Strange error message

westway

Did this just start and what do you when you see it? If you've added any software I'd just do a system restore to a point before the new software was added or before the error showed up. I am assuming you have system protection turned on for the disc on which FSX is installed.

I'm not saying that some people aren't having issues, but:

1. I update my Windows 10 every month when the updates come out,

2. After the update I clean up my system, using the Windows cleanup tool and CCleaner,

3. After that, I clean the registry using CCleaner, leading to

4. I haven't seen most of the issues that many people complain about.

Jim said it - far too many people blame Windows 10, instead of digging down to find out what really is going on, on their own system.

Just my bent 5 Euro-cent's worth -

Jorgen

As reported by others I have TWO rigs running FSX on Win 10 and BOTH have updated with the Creators and subsequent updates with no issues. Indeed, I have encountered no issues whatsoever WRT the Win10 update process since moving to it.

That said, it does appear that some users, and not just those in the simming community, have had this problem BUT it is also worth noting that there is an history of this error also occurring on Win 7 and 8. From what I have seen many of the issues are related to a FAILED update processes and is usually down to two things - an interrupted download OR a failure to allow a restart when prompted.

The issue seems to be easily resolved by....

A. Running a manual Win update session to ensure that all updates have been downloaded - this is essential especially if you have declared that you are on a 'metered' internet connection.....

AND/OR

B. Rebooting the rig, especially if you leave it on constantly.........

Regards

Brian

Hi, I use FSX with Windows 10 update Creator Version 1703 and have no problems. Nearly everybody using Version 1709 has enormous problems with their flightsimulators!

Edit: I found today this:

Re: Win 10 KB4038788 Update crashes my P3D v3

Hello everyone,

Microsoft will release a fix for the child window error in an update on December 12th. This problem was introduced in the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (version 1709).

Regards,

Rob McCarthy

happy landings! Christian:pilot:

Intel i5-6600K CPU @ 3.50GHZ, 4 Kerne, 16 GB

MSI RX 480; M. SATA WD 500 GB;

WD RED PRO 2TB Win 10, 64 bit; FSX Gold Acc.

I am getting a strange error message when I close a flight in FSX, it says " error creating child window" no idea what this means as I have never seen it before in all my years with FSX. Any ideas on what this is and how to fix it?

Close all programs running for/with the simulator first like weather, etc and then close FSX.

Note: I'm running Win 10 fully updated and there is no problems.

BTW, an old option is back again. After pressing "Fly now!" way back in 2015, when Win10 first came out, requesting "Select Aircraft" and then "details" ended up in a black screen of the aircraft. The only way to see the details of the aircraft was from big main splash screen at the beginning, outside the sim. Now it is back, I can get and see the details of the aircraft any time. No more black screen. This is a big plus for me. I think it was "PhantomTweak" who delivered the bad news way back when that it was a new quirk consequence of the new OS. Gone now!

Cheers,

Today I found this:

Hello everyone,

Microsoft will release a fix for the child window error in an update on December 12th. This problem was introduced in the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (version 1709).

Regards,

Rob McCarthy

happy landings! Christian:pilot:

Intel i5-6600K CPU @ 3.50GHZ, 4 Kerne, 16 GB

MSI RX 480; M. SATA WD 500 GB;

WD RED PRO 2TB Win 10, 64 bit; FSX Gold Acc.

I had the WINDOWS Update install last week and I have not had a single issue. Some people believe anything they read as long as it fits their belief system.

Hah. I didn't experience any FSX issues after the Windows 10 creators update. I experienced so many problems with other programs, including my Microsoft keyboard app, that I reverted back before trying FSX.

Asus Prime Z490-P motherboard, Intel i7-10700K CPU, 32GB DDR4 3200 memory, GeForce RTX 2070-8GB video, 1TB M.2 SSD, Windows 10-64 bit, Acer 23"WS LCD and Benq 19" LCD, Logitech Flight Yoke, Thrustmaster Pedals, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick, TrackIR 5, MSFS Deluxe and FSX Deluxe, UTX-USA2, UTX-TAC, GEX-NA, ASN, WOAI

I don't remember anything about it. Of course, I did sleep since then.

I am not guilty of any and all charges agin' me! I swear! (quite often, actually. It's a Marine thing...)

Would you believe not guilty by reason of insanity?

Anywho, Have fun all! I sure do :D

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Fascinating turn of events. I contacted my provider, Cox cable, when my internet connection stopped along with a series of other events shutting down most of my PC's functions. The first tech attempted to remedy the problem without success and sent me over to their more advanced group ( oxymoron ).

For a half hour they had me perform a multitude of function in "safe mode" and out of it. Nothing they had me do corrected the issue, they referred me to Microsoft as their claim was that it was in all probability a result of Microsoft's recent updates to my Windows 10. I was beyond frustrated and took matters into my own hands. Now I am NOT a tech person by any means, however I discovered in Task Manager that almost all of my PC's functions had been disabled, therefore I enabled almost all the functions that seemed relevant to internet connections and some additional functions as well, and as if by "magic" my PC returned to normal. So Microsoft and all your updates, "stick it".

