Ads gone mad

Mark Hurst

Not on my pc yet.

But on phone, yes.

I click a link. All I get is an Ad. Not even a button to make it go away.

Have t click "back", and then click link again to thread.

Loading page takes long on phone anyway.

Each time this happens it takes me over a minute to do these steps.

Instead of the 25 seconds or so it would normally take to load a page.

Occasionally I get a page right away. But more often an add.

Sometimes it is twice in a row. Ad, "back" Ad, "back", finally page.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Not on my pc yet.

But on phone, yes.

I click a link. All I get is an Ad. Not even a button to make it go away...

Bummer. I generally don't look at forums on the phone but sometime in the last couple of weeks I've seen a sharp rise in the number of and intrusive presentation of ads on this site. I currently get 9 ads on the FSX forum page every time and they're no longer just around the edges. Maybe I clicked something wrong somewhere but clearly the forum software is plumbed to allow this.

No matter, I've discovered a little thing called UBLOCK and installed it my browser. Now I'm not seeing any of them except for a little number on the toolbar telling me how many ads it has blocked :cool: Maybe this has a downside, but for now it's a big improvement.

MarkH

C0TtlQd.jpg

...but sometime in the last couple of weeks I've seen a sharp rise in the number of and intrusive presentation of ads on this site...

Same here.

BTW I also use an AdBlocker most of the time. I know I'm not supporting the site that way, but I am supporting my mental sanity (says the guy who has two Ads in his sig :rolleyes:).

Wim

b727fcaptain.jpgx701captain5.jpg

Yes, same here. I'm getting extremely uncomfortable coming to this website as it literally displays a bunch of ads from where I was a few minutes before. Feels like I'm being stalked.
i5-10600K @ 5.0 GHz, Gigabyte Z490M motherboard, RTX 2080 Super 8GB, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p monitor, CH Products Fighterstick, Pro Throttle and Pro Pedals, Track IR 5, Oculus Quest 2, Windows 10 64-bit

Same, sometimes get an ad that sits in the middle of the list of forum threads and breaks each page of forum threads into 2 parts separated by the ad.

The blue Reply to Thread button never works either, have to use the quick reply function.

Hi Folks,

Sorry Nels - I realize I'm a freeloader as far as this site is concerned (although I have paid in the past) and I'm willing to accept some ads to help defray costs - but this is completely unsat and I've been here since your earliest days... This doesn't work for me...

Regards,

Scott

bJQZKiw.png

Hmm, I just used the upper reply to thread balloon to post this message (Firefox).

Nels and I wanted to let you know that we are working to remove these new ads

from the First Class Member Layout. We have to work with the provider to make

them go away. Please be patient.

Blue Skies!

Rick

Hmm, I just used the upper reply to thread balloon to post this message (Firefox).

Nels and I wanted to let you know that we are working to remove these new ads

from the First Class Member Layout. We have to work with the provider to make

them go away. Please be patient.

Blue Skies!

Rick

That's excellent, Rick! We need new First Class Membership! I don't want to see this site shut down.:eek:

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

I can see how to change the skin to mobile layout on the web page on my iPad but not how to change to mobile format within Tapatalk itself as there doesn't seem to a profile editor specific to the group.

What I meant earlier is that Tapatalk offer additional ad-free VIP subscriptions for a price.

I regularly click on the ads. As a veteran living on a pension I don't have the money to be a first class member. But clicking on the ads helps support the site.

All of you who are whining when was the last time you clicked on an ad to help this site? Will the whining increase when the site no longer exists because everyone just sat and cried? Quit being so selfish.

I regularly click on the ads

I suppose you're well-intentioned but you need to think it through. Pernicious ad-clicking is cheating the advertisers so it's morally dubious, but it also subverts the system you're claiming to support. In the long term vendors will simply stop paying for advertising if enough people are cheating. I would also guess that encouraging pernicious ad-clicking breaks the terms of any revenue-sharing agreements this site has with advertisers and so you might expect to be sanctioned for promoting it. If you have any dealings with platforms that allow you to trade - Amazon, eBay, YouTube, etc., etc. - you will have seen them evolve more sophisticated systems to prevent cheating (and to disqualify cheats) over the years and they're better for it.

Personally, I click on ads now and then if they appeal to me, because occasionally it leads me to new things that I find interesting. And sometimes I end up spending money, which benefits someone else as well. That's how it's supposed to work. It's an ecosystem and if it works well enough for everyone involved the ecosystem persists and evolves. Ecosystems can always sustain a level of cheating but it works both ways. When the advertising gets too pushy or intrusive or dishonest it's because someone in the web of interconnected give-and-take has tried to skew things too far in their favour. Sooner or later people will stop coming and it will fall apart.

MarkH

C0TtlQd.jpg

Blue Skies!

Rick

Well, odd, it just worked for me too! I tried top and bottom balloons and both worked. Two other times in the past they just did nothing after clicking on them. Using Firefox as well, all good now.

Archived