WOW! These large ads and pop-ups are annoying!

scottm

Sorry, Admins, but seriously, far too much of the page is now covered with targeted ads, and there's the annoying ad pop-ups that reappear every time you visit the next page. Is there any way to at least get rid of the pop-ups for good?

I may not be a first class member, but I do come here for nearly ALL of my flight sim purchases to help the site with some revenue. Please, consider at least getting rid of the pop-ups at the bottom of the screen.

Thanks for listening/reading. :-)

I'm pretty sure Nels doesn't get a penny of your expenditures from the Pilot Shop. How's about bypassing your next payware expenditure and use it to help this site maintain existence?!

Your help will be appreciated!:)

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Flight sim.com and the Pilot Shop are two separate entities. Nels runs this site, and is not connected to the Pilot Shop.

You really should consider the small amount of a First Class membership here to help support this site. It's a very small price for what you get in return.

Darrell

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I did not realize these two were not connected. That's why I kept coming back here. OK. I'll take that under advisement. If I do upgrade, do the ads go away? Thx.

Nels and Rick are in the process of making it happen for anyone who becomes a First Class Member. If I see a First Class Membership tag under your screen name, I'll share the "Secret Handshake" with you. That will chase the ads away.

I'm a first class member and I get an ad pop up from the bottom of the screen on nearly every page change. It started happening almost a week ago.

JOE- Asus P8Z68- V Pro; CPU: Intel i7-2600K 3.4ghz OC'd 4.6Ghz,

8G Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3-1600, EVGA 1080Ti 11G ACX Cooler

Samsung 500G OS drive, 3 WD 1T Raptor HDD

Well well...signed back in after a while and now the pop up ad is gone. Interesting.

JOE- Asus P8Z68- V Pro; CPU: Intel i7-2600K 3.4ghz OC'd 4.6Ghz,

8G Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3-1600, EVGA 1080Ti 11G ACX Cooler

Samsung 500G OS drive, 3 WD 1T Raptor HDD

It's was a nice handshake and appreciated but accessing through Tapatalk brings even bigger ads unless you purchase it's VIP upgrade [emoji2][emoji31]

While I'm down here at LO8, I have ads at the right side only, no popups top or bottom. Using an Android pad without Tapatalk! Home computer uses the "secret sauce".

Hi,

I've added the "ublock Origin" extension to Chrome and highly recommend it. I was experiencing popups with blaring audio but no more. It has also eliminated a lot of inline ads. Strange, but it feels a bit frightening; like I've gone back to a simpler time when I wasn't under a constant attack from a barrage of ads.

Jim F.

... a constant attack from a barrage of ads.

Jim F.

Advertising has turned the "information superhighway" into the marketing dirt road. I've always been amazed that we could make a phone call without first listening to a 30 second promo for something; every other medium of communication having been turned into just another avenue for marketing.

FWIW, I've used AdBlock for years and never see probably 90% of the ads online (how I'd love a version for television). In fact until a similar thread a couple of years ago I didn't even know Flightsim ran ads (sorry Nels, lol, but I'm not in the market for anything so ads are wasted on me anyway).

Hi All,

I started a thread on this subject a while back and it got a lot of attention as did this one. I got to thinking about things and took the advice of Zippy and others and got the First Class Membership. I DO enjoy this hobby and FlightSim.Com makes it just that much more enjoyable. I've been on here as a "belly member" for too long. I was putting up with the ads but when it got right down to it I guess $30 for a years worth of entertainment that I get from this site is pretty cheap. I encourage the rest to drop a bit into the kitty as well so we all can continue to enjoy FlightSim.

Bill

Bill Mattson

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Airspeed, altitude and ideas, bad to run out of all three at the same time

Hi All,

I started a thread on this subject a while back and it got a lot of attention as did this one. I got to thinking about things and took the advice of Zippy and others and got the First Class Membership. I DO enjoy this hobby and FlightSim.Com makes it just that much more enjoyable. I've been on here as a "belly member" for too long. I was putting up with the ads but when it got right down to it I guess $30 for a years worth of entertainment that I get from this site is pretty cheap. I encourage the rest to drop a bit into the kitty as well so we all can continue to enjoy FlightSim.

Bill

I congratulate you Sir on your good judgement! Your "secret handshake" has been sent. Now if anyone else has been paying attention to this thread, you should already know what the "secret" is!

My few pennies for this topic:

I am using Firefox, the most recent version of it to be specific, along with uBlock Origin and some other addons.

Whenever there is the chance for a website to get some money with the displayed ads (and I support that way of the admin(s) getting a little money off it), I disable uBlock Origin, unless there is no problem with the website's performance. There are reasons why Adblockers have become so famous, one reason being the high CPU usage of animated ads on older machines.

For FlightSim.Com, the ads might be a little intrusive especially for hardcore long time users, but surely not as intrusive as thousands of pop-ups trying to lead you to some scamming/phishing site. Websites using that kind of adverts surely have some kind of shady business going on...

As long as I can be sure that the admin(s) are not milking the last dime out of their users, I gladly disable my adblocker - milking the last dime out of their users being e.g. super obtrusive ads (e.g. of fine girls living near you and so on... you get the gist); or even BitCoin-miners running in the background without letting the user know (until the user notices how their machine is heating up).

I guess that is a fair compromise - slow speeds (well, 50kb/s * 2 for that one parallel download one might have running) and a few not-so-obtrusive ads.

But a little critic... just a little!

As long as the ads are getting a little more optimized, every advert on this site can be seen as acceptable imo (as a user that uses this website and its functionalities for free of course)

Why optimized? Well, take a look:

Ns8DxuB.png

This ad is way too wide to be displayed. This is not only the case for this unique advert, but for the whole area where this kind of wide ad is displayed. I'm using a FullHD 1920x1080-screen, if that is useful.

A little fixing there and my only critic can be seen as outdated. :)

🛫 Flying with FSX:SE 🛬

i7-8700K @ 4.8GHz // 32GB RAM // RTX 3070Ti // 1TB + 2x 2TB SSDs // 1x 8TB & 2x 4TB HDDs

peregrine-simulations.jimdo.com

• 4 weeks later...
"Make the ads go away" is what I always say. That, along with the faster downloads and so much more, anyone can afford 8 cents a day for all you have here as a result of 1st Class membership. It's only about a nickel per day if opting for 3 years, supporting this website forward.

Granted, not everyone can afford it, especially these days... though for those who can but won't: One may tell more about a person by what they take than by what they give. Food for thought, my fellow flight simmers.

*edit*- Heya mrzippy: Will forego the secret handshake (too Masonic) for a decoder ring.

Interesting too that once, back about 15 years ago here when I was posting as "CircleEagle", I'd departed for some time. Upon returning years later, a friend here (an ATC in Cleveland) had asked me if I'd been posting as mrzippy. "Uh... no." :).

Can only be 1 zippy around here;) If you still get the popup ads just use a free adblocker for your web browser.

• 7 months later...

Just a tip: If you see ad with something you might want to price, or read up on, RIGHT click on ad and then choose 'Open Link in New Tab' (context menu). You go look at item. Then when done just 'X' out and you are back to where you were at FSCom. In fact you can RIGHT click any link and do the same. Even right click 'Forum'. Or a thread. ANY LINK in other words. Even at YouTube to go (maybe) watch another video (or video(s)) without loosing your 'place'. Just click on thumbnail as it is a 'link' so it will work. Life is good. Happy surfing.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Archived