Thread: Preference For Momentary-On Vs Toggle-On ?

Blog Entries

Default Preference For Momentary-On Vs Toggle-On ?

I am about to build gadgets that use switches to turn-on various functions. Gadgets like instrument panels with Extend-Retract-Landing-Gear and De-Ice and Navigation-Lights. For a lot of these features a Toggle-On-and-stay-on would be more realistic. But I think that it might be easier to translate a Momentary-On-Pushbutton (keypad) to-be-equal-to a mouse-click or equal-to a shortcut-key in the flight simulator program.

How much more work is it to use Toggle-On versus Momentary-On switches when talking to the flight sim program?

I think that Momentary-On switches are easier to translate for FSX.
    Is this also true for Prepar3d, X-Plane, DCS, Flight-Gear?

Thanks,
    Your help is appreciated before building two versions of everything.
    JD

To be perfectly honest, this forum software does not do well to display either C code or XML scripts.

I suggest joining the FS Developer forums where there are TONS of examples of working C and XML 'gauges' as well as a vibrant forum with some of the world's best developers sharing their expertise.

http://fsdeveloper.com/forum/

I create whatever switch type is required by the real world example, which include on/off, multiple selection, and momentary contact among others.

Both C code and XML scripted switches are fairly easy to create, but XML is by far the easiest! Here is an example of a simple on/off Boolean toggle switch:
    Code:
    (L:B350i_Left_PitotHeat,bool) ! (>L:B350i_Left_PitotHeat,bool)
    Last edited by n4gix; 11-02-2017 at 12:02 PM.
    Bill Leaming
    Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Military Visualizations
    Flightsim.com Panels & Gauges Forum Moderator
    Flightsim Rig: Intel Core i7-2600K - 8GB DDR3 1333 - EVGA GTX770 4GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium
    Development Rig1: Intel Core i7-3770k - 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD7770 SLI 1GB - Win7 64bit Professional
    Development Rig2: Intel Core i7-860 - 8GB DDR3 Corsair - GeForce GTS240 1GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium
    NOTE: Unless explicitly stated in the post, everything written by my hand is MY opinion. I do NOT speak for any company, real or imagined...

Blog Entries

Thanks for the reply.
    From your example, XML looks very easy to read (compared to some other computer languages), so I am off to learn some simple XML.
    Thanks for the help
    JD