Anyone still using FS2002???

TheAwesomeCobra

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately the best is rare to be seen, Sidewinder FF2 by Microsoft, from the 90s, still using it (I tried all the saitek/logitech plastic ones) the sidewinder feels like it just by its weight.

"using a Logitech 3D Pro stick-and-throttle for quite a while..." Nice, I've felt one of those before. But it feels a bit too, eh... stiff for me. I like my cyborg 3d gold because of the way the spring feels, like if you pull it to a certain degree, it's light spring makes it easy to stay in that position. Same with my Microsoft Sidewinder Precision 2, I can't see any springs, but it has (had?) an easy "pull-and-stay" thingy to it. What happened with it is it fell (okay, fine, I dropped it...) on carpet and the old, brittle plastic broke on the "neck" (near the base). rip.

and the yoke... yeah, it's hard to "hide" it from possible damage. I usually keep it back in a closet or a storage room to avoid it being broke like the sidewinder.

Kapitan

Anything I say is...not as serious as you think

I still use FS2002 quite a lot, mostly because of all the airplanes I installed and personalized within the year or two after it was introduced. I also use FS2004 and FSX-SP2 on the same PC. Old AthlonXP processor, Windows XP. Decent frame rates on all the sims, best on FS2002. I published a few gps-related gauges coded in C a few years ago if anyone is interested. Search "Dibbell" in FS2002 panels. I also still have a working installation of FS2000. The tinkerer in me keeps me from letting the older versions go.

with a bit of editing knowledge, all your FS2002 planes will work in FS2004, so you could have all your planes in a better sim, and again with minor adjustments in panel.cfg or using the update files from the developper, all an work in fsx

Kapitan

Anything I say is...not as serious as you think

• 2 months later...

Hi all, found this thread just now. Have started my thread in this FS2002 forum, "FS2002 still being used. Legacy sim community." Very glad to find folk who are still using it. I think having simmers that can help newbies including kids and people e.g. older folk, who don't have the latest hardware or sim software, and who don't have the money or inclination to upgrade, is a good thing. At 65 I'm heading into the latter category. (Am still working full-time in computer mapping, so don't have much time or inclination for this hobby.)

If we can support "low end" installations that's a community contribution. Anyhow, talking of "cheap", I got FS2000, FS2002, "VIP Classic Airliners", all in their boxes, from a friend who found them in his local council garbage tip, I got my CH Products Flight Simulator yolk from my local council garbage recycled shop, $5 (Australian) I think, it has two broken levers, only the throttle lever is intact, and was very stiff and jerky in yoke movement. I left it on the shelf for a couple of years, had wanted to pull it apart and service it but was afraid I might not get it back together again. But recently I decided to have a go, and was pleasantly surprised at how simple the innards were. Just used vaseline to lubricate all the sliding parts, and then drilled tiny holes in the top of the broken levers and inserted two short lengths of small wire into the holes, bent the wire around enough to form a short lever, installed into my 1981 Mazda 929L semi-retired "classic" car in my garage, which I'm using as a Dr Who Tardis ("bigger on the inside than on the outside") virtual environment, on the front passenger side (left side in Oz, so aviation correct), and it all works beautifully, no adjustment required. The yoke has much more subtle movement: pitch, yaw etc. than my Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick (that was an extravagance a few years ago, bought new, $50). There's something nice about saving stuff that would go to the tip and either repurposing or saving it.

So I'm a very happy camper living in the past in my FS2002 legacy world. Have FS2000 also (installed on a defunct PC, so not using it, but want to get the Concorde from it into FS2002, my ultimate goal is to fly it) and as that has the physical manual, am now doing "proper" training by going through the Rod Machado ground school lessons, then the tutorial flights, slowly and carefully. It really is enjoyable, and learning much. Very similar to my actual Blanik glider training I did in 1979! I had 6 hours solo. Am still getting used to powered flight, that combo of "pitch, power, trim" is what I'm enjoying getting under my belt currently.

