Black Jetways?

SamIsAHusky

I don't have any payware airport addons, so all freeware AFCAD files. I noticed that all of the sudden, ALL my jetways at ALL airports are black.

Some AFCAD files I have require jetway extensions, so I copied the JFK Jetway files to the correct folder as instructed (I've done this MANY times before without problems). There are 2 things I can think of that caused this:

1) there was one AFCAD i downloaded that wanted JFK jetways and another jetway from somewhere else in FSX copied and it was around that time the jetways went black. But I don't remember what AFCAD it was to go back and see the readme, and I don't remember what other jetways I had to copy.

2) I did at one point have AES installed, but since uninstalled it. The problem isn't at AES airports tho, its all airports, even ones AES wouldn't touch,

So I could take an airport like GA18 which is a small grass runway in between trees Georgia USA and on AFCAD, add a parking spot and a jetway. in FSX, the jetway will be black.

How can I fix this? Seems like the textures for the jetways have just vanished. The jetways are there, they are just without color/texture.

There's no reason to become alarmed, and we hope you'll enjoy the rest of your flight. By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?

Found this from a post back in 2011:

The following files were missing from Scenery/Global/Textures.

AIR_Jetway01Specular.dds, AIR_Jetway2.dds, AIR_Jetway2_lm.dds, AIR_Jetway01.dds

AIR_Jetway01_lm.dds, AIR_Jetway01Bump.dds

With luck, I had a recent backup where I found the files by searching for �jetway�

So after loading them back into my current Textures all is well.

Tagaloa (Peter)

I looked in the Scenery/Global/Textures folder and I have 4 of the 6 files listed, but I'm missing AIR_Jetway1.dds and AIR_Jetway01_lm.dds

I did a search in the entire FSX folder for "air_jetway" and the 2 missing files don't show up anywhere. Why would they both go missing? How can I get them back?

***I WILL UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES DO A REINSTALL OF FSX. I have thousands of hours of flight time and as mush time invested in add-ons and upgrades.***

There's no reason to become alarmed, and we hope you'll enjoy the rest of your flight. By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?

A few options........

1. Check to see if the missing files have been quarantined by your AV suite. If so, and you are happy that the files are safe, you should be able to restore them and then set the AV suite to ignore the specific files in future scans - DO NOT set the AV suite to ignore the specific threat that it detected just the files.

2. At point 1) in your OP you state that you installed an AFCAD that you think may be the cause. By default, if you haven't made any changes, Windows should be making regular restore points, after win updates and other installs so try restoring to a restore point before the problem occurred - BUT NOTE - this may not work as the restore point may not have the relevant files AND you will need to allow windows to reinstall any updates that have occurred since that restore point date.

Regards

Brian

***I WILL UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES DO A REINSTALL OF FSX. I have thousands of hours of flight time and as mush time invested in add-ons and upgrades.***

Can't you just use another computer to temporarilly install FSX ?

There's no need for it to be actually able to run FSX.

Install, grab the textures and uninstall. Or leave it if you can, for when you have another mishap in the future.

Wim

b727fcaptain.jpgx701captain5.jpg

Can't you just use another computer to temporarilly install FSX ?

There's no need for it to be actually able to run FSX.

Install, grab the textures and uninstall. Or leave it if you can, for when you have another mishap in the future.

Wim

+1 A backup of a virgin install is a must. If you don't want to waste your HDD space, then put it on a USB storage device.

"but I'm missing AIR_Jetway1.dds." I looked on my Sim and only found Air_Jetway01.dds

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

The jetways he speaks of are notdefault FSX moving jetways.

These are ADE jetways. Well... not really.

Actually they are Jetways that come from Objet Libraries. THe ones that are separately downloaded when installing an addon airport that shows these.

(If you choose not to install them, no problem, the jeways will simply not appear. No issues, just aiport looks a little dull.)

You also need to install the object libraries if you want to create airports with ADE and add the nice cool objects that all sorts of very kind people created and shared for us to enjoy.

The file: AIR_Jetway1.dds

must be from either an Object Library, or from AES.

I would guess from AES. I have many object libraries, I don't have that filename on my pc. But I do not have AES.

then

Air_Jetway01.dds

Air_Jetway01_lm.dds

These are default files.

But these two could have been removed if you tried to un-install an Addon.

There is an Addon that gives you different looking jetways. It contains two files to add:

Air_Jetway01.dds

Air_Jetway01_lm.dds

These would overwrite the defaults. SO it says in the instructions to back up these two files in advance.

(Addon filename: hsbc_jetway_textures.zip

available here: http://www.fs2000.org/2013/07/18/fsx-hsbc-replacement-jetway-textures-2/)

If you "removed the addon" by simply deleting the files. You have missing textures, so the jetway model shows up black.

I see some people had issues when installing that addon. For example this thread:

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?304862-HSBC-FSX-Jetway-Texture-Replacement

And this thread shows how it should be done.:)

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?305770-question-red-light-on-jetway-not-lit-not-sure-it-ever-was-but-want-it-lit-up!&highlight=hsbc

You mentioned more filenames. But too nackered to look any further.

The addon I mentioned adds only the 2 files I mentioned. The other filenames must be something else.

Haven't checked if they are default files.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I’m going to say the issue isn’t AES related since it was over a year ago I got AES and well over 6 months ago I uninstalled it. I did keep the AES folder but outside FSX folder. This issue started in the past 2 weeks.

The jetways still show up and they still animate, they just have no texture so I’m pretty sure that’s the 2 missing files I have. AIR_jetway1.dds and AIR_jetway1_lm.dds should be the day and night textures for the default FSX jetway.

I would assume the missing files are FSX default since they are the textures for FSX default jetways. A search in the entire FSX folder did not turn up the missing files, nor did a search on the entire computer drive. The files haven’t been overwritten, they are completely gone. I looked in the disks for FSX but can’t find the files there either. Disks have extremely limited files named with Scenery/Global/Texture that I found on the acceleration disk but the rest of the files in the .cab files are coded so I can’t see what I need to see.

I’m in the middle of a 16 hour flight so it will be some time before I can try the suggestions given already.

I don’t think windows restore will work for me. I don’t know exactly when the problem started so I could end up losing months of work I’ve done on a variety of projects on the computer. I do know it was within the past 2-3 weeks but that would mean I’d have to go back to a restore point a month ago. If I had the time, I could use gmax or some other program to make the textures myself but with working full time and trying to keep up flight hours on my Virtual Airline, I don’t have time to take on a new project like that.

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?251058-Missing-Jetway-Textures

this post offers some additional options I can look at. The screenshot on this post looks exactly like my jetways.

I know the problem started when I had to dial back some graphics setting in FSX scenery options because I started getting Out Of Memory error trying to fly into LFPG (stupid 32-bit FSX running on 64-bit system problem not computer hardware problem). That was the first time I got OOM error in years, but it happened 3 times in a row trying to fly the same KATL-LFPG route with the 3rd attempt being with double to RAM space on the computer (before I realized FSX OOM has nothing to do with RAM).

I'll play around with the scenery settings and add-on order again after this flight. Problem with that is I could get the jetways texture to show up again but then run into the OOM error after a long flight again.

http://prntscr.com/haylod

That screenshot shows that ADE sees jetways as Jetway01 by searching GUID bfcdf52b-9142-415c-8318-03c1b92ca9d9 ... I would assume that would be referring to textures AIR_Jetway01(_lm).dds ...ADE sees the file but doesn't see testure

testure is a typo I often make. should be texture of course.

Really? I'm here for a problem with jetways, not a spelling lesson. Keep it on topic please.

Air_Jetway01.dds

Air_Jetway01_lm.dds

Are in a fully default fsx install.

The addon I mentioned has replacement files to make it look different.

(make backups of the originals.)

Are all present in a fully default fsx accel install as well.

I guess there could be addons that have replacements they install. Who knows.

-----

Yoour OOM has nothing at all to do with any of this.

It is not an error that you get because of a missing file.

It is an error you get because you are trying to show so much on the screen, and so detailed, that the computer is just not managing to show everything.

Everything to be shown, millions of little details, needs to be loaded to memory first. Then when showing it, it needs to be found in memory again.

To be able to find it, each bit of data needed has an "Adress" (Virtual Adress)

The number of adresses is not infinite.

When you want to load so much that it runs out of Adresses. YOu get an OOM.

Nothing you can do but dial the details down, or use less high detailed addon planes and airports.

Or.. buy a better pc. Maybe.....but....

It has nothing to do with more Ram.

Nothing with a fast processor either.

And if you have a 64bit System now, there is probably no way to increase the Virtual Adress Space.

It's very simply limited.

\You will not get an OOM with a default fsx, frewware addons, etc.

Parking a PMDG aircraft on an Aerosoft Mega Airport with AES (all payware).

will almost certainly cause an OOM straight away.

Dial down the details. Only way to get around the OOM.

About the spelling, you said:

"I do not have a file named texture, but not a file named 'testure'?"

I responded with an answer to explain.

You removed your earlier post. And then rudely say: "It is not a spelling lesson".

Could you try being a little less rude??

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Air_Jetway01.dds

Air_Jetway01_lm.dds

-----

It is an error you get because you are trying to show so much on the screen, and so detailed, that the computer is just not managing to show everything.

Everything to be shown, millions of little details, needs to be loaded to memory first. Then when showing it, it needs to be found in memory again.

Nothing you can do but dial the details down, or use less high detailed addon planes and airports.

And if you have a 64bit System now, there is probably no way to increase the Virtual Adress Space.

I really don't think you're getting what I'm saying.

1) I can't make backup copies of files that are missing entirely.

2) I never said the OOM caused the jetway textures to go missing, I simply stated that the problem started when I dialed back scenery settings because I got OOM message.

3) I know how Memory/RAM work vs VAS

4) THIS POST IS NOT ABOUT OOM, VAS, RAM, OR OTHER HARDWARE ISSUES. I have stated more that once now that the only mention of OOM was because I ALREADY dialed back my setting because of the OOM, AND THAT IS WHEN THE JETWAY TEXTURES STOPPED SHOWING

Please read what I am typing so I don't have to keep repeating myself over and over, and so I can find a solution to the jetway texture problem.

You said you had the files restored from backup.

One of the ones you mentioned as restored was:

AIR_Jetway01_lm.dds

You listed that also as missing. again:

AIR_Jetway01_lm.dds

so I went after:

AIR_Jetway1.dds

As I said, it does not exist in my default fsx.

Nor anywhere else on my pc.

(And there's 5 ears worth of all kinds of fsx addons on it.)

Again, it is Not a default file.

looking for it on the fsx CD is pointless.

Come to think of it.... what makes you think it's missing.

AIR_Jetway2.dds is a default texture file, other numbers too. ond _lm versions of them.

What gives you the idea it is missing at all?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

From post 2:

Found this from a post back in 2011:

The following files were missing from Scenery/Global/Textures.

With luck, I had a recent backup where I found the files by searching for �jetway�

So after loading them back into my current Textures all is well.

Tagaloa (Peter)

Everything between the 1st line and the name Peter was what I found in a post from years ago. I don’t have a backup of FSX except for the disks, all my addons, and files I’ve changed from over 10 years ago. Nothing from the initial install.

If jetway1 isn’t default, why would I have 2 of the texture files and not all 4 like jetway2? Why does ADE refer to a jetway on an AFCAD as jetway1 in the library object manager when you click on the jetway on the AFCAD? If jetway2 was default I wouldn’t be having a problem because the texture files are there for jetway2. AIR_jetway1.dds and AIR_jetway1_lm.dds are missing and without those, textures wont show for jetway1 which is my problem. Regardless of which is default (both are I think), none of the 3 FSX disks have anything named jetway on them. They come from one of the other .cab files that has coded file names instead of actual names. Only the accelerated disk has named files and only about 30-40 I think are referenced to scenery/global/texture where as the full install has far more than that.

The replacement you suggested, the website is very blank. I can’t see how many people have already downloaded it, it doesn’t load the preview picture so I can see what they look like, says nothing about the jetways, I don’t know if they animate (attach and detach to the plane).

I see I misread. I thought you had restored all those. And I thougt the issue with the black jetways was solved.

But you had not, and were just quoting someone.