Don't you just love updates? Everything has an update. Update, update, update, update, update, freaking update. Hell, my TV box from Comcast updates once everyday!

There's nothing wrong with an update here and there to address an issue or what have you, but the constant bombardment of this crap is just INSANE! I personally don't use any updates. Crazy, huh? Yet I have never gotten a virus since I used Windows 98se and I didn't know jack about computers. My philosophy is common sense takes precedence when using the Internet above all else. I also use Sandboxie for my browser that's been configured in such a way that nothing sticks after I close my browser (Pale Moon).

One major reason why I don't use Win 10 is due to the updates crap. Although, you can use Shutup 10 I guess. The other reason is due to M$ turning YOU into their product cash cow with Win 10. Never mind the fact the dame OS has a built-in keylogger. Personally, I'll just block all of M$'s ASNs in Pfsense when I do finally upgrade my computer. I reckon that's 10 years out. The system in my sig was an upgrade from a Q6600. So that's my timeline.

I just shake my head with all of the help threads from people with update madness. Here's a running list I've accumulated:

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/i-have-three-machines-all-saturating-a-cpu-core-forever-with-windows-update.2491444/

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/windows-10-updates-automatically-reboots-and-then-stuck.2491473/

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/windows-10-update-dam.2489532/

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/win-7-update-headaches-and-confusion.2489403/

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/odd-windows-update.2489266/

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/win7s-windows-update-may-be-made-of-squirrels.2489213/

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/windows-10-anniversary-update-has-me-pulling-my-hair-out.2489857/

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/issue-with-windows-10-update.2492601/

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/win10-may-have-a-new-networking-issue.2494274/#post-38625961

https://www.computerforum.com/threads/i-need-help-because-this-is-pisting-me-off.240871/

So, I'll stick my nose out, but I have spent many years in tech support, handling complex issues in both hardware and software, and this is the logical conclusion:

This "strange error message", various other error messages and other odd behaviour that has been reported over time in this august forum, are:

NOT Windows 10 problems!

If - repeat IF - they were, I and the others that report no problems would have those issues too!

BUT WE DO NOT HAVE THOSE ISSUES!!!!

Therefore, logically, it is NOT a Windows 10 problem.

Jorgen

So, you can flame me all you want - but try to break down the LOGIC that I set out first, otherwise you don't have a leg to stand on here.

Simply assuming that something that Win 10 has done is the reason why so many functions were disabled can be wrong. Any number of other things, depending on what you have installed, can control 'services' and, therefore, could/may have 'disabled' them.

For example a 3rd party AV or anti-malware suite update (especially if your AV suite includes its own firewall) or even a remote update of your router software by the ISP provider. Some of the disabled functions may even be the result of actions carried out at the request of the ISP techies who, on the basis of your comments, got you to check out loads of things other than, what for me, would have been the obvious thing to check, your internet connection settings.

What needs to be remembered is that the stopping of a single service can force other dependent services to also stop and that restarting the original single service may not automatically force the other dependent services to restart at the same time.

For those who have chosen not to update to Win 10, or indeed update their current older OS, that is your choice. However, those that seem to feel the need to slag off Win 10 at every opportunity seem to be forgetting that ALL OS's (yes that includes Linux and non PC related OS's like Android) have suffered problems relating to updates, irrespective of whether its a forced or voluntary update. That is the nature of the beast when there are so many configurations to contend with.

The simple fact is, all though you wouldn't think so from the 'hype' that surrounds the topic (and with Win10 issues in particular), those that do suffer problems are in the minority. The vast majority of users encounter no problems. It is easy to point to a number of threads that highlight 'issues' with a particular product to present your case that the product is 'flawed' but, of course, you don't see threads that are started simply to state that 'I have just updated to the latest version of.......' because to do so serves no point.

WRT specific comments made by CRJ_simpilot.....

Yes, Win 10 does have a built-in keylogger. However, as with many of the 'privacy' features, it can be easily disabled via the Privacy Settings page.

WRT the statement that MS is allegedly 'turning YOU into their product cash cow with Win 10' is based on what. They offered a free upgrade to millions of users and the current price for those who now wish to buy it is comparable (taking into consideration pricing fluctuations based on time/inflation/taxes etc) to the initial prices at which earlier OS's were released.

Or perhaps you are alluding to previous comments you have made in other threads about privacy and 'forced' ads for MS products - again these can be turned off using various setting pages.

YES it may be a 'unnecessary' or 'unwanted' hassle to do this BUT the fact is that you can turnoff many of the settings that are seen as 'invasion of privacy' by some.

Regards

Brian

Archived