Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Strange error message

Ops!!! Just last night.

Name:  Win10-Dec-7-2017.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  47.1 KB

and all is well.

Cheers,

Me too, Win 10 all current, FSX, no problemos.

So, I'll stick my nose out, but I have spent many years in tech support, handling complex issues in both hardware and software, and this is the logical conclusion:

This "strange error message", various other error messages and other odd behaviour that has been reported over time in this august forum, are:

NOT Windows 10 problems!

If - repeat IF - they were, I and the others that report no problems would have those issues too!

BUT WE DO NOT HAVE THOSE ISSUES!!!!

Therefore, logically, it is NOT a Windows 10 problem.

Jorgen

So, you can flame me all you want - but try to break down the LOGIC that I set out first, otherwise you don't have a leg to stand on here.
    Last edited by jorgen.s.andersen; 12-07-2017 at 01:12 PM.

Simply assuming that something that Win 10 has done is the reason why so many functions were disabled can be wrong. Any number of other things, depending on what you have installed, can control 'services' and, therefore, could/may have 'disabled' them.

For example a 3rd party AV or anti-malware suite update (especially if your AV suite includes its own firewall) or even a remote update of your router software by the ISP provider. Some of the disabled functions may even be the result of actions carried out at the request of the ISP techies who, on the basis of your comments, got you to check out loads of things other than, what for me, would have been the obvious thing to check, your internet connection settings.

What needs to be remembered is that the stopping of a single service can force other dependent services to also stop and that restarting the original single service may not automatically force the other dependent services to restart at the same time.

For those who have chosen not to update to Win 10, or indeed update their current older OS, that is your choice. However, those that seem to feel the need to slag off Win 10 at every opportunity seem to be forgetting that ALL OS's (yes that includes Linux and non PC related OS's like Android) have suffered problems relating to updates, irrespective of whether its a forced or voluntary update. That is the nature of the beast when there are so many configurations to contend with.

The simple fact is, all though you wouldn't think so from the 'hype' that surrounds the topic (and with Win10 issues in particular), those that do suffer problems are in the minority. The vast majority of users encounter no problems. It is easy to point to a number of threads that highlight 'issues' with a particular product to present your case that the product is 'flawed' but, of course, you don't see threads that are started simply to state that 'I have just updated to the latest version of.......' because to do so serves no point.

WRT specific comments made by CRJ_simpilot.....

Yes, Win 10 does have a built-in keylogger. However, as with many of the 'privacy' features, it can be easily disabled via the Privacy Settings page.

WRT the statement that MS is allegedly 'turning YOU into their product cash cow with Win 10' is based on what. They offered a free upgrade to millions of users and the current price for those who now wish to buy it is comparable (taking into consideration pricing fluctuations based on time/inflation/taxes etc) to the initial prices at which earlier OS's were released.

Or perhaps you are alluding to previous comments you have made in other threads about privacy and 'forced' ads for MS products - again these can be turned off using various setting pages.

YES it may be a 'unnecessary' or 'unwanted' hassle to do this BUT the fact is that you can turnoff many of the settings that are seen as 'invasion of privacy' by some.
    Regards

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by jorgen.s.andersen View Post
    So, I'll stick my nose out, but I have spent many years in tech support, handling complex issues in both hardware and software, and this is the logical conclusion:

This "strange error message", various other error messages and other odd behaviour that has been reported over time in this august forum, are:

NOT Windows 10 problems!

If - repeat IF - they were, I and the others that report no problems would have those issues too!

BUT WE DO NOT HAVE THOSE ISSUES!!!!

Therefore, logically, it is NOT a Windows 10 problem.

Jorgen

So, you can flame me all you want - but try to break down the LOGIC that I set out first, otherwise you don't have a leg to stand on here.
    Whilst your logic would initially appear sound, as I pointed out in another thread here, Microsoft has officially admitted that the Fall Creators Update does affect some users, giving the "child window" problem: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...windowex-for-s. It would appear to require a particular set of software interactions to trigger the error and this seems to be why not everyone gets it - in fact, most seem not to.

As to MS snooping on you and stealing your personal details, Microsoft officially says that they only collect anonymous data and add: "This doesn't include any of your content or files, and we take several steps to avoid collecting any information that directly identifies you, such as your name, email address or account ID." Obviously, you may not believe this but a number of independent sites have analysed the data being collected and have confirmed it. Every Internet user, and particularly those using social media, gives away far more personal information on a daily basis than MS collects. Worth noting is that it's not just Windows 10 that's doing it - Windows 7 and 8 have also been doing it for some time. Thinking of changing OS? Apple also collects data as, apparently, does Linux. It's the price we pay for using computers and the Internet.

I quote: "affects some users" - but not all, which it would have, had it been a general Win 10 issue..

My logic stands - as it didn't affect me or several others.

Jorgen

Quote Originally Posted by jorgen.s.andersen View Post
    I quote: "affects some users" - but not all, which it would have, had it been a general Win 10 issue..

My logic stands - as it didn't affect me or several others.

Jorgen
    But it's false logic. The fact that the child window problem is only there after the 1709 update means that it must have been introduced by the update. If that was not the case, those affected would have been affected before the update and they weren't. More to the point, Microsoft have admitted it! Why would they do that if it was nothing to do with the update? No software producer admits to an error that they know they didn't make. I would agree with you were it not for this. There is clearly a vulnerability in the update which wasn't there before and needs a particular set of system calls to expose it. The fact that you, I and many others don't get any problems just means that nothing in our particular installations of FSX makes those system calls.
    Last edited by lesh; 12-08-2017 at 08:22 PM.

The child window issue was introduced on some systems after the 1709 update - but not on all. Therefore, NOT a general Win 10 issue.

Not false logic. But unforgiving.

Jorgen

I have, of course, as many others, been thinking of what could be going on here, and why I don't have the issues that many others have.

So, here's what I have in my system - at least what I can think of right now:

Asus Z170-A motherboard - BIOS updated to level 3504

Intel i7-7700 CPU, running at 4.2 GHz - not overclocked (yet)

nVidia GeForce GTX 960, latest drivers

16 GB of 2133 MHz DDR4 RAM

Win 10 - updated and system cleaned up after updates as described earlier

Visual Basic, Visual C++ and DirectX redistributables from MS applied

uiautomationcore.dll fix applied

The heap fix from Kosta's blog applied

FSX with Acceleration

Freemesh - all areas

UTX and GEX - all areas

Some payware scenery, from Vidan Design and Drzewiecki Design

Some Alphasim (now freeware) aircraft

What I do NOT have (this list is more difficult, and this is NOT finger-pointing at anyone):

ORBX and Aerosoft sceneries

PMDG aircraft

Let's see if we can find some common denominator - it will be difficult, but we should at least try.

Jorgen
    Last edited by jorgen.s.andersen; 12-09-2017 at 03:16 AM.

Addition to the list of stuff I have:

AS16 and AS Cloud Art

FSUIPC, latest version (4.91 I believe), registered

Please note that I do not exonerate the products I have on my system from being possible causes of the error, it's just that on my system they don't cause the error.

Likewise, and VERY IMPORTANT, for listing the stuff I don't have doesn't mean it'll cause the issue, it's just that I don't have it.

Jorgen
    Last edited by jorgen.s.andersen; 12-09-2017 at 03:36 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast