Should I upload this fictional airline default FSX CRJ7 livery? Should I make more?

Akatala

Okay so for years I've been messing around with a little one-person-band sort of fictional virtual airline that I've had fun working backstories into and using as a reason to learn to do this ant that with databases. After going through countless pathetic names, I finally landed on one that is pretty awesome and plays into my little side-fictions: Quest.. as in an adventure that leads the average person to travel in the first place. I also knew that because I had chosen a red/white/black color palette (taken from the retro 50's diner design going on in my apt), I had to work to try and make it somewhat different from the Quest Kodiak aircraft/manufacturer trademark designs. But I wanted to start out simple with default aircraft. I kept asking around looking for painters but apparently the Default Repaint challenge was a bit too daunting for anyone to try. I kept getting POSKY suggestions, which become a hassle for someone who has gotten use to using VC for most operations.

So I finally decided to try it myself despite my art skills being in the freehand area rather than vector art. I used traditional art tools to freehand scribble a concept to work from.

QST-ConceptLivery.jpg

Then, I loading up my browser with a ton of tutorials and my image editors with some of the paint-jobs that the FSX team had done with a CRJ7. It was an off-and-on battle with frustration and overwhelming desire to fly something in the colors I wanted. (I later discovered these same colors are issued in the decor of my apt living room so.. posters are planned. lulz) Eventually, after getting more comfortable with doing things between PaintTool Sai and Photoshop Elements, I ended up with something I really like.

Quest-Uno-Scheme-Preview1-s.png

Quest-Uno-Scheme-Preview2-s.png

I have a blank tail id for this particular plane as well as the version with the tail number. My husband came up with the geek slogan "Relax, folks. We got this!" on this first plane which I can't stop giggling at. A second plane has its slogan as "Venture with pride!" that I'm using to port into other languages.

The two front doors tend to change color depending on how the light hits them despite the red being painted onto a stock white plane. Maybe it has something to do with the multiply mode I used to apply the layers so that the labels and rivets and other details showed up. Whatever the case, I'm not really motivated enough to try to change this little factor. I'm more curious on what other designs I can add or how I might apply this to other aircraft types (except Airbus cause I hate Airbus). PS elements kinda limits me a wee bit. :/

So... Should I share this? Should I make more to share?

Regards,

~Christina Waters

Hya,

looks great!! Sharp too.

I normally don't like fictional ones that much, as they are very personal. but this looks like it could be a real airline.

Wouldn't mind flying it from time to time.

Publishing or not is of course entirely your choice.

I like these.

I know how a small request can lead to a lot of work so I hate to ask, but if you want to create

more I would also like the 700 without slogan. (Just with "Quest". Lean clean and mean.)

I don't fly the crj-700 all that much. Mostly stick to the default 737 and 747.

If I remember correctly there are more crj-700 paints with the door issue. I don't mind that at all.

I think those were Ai planes.

If I see the door effect on other paints again I will let you know which ones.

Again, looks great!! Well done.:)

(My own painting efforts are very amateurish compared to this.)

Happy flights,

il88pp.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Looks very good!

It is possibble to merge the default CRJ 700 VC with the Posky CRJ 700, I have uploaded a couple of files to the library, a complete Posky CRJ 700 with VC, hop_posky_crj702.zip & a Posky CRJ 700 VC merge, poskyfsxcrj-700vc.zip. The Posky CRJ 700 is much easier & better to paint & the textures are higher resolution so more detail can be added, you will have to find a layered paint kit for it though.

I took two pics of the default crj700, and that one has the door issue also I think.

I read about that a loong time ago. Not sure I remember it all. But it had something to do with the texture for the left door being shown on the right door. And vice versa.

Not sure if it was the texture of the door that was swapped, or if perhaps the light reflections on the doors were swapped.

If it is because of reflection, then that may not be fixable. I think the reflection of a surface is defined in the .mdl file (model). And models can't be edited.

crj700-right.JPG

crj700 left.JPG

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I think the door reflection issue might be down to the texture alpha channel, the fuselage is on CRJ_700_1_T & the doors are on CRJ_700_2_T, the position of the doors on the CRJ_700_2_T alpha channel appears to be lighter than that of the fuselage alpha, so to fix this the CRJ_700_2_T alpha needs to be edited, the easiest way to do this is to load the CRJ_700_2_T dds texture into DXTbmp, export alpha & save the dds as a 32bit bmp & then open both textures as layers in your graphics editor & edit the alpha channel layer.

Archived