Installing new GTX1070 problem

Hi,

I currently have a GTX660ti and have bought a GTX1070 as an upgrade.

I thought that it would just be a matter of physically changing the cards however when I

tried my new card my PC won't go past the bootup options page.

Looking at the card in the slot, when I first turn the PCP on I can see the fans working

on the card,but when the PC gets stuck on the bootup options page the fans stop.

Do I need to un-install the Nvidia control panel first? i.e is it because the Nvidia control

panel is expecting to see my old card?

My driver version is 382.05

cheers

Stinger

Does the card need its own power cable(s), and if so, did you connect those?

If it's not that, try a bios reset. (use the jumper or button on the mainboard to do that.).

What options are displayed. If its "press DEL to enter setup" then it's not the nvidia driver/menu. Windows isn't started yet at that point, so that driver/menu aren't running.

Do you get to see the message "starting windows", or anything else like that, such as "windows wasn't shut down properly, do you want to run disk check or...etc."?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Does the card need its own power cable(s), and if so, did you connect those?

If it's not that, try a bios reset. (use the jumper or button on the mainboard to do that.).

What options are displayed. If its "press DEL to enter setup" then it's not the nvidia driver/menu. Windows isn't started yet at that point, so that driver/menu aren't running.

Do you get to see the message "starting windows", or anything else like that, such as "windows wasn't shut down properly, do you want to run disk check or...etc."?

I am at the "press DEL to enter bios" page. I have since spoken to a computer shop who have suggested that my 600w psu is not up to the task. Sound feasible?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

specs here (for 1070ti, couldn't find quickliy for 1070)

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/10series/geforce-gtx-1070-ti/

specs say that 500W is recommended.

Depends on the age and quality of your psu, but if good quality and not too old it should work. Depends on what other parts you have connected to the pc. Won't be able to make more then a guess even if you list all parts.

Specs also say 8pin required for card. (Is 1070ti though). If you do not connect that, the card will get a little power through the PciE slot, but by far not enough to run fully.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The reason I suggest a bios reset is that it could be that the pc is defaulting to onboard graphics.

Or that there's some kind of interrupt problem. conflict between newly added card and other device both "talking" on the same channel.

(I may be wrong on that last thing, that's how tech worked in the olden days, it may be different now. Interrupts and addressing.)

It's generally a good rule to do a bios reset before a hardware change, so:

reset bios

remove card

reset bios again for good measure

install new card

reset bios (why not)

start the pc

see how it goes

when booted and into windows all is well.

Worry about bios settings later, when the stress of the hardware/booting thing is behind you.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I am at the "press DEL to enter bios" page. I have since spoken to a computer shop who have suggested that my 600w psu is not up to the task. Sound feasible?

A 600W PSU should be enough if it is a good quality model and is working properly. Did you plug in the extra power cord to the PSU? Getting the video card and PSU tested is a idea too.

I have been a computer tech since 1984 and never once have I ever heard of something so ridiculous as resetting your bios after a hardware change? This is NOT a bios problem!

First, he should have uninstalled his graphics in device manager, shut down machine, install new card, boot up and once in OS you should be running on windows native drivers. Install updated drivers for new card and you are set. Simple as that.

He has not yet answered the question on if he has a separate power cable going to the side of the card.

Try re-seating the card. Did you hear a click when it locked in?

I have been a computer tech since 1984 and never once have I ever heard of something so ridiculous as resetting your bios after a hardware change? This is NOT a bios problem!

First, he should have uninstalled his graphics in device manager, shut down machine, install new card, boot up and once in OS you should be running on windows native drivers. Install updated drivers for new card and you are set. Simple as that.

He has not yet answered the question on if he has a separate power cable going to the side of the card.

Try re-seating the card. Did you hear a click when it locked in?

There is only one 8 pin power port in the card which i have the correct lead for. As i said, the fans on the video card start as i switch on the pc but then stop when the pc freezes at the options screen.

I was worried about uninstalling the nvidia drivers because i cannot see any standard vga drivers listed in the device manager?

I personally think this is going to end up being a faulty vid card. Time will tell.

Cheers for chipping in.

Stinger

Stinger, don't worry about not seeing the standard Windows graphics driver listed - it'll definitely be there.

Have you still got the old graphics card? If so, I would refit it, and assuming Windows boots OK, follow MrUnSavory's method above. Trying to install a new card without first removing the NVIDIA drivers is never a good idea.

Yes, I'll try that if the card is tested ok.

I wish you luck! Nothing is more depressing then to buy a new piece of hardware to find it has problems. :(
I am going to need it i think. The card has now been independently tested and is ok. I tried uninstalling my existing drivers. It reset to standard vga but still wont go through to windows with the new card.

I checked my psu while it was open and it is a Corsair GS600.

I am stumped !

Stinger

Plus some additional ones:

What brand? And 1070ti or not?

New or second hand?

Bought where?

Scared of bios reset?