Ok.

So you are missing: AIR_Jetway01_lm.dds

You can get a replacement from that addon I mentioned. The jetways will look different, but good.

see the HSBC link.

----

the other file you say you are missing is, AIR_Jetway1.dds is not a default fsx file.

Are you certain it is missing? explain why you think it should be there.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The fsx disk can not be used by simply copying files off them.

(That was different for fs2004.)

Only way to get a default file off them is to install fsx deluxe on a second pc, but without activating.

THen copy the files off of that.

Then uninstall from the second pc again.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You can get a replacement from that addon I mentioned. The jetways will look different, but good.

see the HSBC link.

----

the other file you are missing is, AIR_Jetway1.dds is not a default fsx file.

Do the replacement jetways animate? Do they attach and detach from a plane?

Why would FSX developers design a jetway, name it jetway1 and give it half the textures, and then design a second jetway named jetway2 and give it all the textures? Yes, I’m certain it’s missing because it doesn’t turn up on a search of the entire computer. Both files are missing and it makes logical sense that if jetway2 has 4 texture files, so should jetway1, especially when one is the main texture and the one with _lm after it is the night light texture for the main one. Seems to me that if fsx wasn’t going to use jetway1, it wouldn’t be in there. But I’ll say again, unless you know how to translate _000A5838E40748A9900414EB240D9238 into English, we don’t know that the missing textures aren’t on the original install disks. Just because you don’t have them in your install doesn’t mean much when you’ve already downloaded and installed a replacement jetway set.

what in the world are ou tlalking about????

I am saying:

AIR_Jetway1.dds would be a texture file. Only that.

It is not a complete jetway model.

Actually, the filename most likely does not exist at all.

I have checked a copy of the fresh fsx install I have.

That folder contains ALL THE DEFAULT FILES.

and texture1.dds is not one of them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes? Understand?

I aslo checked the rest of my pc with 5years worth of addons installed. Including ADE and many object libraries.

Nowhere to be found.

I doubt it exist, or should exitst.

Again: WHAT MAKES YOU THINK IT IS MISSING???????

Or in other words: what makes you think you should have that filename????????

I doubt it is missing at all.

---------------------------------------

The reason your moving jetways show as black is simply the missing file:

AIR_Jetway01_lm.dds

That texture file is in the Addon I linked.

Nothing else, no jetway model, nothing.

Doesn't install anything anywhere.

Only makes your jetways no longer look black. Doesn't change models or airports.

They won't look like default anymore.

I use it too, and I think the Addon better makes the jetways look better then they looked default..

Two files in the addon.

And two files to back up before installing. (you have one missing, but do back up the other file before you place the two new textures in the fsx folder.)

Files in the addon are:

AIR_Jetway01_lm.dds

AIR_Jetway01.dds

make the backups,

install the new files.

addon here:

http://www.fs2000.org/2013/07/18/fsx-hsbc-replacement-jetway-textures-2/

Not payware in case you thought that.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Air_Jetway01.dds

Air_Jetway01_lm.dds

-----

I see I misread. I thought you had restored all those. And I thougt the issue with the black jetways was solved.

But you had not, and were just quoting someone.

Ok.

see the HSBC link.

----

the other file you say you are missing is, AIR_Jetway1.dds is not a default fsx file.

The readme file in the replacement jetways you suggested verify that the missing textures i am missing are in fact from the FSX install. Here is quotes from that readme file:

"Backup the "AIR_Jetway01" and "AIR_Jetway01_lm" DDS Files by copying them to a secure location. (Just incase something goes wrong!)" --- If FSX install didn't install them, why would they be there and need to be back-up? Because FSX installed those files from the install disks.

"Jetway Texture folder. This contains the DDS files of which are the textures AIR_Jetway01 (Daytime) and AIR_Jetway01_lm (Nightime.)" --- Although this will replace the files, the originals are still missing so if I am not happy with these new ones or if something goes wrong, I still have no back up because I can't back up what is missing.

I've spent so much time just running around in circles with you trying to convince you that the 2 missing files are in fact FSX default and are in fact installed when FSX is installed and are in fact missing. All I want is these 2 files back, if nothing else than for a backup of the replacement ones.

Air_Jetway01.dds

Air_Jetway01_lm.dds

-----

what in the world are ou tlalking about????

I am saying:

AIR_Jetway1.dds would be a texture file. Only that.

It is not a complete jetway model.

Actually, the filename most likely does not exist at all.

I have checked a copy of the fresh fsx install I have.

That folder contains ALL THE DEFAULT FILES.

and texture1.dds is not one of them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes? Understand?

I aslo checked the rest of my pc with 5years worth of addons installed. Including ADE and many object libraries.

Nowhere to be found.

I doubt it exist, or should exitst.

Again: WHAT MAKES YOU THINK IT IS MISSING???????

Or in other words: what makes you think you should have that filename????????

I doubt it is missing at all.

---------------------------------------

The reason your moving jetways show as black is simply the missing file:

AIR_Jetway01_lm.dds

That texture file is in the Addon I linked.

Nothing else, no jetway model, nothing.

Doesn't install anything anywhere.

Only makes your jetways no longer look black. Doesn't change models or airports.

They won't look like default anymore.

I use it too, and I think the Addon better makes the jetways look better then they looked default..

Two files in the addon.

And two files to back up before installing. (you have one missing, but do back up the other file before you place the two new textures in the fsx folder.)

Files in the addon are:

AIR_Jetway01_lm.dds

AIR_Jetway01.dds

make the backups,

install the new files.

They must be there because those are the only 2 files in the replacement jetways you want me to install. So if you installed the replacement, the files are there. If you didn't install the replacement, then they should still be there because the instructions on the replacement say to back them up from the original. Either way, THEY SHOULD BE THERE I dont have 1 file missing, I have 2!!! ... R E A D M Y M E S S A G E S at least 5 times I've said I'm missing AIR_jetway01.dds AND AIR_jetway01_lm.dds

Explaining this to you is harder than making an infant run a marathon.

You are so busy pissing your pants at il8pp you didn't even notice my PM to you. Snooze and lose!

Had no idea we could PM on this site 😂😂😂 also never got a notification of a PM. I get email when someone replies to this forum topic tho. Anyway, saw and replied.

Gosh. pfeeeew.

you did not say five times: quote: "at least 5 times I've said I'm missing AIR_jetway01.dds AND AIR_jetway01_lm.dds"

you said you were missing: AIR_jetway1.dds AND AIR_jetway01_lm.dds

see the difference:

: AIR_jetway1.dds you said. Not AIR_jetway01.dds

Ok.

Forget that. Because AIR_jetway1.dds probably never really existed. As I have been trying to explain to you a few times now. Hope you finally get it now.

-----------------------------

Now.

The Addon, again. has REPLACEMENT FILES>

You can install them instead of the default ones.

DO THAT!!!!!!!!!

your jetways will be textured again and look great.

no longer black.

THe addon is free. Simply click "Download". Then go install it.

---------------------------

third:

the ONLY way to get back your default files, is to do an install FSX on a second pc.

You can NOT copy them simply off the install disks. It has to be installed.

If there is no second pc. THe only way would be to use your only pc for it.

If you never did that it's not easy. It's risky too.

You would need to:

> make a system image of your pc.

>save the system image on an external harddisk

>the system image is your entire system backed up.

>then uninstall fsx from the pc.

>reinstall fsx

>copy the files the files from the new install to an external drive. (all files while you are at it, good to have a copy of everything.)

ANd Then...

>Restore the system image. If the restore goes well, you have your system back exactly as it was before.

>If the Image_Restore fails, you are left with your pc with the fresh fsx install, and "all is lost".

System Imaging is great, as backup. Make images regularly. And isf the pc fails, the Image will probably save you.

Bu you do need to know how to make them.

And it is better to read more about it at your leasure before you get in trouble.

To start with Images, and then do an Image and Restore the first day, is not wise.

To use it for the first time for two default texture files seems a lot of risk for little reward.

the texture files you are missing, again, there are two replacement files in the addon.

install those, troubles over.

as you see they have the same filenames. (duh.)

you won't have the default bland grey jetway look, but a little more colourfull.

Look like this:

HSBC Jetways.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived