Moving Throttle Controls in 747

pdmike

My 747-400 tends to creep forward in a runway hold position, even though the brakes are on. I began poking around and I see that the default position for all four throttles is full open. I suspect that may by the problem. I can't seem to move the four throttle levers to a more fully closed position. How do I do that?

FSX.

Should autothrottle remain off the entire flight?

Turn on auto throttle after takeoff when you engage heading and altitude hold.

My routine is as follows: After getting clearance from Clarence, I dial in the runway heading, and altitude given by ATC into the A/P. I then get taxi clearance and proceed to the runway hold short.

After takeoff clearance from Tower, increase throttle manually, turning onto the runway and apply takeoff thrust. After wheels up I then engage the A/P, Heading Hold And Altitude hold and turn on the A/T, which is set for 250 knots.

A/P and A/T should never be turned on until after takeoff.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

:)good!

Btw, a rare slipup from zippy at the start. F1 is Idle, f2 reduce, up to reverse in some planes (only if tanks almost empty). F3 is increase, f4 is full thrust.

Control shift f1 is 'engine shutdown' but does more then just fuelvalves. Don't use it. Hard to restart after. Better shut down with fuel valves only.

If you want to fly on half a while later, shutdown the battery as well, or it will drain. Or switch on the APU.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I just realised, the default 747 has no working APU switch.

But you can easily change that.

Make a backup of the panel.cfg file.

Save it inside the panel folder as panel -0- orig.cfg

Then you can safely edit the panel.cfg file

Open it in Notepad,

Change the [Window03] section (throttle section) to what's in the box below.

(you can copy and paste.)

//--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Window03]
file_1024=ECU_Background_1024.bmp
size_mm=404,366
position=7
windowsize_ratio=0.45
visible=0
update_rate=6
ident=THROTTLE_PANEL

gauge00=Boeing747-400!Throttle Quadrant, 0, 0
gauge01=Lear_45_XML!popup_apu,		45,265,85,32 //
//--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Close and save the file.

Then open the Lear panel folder.

Copy the file: Lear_45_XML.cab

Paste the file in your main:

..\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Gauges

folder.

Next time you load the default b747 you will have a working APU on the throttle panel.

If the APU gauge is a little small, Stretch the panel a little. Or load the lear to see what it normally looks like.

il88pp.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

:)

Btw, a rare slipup from zippy at the start. F1 is Idle, f2 reduce, up to reverse in some planes (only if tanks almost empty). F3 is increase, f4 is full thrust.

I'm entitled to at least 1 per year!:eek:

Golly gee whillakers, il!

You sooo smahhht!

Maybe someday I can grow up to be as smart as you :D

Nah, never mind. I refuse to grow up. I have to grow older, but I do NOT have to grow up!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

If I were really smart I wouldn't have known the answer, because then I would never have had AT on on the ground myself!!!

("If the world would be perfect, it wouldn't be.")

(Thanks for the thumbsup though;) )

Zippy, one a year seems like an overestimate. I'm not sure I've ever seen a slipup from you before. So I thought it was worth a mention.:D

il.:cool:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Not so fast - one more question. Ctrl-Shift-F1 gets the engines to IDLE. How do I turn them completely OFF?

I found some older threads on this, and they all seem to say, you can't do it - in the sense that you cannot get rid of the sound of the engines idling. They are off, but FSX still continues with the sound of the engines idling and there is not way to get rid of that sound.

Is that true? Or is there some way to turn all the 747 engines off and get no sound?

Not so fast - one more question. Ctrl-Shift-F1 gets the engines to IDLE. How do I turn them completely OFF?

Just F1 for engine idle. In your settings/controls/buttons there is one to be programmed by you for "Auto Engine shutdown". I use Shift+Spacebar for that!

OK - I assigned Shift-Spacebar to Auto Engine Shutdown. I hit Shift-Spacebar. The sound of engines idling is still there.

?

And we are still talking about the default 747? I'll give it a try at halftime!

Yes - default 747. Once again - my problem is not shutting the engines down. I can do that. My problem is that there should be no sound of the engines idling if they are shut down. That sound is still there, even though they are shut down. How do we get rid of that sound (other than closing down all sound for the app)?

HEY!!! You're watching football when you're supposed to be helping me???? BAD Mr. Zippy! ;)

OK, just tried my 747. Did an engine start for all 4 engines, set RTO on the autobrake, increased thrust levers to full for about 5 seconds and then to idle to let the autobrake slow and stop the aircraft. Then hit Shift+Spacebar for engine shutdown. N1 to 0% on all engines and no engine sounds.

Do you start your flights from a cold and dark scenario? I'm wondering if your default flight is causing your engine sounds when you shut them off?

Default flight. I will delete same and start all over with a brand new 747, keeping your post here in mind as I set it up and fly it. Thanks.

What aircraft are you going to use for this "new" default flight?

Archived