A2A B-17 Question

Tom68

I’m looking into picking this up; it looks great. I do have one concern.

The manual “recommends” turning auto rudder off. I don’t currently have rudder pedals and fly with it on. Someday I plan to add that dimension to my flying, but not now.

So my question is how will this perform? Are they recommending this just to add to the realism or will I encounter issues?

Thanks for any help.

Hey Tom68,

I have this plane and I love it as an uncle of mine was a command pilot of a B-17 during WWII. I have pedals but I believe the recommendation to turn auto rudder off is just to increase realism. It should perform well IMO.

joe

If you want control of rudder and aelerons separate (possible with joystick with twist grip, or rudder pedals and yoke, or with keyboard.) don't use autorudder.

If you want to only use aelerons. And want rudder to be added automatically in turns. Switch autorudder on.

For all planes in fs.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If you want control of rudder and aelerons separate (possible with joystick with twist grip, or rudder pedals and yoke, or with keyboard.) don't use autorudder.

If you want to only use aelerons. And want rudder to be added automatically in turns. Switch autorudder on.

For all planes in fs.

Just to add to this....I use autorudder and have the top 3 buttons of my joystick programmed for rudder control. I like manual control during takeoff to help keep me centered on the runway.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Thanks for the responses.

I've recently started using a Saitek yoke and 2 throttle quadrants. If I keep my old joystick plugged in the twist still operates the rudder, so i know I can operate it.

But, I'm still pretty new to flying (I'm not a real pilot, just a wanna be) and i have my hands full without worrying about slipping & skidding in turns. I plan to start using the rudder eventually, but was hoping to put that off for a while.

That's why I was hoping I could start getting to know the B-17 before adding that complication.

Archived