Upgrades for a Flight SIM PC

Hi guys,

I have been given a PC that I intend to use solely for using FSX Steam Edition on. As Flight SIMS need to achieve a good FPS (frames per second) rate and I am aware I will need to add one or two upgrades so what would you advise?

I have been informed that Gigabyte does not support some of the more popular graphics cards, I am not sure if this is true or not.

The PC was built on the 12 April 2017.

PC Spec:

Large Dragon case, big enough to take upgrades.

Pentium P4 Model E-600BR 600w power supply unit.

Gigabyte Ultra Durable Duel Graphics/Motherboard, GA-F2A78M-HD2

AMD A8-7600 Radeon R7, 10 Compute Cores, 4C + 6G, 3.10Ghz Processor.

8 GB FM2/DDR3 RAM

1 TB Hard Disk

DVD/RW Player

1 x small cooling fan mounted on the Gigabyte PCB, 1 x large cooling fan mounted in the front of the case and 2 x large cooling fans mounted in the top of the case.

Thanks for looking.

MIke

Although I am not that familiar with AMD cpu's, just comparing it on Passmark's site...it looks like it would be "ok" for FSX but may not handle the highly dense areas too well, as it benches well below what I have presently (i7 2700K @ 4.3 ghz).

Here's the comparison site for reference:

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?id=2311

That system also looks like it's using onboard graphics, which is usually not a good idea for fps. There again though, I am not that familiar with the Radeon gpu's. 8gb of memory is good though, but FSX won't use more than 3.5-4 GB as it is a 32-bit application. Still should help if you run other apps simultaneously I would think.

If you Gigabyte motherboard has extra slots available then it should be able to take a standalone graphics card. Also, you may be able to overclock that cpu, which could help.

Rhett

I have been informed that Gigabyte does not support some of the more popular graphics cards, I am not sure if this is true or not.

Ah, no. You can put whatever video card in there so long as it's not a bottle neck, is compatible with the slot and you have a PSU that can power it.

Archived