• 2 weeks later...

As a newbi to flightsim.com and getting familiar to the forums, threads and user interface. Am interested if anyone else is using FS2002, the subject of this thread, and also if multiplayer will still work. The recent posts in this forum indicate there are still active users. Been researching this via e.g. YouTube etc. Found and joined "Australian Aviation East Coast" group and now got their discord going. Also joined Digitalthemepark.com.

Re FS2002 users, just counting up the number of posts in forum "FS2002", thought it might be a dormant forum, but this year 2020 there have been 10 users posting 12 posts (22 to 31) starting 20 April 2020 (the last post before that was 24 Jan 2019, over a year before):

Senior Member: Kapitan, doering1, zswobbie1 (Robin)

Member: Ctarana45 (Christopher Tarana), UPHILL3, Skywatcher12 (Mark Danials)

Junior Member: me MAD1 (was VH-MAD) (Mark), zswobbie1, dibbelld (Casey), casey jones, caphavoc.

It seems that Member BobSeaman has a long history and is very knowledgeable about FS2002.

Re forum “Group Flights & Events” I've just started thread “Multiplayer FS2002 - FSHostSpy”. I found FSHostSpy, downloaded and run it. Didn't know if anyone is still using it, but I've been seeing users login to it. I tried to connect in FS2002 to the sessions that show active users online but nothing showed up in "sessions". Will make this subject a new thread. I presume I need to do something re configuration etc. If anyone can help me, please see my thread "FSHostSpy", I'd very much appreciate any help I can get.

• 1 year later...

I am 47 years old, and I had contact with flight sim 22 years ago with my father who used and loved fs98. Now I use the 2002, with free addons I got here on flightsim and two payware, abacus airbus fleet and airbus a380 and I say: They cost me on average 4 pounds each, they run on a modest computer and I even bought fs traffic which unfortunately doesn't run on windows 10.

The big advantage I see is that my system HP620 Windows 10 64 bits, 4 gb ram Intel core Duo 2.2ghz, SSD 256gb is more than enough to run with FPS at heights and graphics at high. I swear to you that I tried FSX on an i5 that my son has but I really didn't see the fluidity expected or that impressed me.

I keep looking for more addons on ebay. But I see that I will end up buying a machine with Windows 7 (this one came original with 7, but I took advantage of the license upgrade in Windows 10)

If I buy addons, and some don't run on Windows 10 due to the anti-piracy protection they had, as in the case of Just Flight products, I'll have to go back to Windows 7 when I buy another machine.

But look, this flight sim 2002 is really worth it, I'm very happy with it, even though I also have the original FSX. This one I really stopped because I find it very poorly optimized and poorly made even for my son's i5. I always enjoy a coffee or beer and have traveled the world with fs2002.

... and some don't run on Windows 10 due to the anti-piracy protection they had, as in the case of Just Flight products

I wrote to Just Flight about issues I had installing their Flying Club package in W10 (I rather like the included Tomahawk) and they wrote back with a "fix" which circumvented the problem :)

The title says it all, anyone still running this dinosaur? Just wondering if i'm not alone.:)

Sent via 2 tin cans & a string (My pc)

Interesting that this thread was started 13 Nov 2017, here is post number 1. Now, 5 years later, it's still occassionally picked up. Moto: 'FS2002 lives!'. Re Rod Machado, see https://rodmachado.com

Edited by MAD1

• 1 month later...
I wrote to Just Flight about issues I had installing their Flying Club package in W10 (I rather like the included Tomahawk) and they wrote back with a "fix" which circumvented the problem :)

At night, I did what you suggested and to my surprise the "fix" solved the problem and I'm very happy! Now I have Abacus Airbus fleet, Abacus A380 and FS traffic 2002 (all 3 cheap CD box with manual on ebay),all working perfectly as long as I don't install the scenery that comes with the A380 Toulouse. Which, by the way, only adds some Airbus hangars. Thanks a lot for your tip.

Edited by djtnm