AS16 & Win 10 update

amberdog1

Win just updated yesterday (03 Nov 17) and AS16 won't run. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the latest upgrade to AS16 with the same results. I also downloaded the complete AS16 and tried with that. It will not run. Any help is appreciated.

Happy :pilot: Flyin

AD

I was having a problem with "Error creating child window" message. FSX kept crashing. I did a google search and came across a thread that was making reference to this and the Fall Creators update of windows 10. According to this thread Microsoft in their update failed to acknowledge 32 bit programs. Their next update should restore things back to normal, but that will not be for another month. https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/522596-update-from-lm-regarding-p3d-v34-ctd-fix/. I rolled my system back and everything is working fine.

GPU: GeForce GTX 1080

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K CPU@4.2GHz

Memory: 16.00GB Ram

Resolution: 3840 x 2160, 30Hz Seiki 39†Monitor

Operating System: Windows 10 Home Edition

Thanks for the reply. I did submit a trouble ticket. I just thought someone here might beable to help. As to why Win 10 updated yesterday I can't say... I was in a flight to KCRG when the notification came up telling me to reboot for the update...

AD

Thanks for the reply. I did submit a trouble ticket. I just thought someone here might beable to help. As to why Win 10 updated yesterday I can't say... I was in a flight to KCRG when the notification came up telling me to reboot for the update...

AD

The Windows 10 Fall Creators update was staggered so some PCs didn't get it right away. Yours was probably one of them.

From what I have found, the issue is with the a/v program. some work and others dont, as mine doesnt (avast A/V). I disabled it for 10 mins and ran AS16 with no problems. I flew from KDEN to KSAN with a perfect flight. To my FS family thanks for aLL OF YOUR HELP... iTS ALL UP TO hIfI and AS16.

AD

I HATE Win10! Have four computers running it. Two work fine. The other two, if I don't use them at least every two days, I have to do a hard re-start before I can do everything. Windows 10 is Microsofts worst piece of junk I've seen. ( My opinion).
[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You know, I got to think a bit this morning.

Common for my 3 computers is that they all have Intel processors. One is a laptop with an i3 processor and an Intel graphics chipset (4000 srs.), another laptop has an i7 mobile 6700 processor, an Intel 530 srs. plus a nVidia GTX960M graphics chipset, and my desktop here has an i7 7700 with a nVidia GTX 960 card.

Could the issue (mind you, there definitely IS an issue) have something to do with the combination of processors and graphics chipsets?

Just speculating -

Jorgen

From what I have found, the issue is with the a/v program. some work and others dont, as mine doesnt (avast A/V). I disabled it for 10 mins and ran AS16 with no problems. I flew from KDEN to KSAN with a perfect flight. To my FS family thanks for aLL OF YOUR HELP... iTS ALL UP TO hIfI and AS16.

AD

By this statement it is clear that the issue may not be W10 or AS16 related - neither update your (or any other) AV product - and the W10 update is just a coincidence.

Have a look at the AV history and see if it is flagging any of the AS16 files (especially the .exe file) as suspect/pending action.........

Another option is to delete and then reinstall the AV suite using the latest setup file from the Avast website.

Regards

Brian

Further to my response in post #18, a little info regarding W10 updates, as commented y Jorgen and Loki...........

It should be noted that the 'Creators' update is essentially a new 'full' version of W10 and is separate from normal updates.

WRT the 'official' patch day. Whilst MS still stick to this release schedule there a number of settings that affect how W10 updates. If you use a 'metered' connection, and have set the Windows update options to reflect this, downloads will be spread over time so that you don't, in theory, occur costs for exceeding any download limits that may be set by your ISP contract. The updates are delivered in small 'packets' and updates are installed as and when a number has been downloaded. This does, however, mean that your rig might not be getting updated regularly, especially if you are not constantly connected to the internet, hence the 'random' restart request that amberdog1 received. To avoid random restarts you can set 'quiet' hours on the Update settings page.

The 'metered' setting does not appear under the Update and Security settings (where you can run a manual update) but appears under the Network and Internet settings. When the page opens you will see the network status statement and below it is a 'Change Connection Properties' link. Click on this and you will see a number of options, including the 'metered' option along with a description.

Something else that might impact on how updates are delivered is a setting option called 'Choose how updates are delivered' which is found under the Update and Security settings. In the Windows Update page, under the Update Settings section is an 'Advanced Options' link. Click on this and on the new page click on the 'Choose how updates are delivered' link. The options displayed are, IMO, aimed at (and more suited to) enhancing how updates are processed on an internal network within companies etc. However, one of the options, the 'PCs on my local network and PCs on the internet' MAY help you get the updates quicker but, again IMO, can also hinder the process and, if selected, can have a detrimental impact both on your network bandwidth speeds and data usage. Change the settings according to your personal requirements.

Regards

Brian

The issue was related to my A/V, Avast (also AVG seems to have this same problem).

here is my copy from the tech at HiFi.

Please see article below for solutions as we have identified this problem with Avast and AVG:

http://hifisupport.kayako.com/Knowledgebase/Article/View/47/12/asp4-or-as16-fails-to-start

-

Damian Clark

HiFi Support

Thanks again for all of your input.

AD

Archived