Planning on getting new PC for FSX... What is the best one to get?

TheAwesomeCobra

Hello everyone,

I've been running FS2002 on a windows xp for about 2 years now, and my eyes are at their knees at this point... I'm looking to buy a new pc along with FSX (no pc-building for me!), expecting to get much better graphics. Maybe something like this (sorry for the long url, couldn't get things to work):

https://www.amazon.com/HP-Elite-8000-Certified-Refurbish/dp/B0094JF1HA/ref=sr_1_4?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1510457595&sr=1-4&keywords=windows+7+64+bit+pc&refinements=p_n_operating_system_browse-bin%3A2232493011%7C2232494011%2Cp_n_feature_five_browse-bin%3A7817222011%7C7817223011%7C7817224011%2Cp_n_feature_fourteen_browse-bin%3A2057440011%2Cp_72%3A1248879011&dpID=41dIvpMsJzL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

How would this preform? I prefer a minimum of 25-30 fps, so what would the quality of the scenery be like? how about FPS? Since FSX is a pretty old game, could this pc possibly max out the settings? Maybe i need to look for something more expensive, max for me is about $350.

Thanks,

TheAwesomeCobra "Cobra"

Sent via 2 tin cans & a string (My computer)

I'm sure jetline will happily sell you their old inventory but note that Intel Coffee Lake CPU's will not work on those z270 motherboards. I'd ask jetline when they expect to have systems that support Intel 8th gen, which appears to have a lot of added horsepower that would benefit running flightsim programs.

Well, with 2 years of WinXP, FS2002 and a $5 used joystick, I think I am the el cheapo deluxe! Yep, the link I gave in my last few comments was on amazon. Would this work (minimum ~20 fps), at least with low graphics settings? Btw scroll down and you can see the list of specs on the amazon website.

post 4 shows the MINIMUM requirements for fsx.

You have to remember, that's the bare minimum to install it.

It has nothing to do with running it in a satisfactory way at all.

See: 256mb

that's what computers had 15 years ago!

The requirements there will not help you pick something good.

---------------------------

Aim for:

a least an i3 or i5 Intel processor.

can be older type.

I hate to say, but possibly as old as a i5-2400

(THese days they are up to the 8th generation. Menaing numbers start with

8xxx

Random guesses of modern processor numbers would be (havent looked them up):

i5-8400

i3-8200

But you save by looking at ones that start with a 2 or 3 or 4 as first number:

i5-2400

i5-3400

or

i5-4300

i3 has 2 cores

i5 has 4

fsx uses mostly one core, and the other ones ae used less intensively.

Geneal thought is that a 4 core for FSX is best (so i5 and not i3)

higer frequency is better.

The i7 processors have also 4 cores, but additionaly can run as 4 virtual cores. (making a 'virtual' total of 8)

Not needed for FSX ittself. FSX can't make use of the virtual cores. Wasn't available when fsx was made in 2007.

There is very little software even today that actually uses the extra virtual cores.

No need for you to even consider an i7.

Select a processor with a speed of at least 2.8 Ghz or higher.

Slower ones will not give you much joy I think with FSX.

BTw, LIST THE SPECS OF YOUR CURRENT PC.

Knowing those makes it much easieer for us to suggest something that would actually improve things.

--------------------------------------

Intel i- processors have an extra chip, inside the processor. This chip has the same capability as a basic videocard.

Using the correct mainboard, the mainboard will have a port on the back where you can attach the monitor. (next to your rear USB ports, etc.)

THis system (Intel version) is called: HD-graphics.

Some advertisments will callt this:

VIDEOCARD: HD-Grapics 4000.

Be aware that is not the same as a separate videocard.

For fsx a separate videocard is almost a requirement.

HD graphics leaves very few options to set the graphics up the way you want. It's more suited to simple office work.

THen again. a videocard cost money. Something you don't want to spend.

And most computers will come with HD Graphics anyway.

You can always buy a PC with only HD-Graphics. And then install a Videocard later if/when money allows.

(Or maybe select a mainboard to which you can attach a videocard that you already have. For examle the one you are using now. (Be aware that if you have a card but it is very old it may not fit on modern mainboards. Don;t go buying a 15 year old second hand pc, just so you can reuse the old card. It would not be an improvement on what you have now. )

------

If you buiid your own desktop to improve the one you have now, you can probably scavenge the: HarDisk, DVD writer, Card Reader, and Videocard And the Case.

All you would need is:

Mainboard.

Processor. (comes with cooling fan, so that is not needed.)

Memory to match the mainboard.

Power supply.

And if you Google: "How to build your own PC" You find very good guides explaining the whole process, step by step, with clear picures and images of how to connect cables and such.

No fear neede on connecting a cable the wrong way. THey all have cables that only fit if inserted properly.

For example, a SATA connector looks like this:

------------

----------*-

------------

The *** shows the slot the plug goes into. As you can see, if you would try to plaug it in upside down, you would immediately see it won't even go in.

You can't go wrong.

----------------------------------

You might run into that all mainboard now use SATA to connect harddisks and DVD drives. Your old harddisk and DVD might be PATA, and that won't fit.

But, a DVD writer costs only 20 $

and a 1000 GB harddisk probably can be had fo 50 $ without any hard searching. Those HDD rives are dead-cheap these days. Great value for money.

You don't need a SSD fast harddrive for FSX. Yes it's nice. But for what you're after it's completely unimportant.

--------------------------------------

Ok so much for freeflow thinking and general suggestions.

I ended the story on building. Don't worry about that too much.

Do search out a good building guide on Google, and go through it. It'll sureprise you how easy it actually is.

But, the advice on parts I gave is also good to have if browsing for a second hand pc.

Actually. Reading about building, will teach you how a pc looks inside. And knowing that will help you imagine the pc in Advertisements for second hand as well.

I'll re-read your original post, and see if I can have a look at that PC you mentioned.

------------------------

Ok, general:

At first glance looks ok. But.....

Core 2 Duo is not great.

i3 would be much better.

(Must confess I don't know too much about Core 2 though. I looked up the specs, and noticed the slow FSB.)

TO find the detailed specs of a part. Just Google.

In the specs I see:

3 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

I copy that, paste it in Google, click "GO" and the first link is Intels "Ark" site that lists all the specifications.

Then step 2, how does it stack up.

I take a random i3 and google:

i3-3220 vs Core2 duo e8400

(vs stands for Versus, as in Compare.)

That search (with vs) leads almost every time to the site CPU Boss.

Don't look at the listed prices. They compare Advertisements. So the price of 1 may be jsut a processor only, the other may be a full computer.

What you need to look at is a little lower down, where the processors are compared.

2 things important for FSX:

>Single core performance

and to a much lesser extent:

>Performance

the third important to you is:

>Intergrated Graphics (Same as HD-Grapics from earlier.)

Only general conclusion I can draw, because Idon't know too much about that pc's parts is:

---It's probably an 8 year old PC (guessing her)

---Processor speed seems good, if it were an i3 or i5. But again, not sure about how the Core2Duo stacks up.

---That model is a prebuilt (manufacturer made). That means you usually can't install anythisg eldse in it except what is in already. So adding for example a videocard later would then be impossible. And a separate videocard is practically required for FSX. (A videocard whith an attached cooling fan to cool it.)

-----------------------------------------------

Mention all you know about the computer you are replacing. SO we can betterchoose if something will be an improvement.

Also, I think the Advertisement you showed comes with Windows 7

On the right it list win10 as well, but in the specs list it clearly states: "Comes with Win7 Pro."

I would advise to get Windows 10.

it will provide you with much more internet saftety then older systems. After all, you will want to do your bank transactions and other sensitive things on the PC as well.

Also, many new software is no longer produced in Windows 7 versions.

That has consequeces for hadware now even. For example whe I looked for a Printer it was hard to find one that came with Windows 7 drivers. Almost all were Win10 only.

Yes, Win7 is still used a lot. And it is nicel compatibel with older programs, so you can use your old stuff.

But it's on it's last legs. It won't last much longer.

Buyinag a PC for the next 5 years or more? -->Get Win10.

-------------------------------

Agian, looking forward to your list of specs.

Hoep you enjoyed reading this as much as I'm enjoying blurting all this out.;)

Happy Flaigts!!:cool:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sorry for the late response, rip if you have died waiting;)

Anyways, here are my pc specs. I'm not even completely sure how to read this... I tried the FSX demo on it and it was either bad graphics or bad frames, both unacceptable to me. All i know is that my pc can't even run anything past minecraft 1.7, and it's sloooow...

Windows XP Pro service pack 3

Inter® Pentium® Dual CPU

E2160 @ 1.80GHz

1.79 GHz, 0.99 GB of RAM

So, from reading your "blurt", I went to amazon and chose this el cheapo deluxe, following as much advice as i could:

-intel core i3 (I think you said that this would be a good enough one)

-"Select a processor with a speed of at least 2.8 Ghz or higher..." it has 3.4Ghz

-Windows 10 (i recently found out that fsx actually does work with win10)

-i chose a dual processor for multitasking just in case i need it (not for fsx)

here's the pc

Thanks for all the help!

P.S. i enjoyed reading your "blurt", it's useful advice!

I think that one looks very good.

Not an i5. apart from that all looks fine. And an i3 is definitely a big improvement on what you have now.

Won't go into everything. But all good.

No graphics card.

But:

[quote:

Expansion Slots & Bays:(1) PCI Express x16 Low-Profile slots, (1) PCI Express x1 Low-Profile slot , (2) PCI Low-Profile Slot, (1) External 5.25-inch bays, (1) Internal 3.5-inch bays

Means a graphics card can be added later. As it has a: PCI Express x16 Low-Profile slot.

Well, it would fit in the slot on the card. But actually fitting one in the cramped case may be trouble. It may need to be a "low profile" card.

Can't check that from the specs usually.

To find out maybe try Google searching:

model/type name of computer + add a graphics card.

That should find stories and threads of people asking for advice while they went through that step. Then google dimensions and such of the card they used.

All in al a good choice with that limited budget I think.

i-3 is 4130.

4-series is a very good one.

nicely selected.:thumbsup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I'm back with a steal-price pc!

So, basically it's the older twin of the original win7 I wanted to buy, with better specs. Fount it on ebay for about $100, the only problem is that a USB port on the front has minor damage, almost unnoticeable, and it still functions (so far! :D). Here's the specs:

Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10GHz

Installed memory (RAM): 8.00 GB (7.89 GB usable)

System type: 64-bit Operating System, x64-based processor

Archived