Sponsored Ads in Recent Posts

bmatt569

Nels will come along in a minute and inform you that the costs of maintaining this site are greater than subscription income so he is trialing the ads. Subscription members still see targeted ads.

Fair dues I think but I personally would consider paying a premium to not see random or targeted ads.

I am a First Class Member and I don't have ANY objection to Nels getting added revenue from the ads to keep the site maintained and profitable. That is the name of the game. It's at all sites. What's the beef?

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Nels will come along in a minute and inform you that the costs of maintaining this site are greater than subscription income so he is trialing the ads. Subscription members still see targeted ads.

Fair dues I think but I personally would consider paying a premium to not see random or targeted ads.

Become a First Class member and I'll clue you in on the secret of not seeing the ads;) Keep in mind that the only way Nels makes any money from those ads on the site is if you click and open them. Otherwise...nada!

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

My response to the OP was almost paraphrasing the same response Nels gave me a few weeks ago. There is no beef and membership is a personal choice based on the benefits of doing so, not an elite club. When a site trials a new revenue stream then it should expect comment and feedback. I see nothing derogatory or cynical in my response.

So, my personal feedback is; if ad-free was a 1st class membership benefit then I'd subscribe tomorrow.

So, my personal feedback is; if ad-free was a 1st class membership benefit then I'd subscribe tomorrow.

My feedback would be: If everyone would splurge their $, or Euros, or Federation credits, or even a few quatloos, then Nels would not need to have weird advertising here.

Gut feeling says that if the site can't garner more memberships or, at the very least, people can click on the advertisements, flightsim.com may be no more.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Obviously, from this thread and another one one the same subject trying to fund this site is becoming more expensive. I would really like to be able to become a First Class Member (hopefully by Christmas that might happen). But, like others on this site and others like it as well, we are on fixed incomes with a lot of other people and organizations wanting a piece of the pie. Do I have payware on my computer, yes. Do I plan on getting more in the future, I hope so. Could I pay to become a First Class Member instead of getting another payware something-or-other, certainly. And, with this new round of ads on here I most probably will drop a little in the kitty here instead of getting something else. Grandma and I aren't going hungry or homeless due to this but all, please understand, I will have to decide when I can afford to become a paying member of FlightSim.Com.

Bill Mattson

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Airspeed, altitude and ideas, bad to run out of all three at the same time

...Could I pay to become a First Class Member instead of getting another payware something-or-other, certainly.

Yes but why would you pay $$ to someone who's indirectly related to FS development charging you a fee to download the hard work of others who did all the work and gave it for free? Why not just go to Avsim where you can download it full port for free? The best interests of FS advancement are served when you support the developers on the cutting edge and moving forward, that means save your pennies and support a payware developer that's busting his ass to be better instead of supporting this anti-P3D crap around here where nobody actually does anything besides whine. If this site had it's way they'd lock the state of flight simulation down in 2006 to preserve the value of an antiquated freeware library, we've moved way beyond that now and it's been without the help of sites like flightsim.com trying to stop it with the anti-P3D crap. Sites like this need to meet their own destiny and ultimately go away, if you oppose the community you're attempting to serve you can expect to fail. Pretty simple.

Yes but why would you pay $$ to someone who's indirectly related to FS development charging you a fee to download the hard work of others who did all the work and gave it for free? Why not just go to Avsim where you can download it full port for free? The best interests of FS advancement are served when you support the developers on the cutting edge and moving forward, that means save your pennies and support a payware developer that's busting his ass to be better instead of supporting this anti-P3D crap around here where nobody actually does anything besides whine. If this site had it's way they'd lock the state of flight simulation down in 2006 to preserve the value of an antiquated freeware library, we've moved way beyond that now and it's been without the help of sites like flightsim.com trying to stop it with the anti-P3D crap. Sites like this need to meet their own destiny and ultimately go away, if you oppose the community you're attempting to serve you can expect to fail. Pretty simple.

You could not PAY me to use avsim. The people over their are the dregs of the flightsim community. Rude and obnoxious all the time.

Funny, you say Flightsim.com is so bad but here you are! Now why would I take the advice of someone who can not take their own.

I think it is time for you to meet your destiny and go away. I doubt you will though. You will not be able to resist the urge to say something back to me. :)

I am now going to get my first ever first class membership next month just because of Jim Robinson. :)

Gut feeling says that if the site can't garner more memberships or, at the very least, people can click on the advertisements, flightsim.com may be no more.

10-4

I click several each morning...takes seconds...

Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz LGA 1150 PNY GeForce GTX 780 3072MB GDDR5 PCIe 3.0 x16 Video

Gigabit Z97 Gaming 3 LGA 1150 ATX Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB DDR3-1600

SanDisk 128GB SATA III 6Gb/s 2.5" Internal Solid State

You could not PAY me to use avsim. The people over their are the dregs of the flightsim community. Rude and obnoxious all the time.

I take great exception to that comment.

I post on AVSim and have received a lot of help from their members.

We are not the dregs of the Flight Sim community and I'm never rude or obnoxious!

There's room for both sites, in fact the more the merrier.

...........supporting this anti-P3D crap..........

AND

..........of sites like flightsim.com trying to stop it with the anti-P3D crap...........

So, flightsim.com is an anti-P3D site is it???????...........................

It has a dedicated P3D forum, allows the upload of P3D compatible files and has P3D related News and Features items........hardly the actions you would expect of a site that, as YOU claim, is allegedly so against a particular product.........

Regards

Brian

If that's the way you feel, why come here at all? Remember, this site DOES NOT CHARGE you a penny, unless you feel the desire to become a first class member and get its benefits.

If this site had it's way they'd lock the state of flight simulation down in 2006 to preserve the value of an antiquated freeware library, we've moved way beyond that now and it's been without the help of sites like flightsim.com trying to stop it with the anti-P3D crap.

I REALLY don't understand this one. An antiquated library? Sure, there's a lot of old stuff, but that's for people who actually still use FS98 through FS2004, even FSX, and there's more coming in all the time. And there's still stuff for P3D, too.

And where is "the anti-P3D crap"? Sure, there are certain members here who don't much care for it, as is their right, but I doubt you've heard Nels, Dan or Rick be that way, and there are a LOT of pro-P3D folks here, even a dedicated forum for them (more than one, actually, including pix, etc.).

Not everyone thinks this site should go away (I don't understand why you apparently think so), as it is very useful in so many ways, and is generally a friendly place, unlike some sites I could name -- Nels' policy is to keep it that way, which is MUCH to my preference.

if you oppose the community you're attempting to serve

HUH????

I don't even understand why you're here, if you feel that way.

'Nuff said...

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Archived