How do i maintain straight and level flight? (C172)

handsomeoigeon

You have 2 choices before you, young pilot: You can turn on the AutoPilot, and set the altitude hold, OR, you can continually trim the plane. Little up, little down, little up, etc ad nauseam. It's a situation inherent to simulators. Real planes, too, to a lesser extent. I personally think it's the reason the autopilot was invented in the first place. Some smart cookie got tired of constantly trimming pitch and power, and invented a machine to do it for him.

One trick is to trim it really close, as close as you are able, then play the power a little bit to try and maintain level flight. Climbing? Fine, lower the power just a hair. It's a balancing act, though, and there are a LOT of factors that change the situation. Fuel burn, OAT, a ton. Any slight change in any of them, trim is changed. Just like any balancing act. Things constantly change. Not as bad as helicopters in a hover, but bad enough.

Does that answer your query?

Why the heck to I keep talking like that today. Sheesh...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

• 2 weeks later...
It seems that whatever I do I always start to go slightly upwards or downwards slowly but surely. I'm trimming it with orange dot on the artificial horizon on the white line but it always goes up. How often am I meant to retrim the aircraft?

https://imgur.com/a/1xz5h

Part of that is consistent with real life. The accuracy of the method you are using to adjust the trim may also be a factor. Finally power adjustments can assist in the area. A little extra power will cause the aircraft to ascend. IRL it is the power that is used for that final finesse of vertical speed.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Karl

I7-4770k, ASUS Z87pro, 8GB RAM, GTX770

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived