Fustration mounting; XPlane Sim will not load.

REDDAIR

Hello all,

I decided to try out XPlane 11 after seeing XPlane on a PC of a coworker. So, I bought the 9 Disc set on Amazon and received the Sim a few days ago. I am running Windows 10 with the necessary requirements with a Logitech joystick. So...today I start Disc 1 and all seemed normal. The install info seemed real "Upscale" with a pop up box and lots of detail---oh, you could not go wrong looking at it!!!!!! WRONG! I readied Disc 2 for what I thought would be the usual AUTO PC install procedure. Not quite. Disc 1 finished and indicated the game was ready for play, with the screen showing such!!! Not much choice as the screen showed the instrument panel of a large jet sitting on the threshold of a runway ready to go. So I did change the start airport for a local airport here after fussing around with inputs. XPlane promptly indicated there was no scenery for the airport....I also was not sure what to do with my joystick as it was not active. I then attempted to start Disc 2, manually, but no luck. The game shows no official Start Icon on my desktop and it appears hopeless to add any of the other 8 Discs which were in the game box, although I tried various past proven PC methods. My remedy internet search shows countless other buyers with the same problem; along with the usual countless answers, for which there are the usual number of replies giving "Fixes" which do not work. Frankly, I am very happy with FSX and may return this XPlane 11 as I have only opened Disc 1 and 2 packages at this point. I am just too old to put with a long and tedious process to remedy a shortcoming for something new which the fault is "who knows" where in either my PC or the game or the software itself??? Anyone with good experience on XPlane install who may wish to steer me in the right direction? Remember, my patience is limited. And yes, I already downloaded an XPlane "Installer" which was boasted as the answer. It isn't. Thanks for reading this rant... I thought the days of hair pulling on PC installs were over...

Redd

Hi Redd, this could be a Windows 10 autoplay issue. Here are two workarounds from the Aerosoft forums, hopefully one of them will work for you:

Either: Open the Windows-Explorer and double-click on the DVD-Icon while the installer is prompting for DVD #2. This initializes the auto-play-routine on Windows-10-System and the installation of X-Plane 11 continues.

Or: Within the "This PC tab" of windows explorer, right click on the DVD drive and select properties. Select hardware, highlight the drive and select properties again. This time select volume and click on the populate button. Re-insert the disk and double-click on the DVD-Icon and the installation continues.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

http://www.x-plane.com/manuals/desktop/

Read the manual in this link. This is not an install like the usual installs. There is a certain process you have to follow. X-plane is a different type of animal.

GPU: GeForce GTX 1080

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K CPU@4.2GHz

Memory: 16.00GB Ram

Resolution: 3840 x 2160, 30Hz Seiki 39†Monitor

Operating System: Windows 10 Home Edition

Or: Within the "This PC tab" of windows explorer....

Lol, and W10 is supposedly an improvement.

That's like calling anyone in town on my landline phone requires a mere seven button presses, calling the same person on my cellphone requires sixteen button presses. Progress.

It has everything to do with Win 10. Only in Win 10 would a feature like Autoplay be switched Off by default. Why? Because it was supposed to be Microsoft's answer to Android, and cellphones and tablets don't even have CD/DVD drives. Now that Microsoft have given up on developing Win 10 for cellphones and tablets, they might return to core business and make Win 10 more useful as a desktop and laptop PC OS instead. And re-launch it as Win 11, no doubt.

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

It has everything to do with Win 10. Only in Win 10 would a feature like Autoplay be switched Off by default. Why? Because it was supposed to be Microsoft's answer to Android, and cellphones and tablets don't even have CD/DVD drives. Now that Microsoft have given up on developing Win 10 for cellphones and tablets, they might return to core business and make Win 10 more useful as a desktop and laptop PC OS instead. And re-launch it as Win 11, no doubt.

It was also off by default in Win 7, Vista, and Win 8 so nothing has changed. Just something else to blame MS for. And Tim let me ask you this: Have you ever installed XPlane using their DVDs?

http://www.air-source.us/images/sigs/000219_195_jimskorna.png

I've only installed the downloadable demo version, and never installed Win 8 either. I have had Vista and currently run Win 7 Ultimate x64, I honestly don't remember having to activate Autoplay in either of them. I'm not anti-Microsoft, but Win 10 is not PC-user friendly compared to previous versions of Windows and Microsoft have made a rod for their own back with it.

Thanks for all the comments...Sorry for not putting this thread in the right place.

I was about to hit the return button in Amazon and then decided to sit on this for a day. I run Firefox as a browser and have not used Internet Explorer for quite some time. So, I checked Firefox settings, but frankly have not had any issues with it, it seems so forever. Yesterday, I reloaded XPLane Disc 1 and ran it. This time it posed a page showing the "Agreements" and the usual checkbox for one to mark off "Agreed." I did not see this in the previous 2 install attempts, so I thought something was up... Well, after that, the game promptly auto-loaded all 8 discs, 7 are scenery, I think. Disc #9 is an add on which I have not attempted to install yet. I selected all scenery. It did not take hours but over 1 hour to load. Average about 10+ minutes per disc. The game is up and running. I wonder if someone/something slipped a "Patch" into my machine overnight? It seems WIN10 does have a "Big Brother" mechanism as others claim. The game is up and running and I ran a couple flights to test it out. Definitely foreign as compared to how FlightSim works. The joystick loaded right up. Apparently you cannot use a 2nd monitor for different views, a disappointment for me. :)

Redd

I have not had anything that doesn't run with windows 10. Planes, scenery, utilities. They all work. Enjoy x-plane.

GPU: GeForce GTX 1080

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K CPU@4.2GHz

Memory: 16.00GB Ram

Resolution: 3840 x 2160, 30Hz Seiki 39†Monitor

Operating System: Windows 10 Home Edition

I have not had anything that doesn't run with windows 10. Planes, scenery, utilities. They all work. Enjoy x-plane.

Thanks, I hope to. Win 10 can be massaged to appear more user friendly. Spent some time doing it. To me, it has been like all the rest since Win 3.1 in early 90s. Lots of shock to the body to get used to it. :rolleyes:

Redd

XP isn't like FS, the other disks are scenery, you decide what scenery you want then it will tell you to install from the other disks.

When I first got it I just installed Europe so only needed another disk, but now I have the whole world so I installed all the other disks.

XP is improving all the time, more aircraft and scenery on an almost daily basis, go to x-plane.org

• 3 weeks later...

Archived