Talk to us! Where here to (pretend to) listen.;)

Brand - PNY

Model- 1070 (not ti)

New

Currys store.

And yes, bios re-setting scared me a liitle,

hence the problem is now with the local pc store. [emoji4]

It could be your PSU. Have you tried using a different cable from the PSU to the card? Try moving the cables about and re-seat the card and power connection to it. You could also buy a PSU tester (https://www.amazon.co.uk/supply-tester-display-computer-diagnostic/dp/B019GQAJCM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1509109527&sr=8-2&keywords=psu+tester) to make sure that you're getting the voltages that you'd expect.

What sort of motherboard and CPU do you have (some HP computers, for example, apparently have problems with GPU upgrades)? Your problem doesn't seem that uncommon and users with a similar problem found that a BIOS update solved it.

Also, maybe try this from another forum which worked for some people:

"Check your BIOS settings to see if you have a setting called PCI ROM Priority. (only applies if you have a motherboard that has UEFI) Trying switching back between UEFI Compatible, or Legacy PCI. If not, or that does not fix it, you more than likely need to flash the motherboard BIOS to a more recent version."

The psu is around 4 yrs old. I have tried the only power connectors available. Nvidia say that the power requirements are the same for both my old and new card.

I made sure it was seated ok. As soon as i put the old card back in everything is fine again.

I think ill88p may be right in the end with the problem now pointing towards the bios. I'll let you know once the pc store calls.

Cheers again

Stinger

BIOS ! Just had a call from the shop. All working ok after a bios update. Whoop whoop !

Thanks all for your suggestions. If i had been a little braver regarding the bios i could probably have sorted it. Not to worry,

happy bunny again.

Cheers

Stinger

Great!

Bios reset is less scary then it seems. It's the same as "restore default settings" option when in bios with a running pc. It resets to settings that always allow boot.

There's just two small differences when doing it with a mainboard jumper or button. First, you may know that you can make different bios overclock setups and save those. When doing it on screen your saves will still be there after a reset. When doing a reset with the jumper those presets you saved are wiped.

Second, doing the reset on screen is only possible if you can get into bios. A jumper reset always works, even if you can't get into bios.

A bios update, like the shop did, is something else though. They installed an updated version of the bios software. The old version may not yet have had the ability to correctly identify your card.

In that case at startup bios says "SOMETHing's wrong, I won't give control to the first hdd, but I will shut down to prevent wrong commands and currents going to wrong hardware and damaging parts. Better safe then sorry.".

(btw, if windows, first sector of hdd is the windows bootloader. Triggering (running) that sets in motion i chain reaction that first starts essential windows programs (like read write copy, drivers, etc) then user profiles, the your AV program (always one of the first progr to start (so something else can's start before it and hide from it that way), and then more and more.

A bios reset is not that scary. It can't be undone to restore your previous setup, but gives settings that always allow boot. (only issue that may occur is that the wrong hdd is identified as hdd.1. If that happens you get the message "no system disk or disk error" which sounds scary, but just means "i can't find the system disk" (C: drive). You can then reboot, go into bios again on screen, and point it to the correct disk.

A bios update however is scary. The bios is not on a hdd. (read and write). For good reason. The bios needs to check and start up all parts, including organising chips of the mainboard and regulating voltage on the mainboard. If bios were on the hdd it could get corrupted, and kill your mainboard and more. Also, imagine a new pc, new mainboard and hdd. How would it boot... with no bios on the disk yet! It is not stored in RAM either. Ram only remembers things when ties is power applied. After shutdown its blank.

The bios is stored on a chip on the mainboard. A so called ROM chip. (Read-Only Memory.). You can't write to it with normal means. You need a special program from the mainboard manufacturer and the updated bios version. You put those on a Usb disk and insert it in a slot, then boot and select the bios update option. (same point as del to enter setup). The special program goes to work, checks if you have selected an update for the correct mainboard (VERY IMPORTANT), and then that program starts overwriting the bios bit by bit.

If you interrupt that before the bios is fully overwritten... The mainboard is dead. Same if you selected an update for a different mainboard and the prog didn't catch that. Or if something else goes wrong like a power failure.

So a bios update is very scary. It can easily kill your mainboard if the slightest thing goes wrong. It's a case of read the part numbers on mainboard or in your case, know which exact model of hp pc you have. Find the update on the manuf site (hp in your case). Read the instructions many times, write then down precisely, and sleep on them a couple of nights. Then prepare the disk and pray pray pray while doing it. Most of all NEVER SWITCH the pc off, never, not even if you think it has stalled. Just walk away. Go make coffee. With some luck you will eventually hear the typical 'beep' of a reboot when it's finished.

Often said, unless you require a bios update to get your new hardware working, don't do it. Don't just update because it's a"newer" bios. It won't make a pc faster or better, and could well kill it.

Glad it all worked, enjoy the card. Happy Flights!

il.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived