Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Payware Developers

Of course that FS9 patch is illegal...as are the activation .dll files for FSX and P3D. Are they readily available? Yes. Do people use them? Yes. Does that make them legal? No.
    Intel 4790K @ 4.7Ghz, MSI Z97 Gaming 7 motherboard, Noctua NH-U12S cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 2133 MHz RAM, nVidia GTX 970 GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit, and other good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by tiger1962 View Post
    Either ignorance is bliss, or a little knowledge is a dangerous thing...

Older games like FS2004 can still be played in current Windows versions by using Microsoft's official secure drive workaround described in this KB article from 2015: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...hics-component

Most of us DO use the NoCD patch, however, because it's a lot less hassle than the official workaround above.

One of the newer patches for W7 “block’s the use of a CD to authenticate and start a game”. The iFly requires the no CD Microsoft patch for it to work. Microsoft must known what they are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by JSMR View Post
    One of the newer patches for W7 “block’s the use of a CD to authenticate and start a game”. The iFly requires the no CD Microsoft patch for it to work. Microsoft must known what they are doing.
    That's true, with the KB3086255 update Microsoft were trying to fix a vulnerability in the third-party secdrv.sys (Secure Rom) driver which could be hacked into: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...hics-component
    However, since Microsoft don't recommend their own workaround(!) and advise us to use it at our own risk, we might as well use the NoCD patch instead.

Tim Wright___________________"The older I get, the better I was..."

4. Default

It's one thing to run a NOCD with a legally purchased game.
    It's another thing to run a NOCD with an illegally obtained game.

Yes, they are both technically illegal but I think the world has bigger problems to worry about! lol
    Mark Daniels

Quote Originally Posted by JSMR View Post

No mention of any NoCD Patch needed here:

http://www.flight1.com/products.asp?product=iflyfs9

http://www.flight1.com/products.asp?product=ifly7442k4

Are you sure YOU know what you are doing?

6. Default

JSMR is quite wrong. MS patched windows and provided a method to allow running of programs that require CD anti-piracy programs. Whether he likes it or not the NoCD patch is a direct violation of the EULA and is a reverse-engineered patch to the executable provided by MS. His opinions are very much his own. Don't rely on them. Skywatcher may not be a lawyer but is quick to believe pure, unsupported, opinion. You will never find the NoCD file on this site for obvious legal reasons.

DJ

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by davidjones View Post
    Skywatcher may not be a lawyer but is quick to believe pure, unsupported, opinion.
    Not quick to believe anything, I don't think it's legal. What I do think and what I did touch on is we can be technically anal about all this or we can put it into a realistic and logical perspective.

We're running a 14 year old game that no longer runs without a CD and that needs an official workaround probably half this community aren't capable of even achieving.

It would be fair to suggest almost every single individual is using a nocd. Where are most people even getting this NOCD they are using? Most are likely downloading it from another completely legit FS site just like Flightsim which is taking a different view of the situation and hosting it. And no, I'm not suggesting Flightsim "should" host it. I'm suggesting we simply look at everything here in perspective. Has anyone ever driven their car and knowingly gone over the speed limit? I hope you all took yourselves to the police and reported yourselves!

Finally, not sure where this thread left payware development for FS9 and became about how we run FS9 toady but what the heck, gives something to read and post about! lol
    Mark Daniels

8. Default

Here is something a thread or two down in this forum that I believe deserves far more attention from the FS community than the nocd issue. It's about having perspective imo:

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showt...tor-com-a-SCAM
    Mark Daniels

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345