Seeking Help from a Beginner

pgjay34

Greetings Everyone.

I am relatively a newcomer to Flight Simulator and came to a halt in my learning experience. I hope some one can give me pointers regarding these trivial questions.

I have been at it for the last 3-4 months or so. I have been following built in lessons (too compact) and youtube videos and occasional google searched articles. I am not sure if I am making sufficient progress. Is there a syllabus or check list one should follow or goals to meet. I practice everyday 2-3 hrs. Even then Landing is still a problem. I can't say I am proficient in any aspect of FSX, but I am "Sampling" different segments.

For now a simple question. You have 2 cockpit views- when do you use VC and when do you use 2D. It seems to me that VC view gives better angular view (northwest), but sevearly limits the side view. I am using the default Cessna and the ceiling/top of the window on pilot's side obstructs the left side view. This may sound like a trivial question, but I am unable to solve it. I am ATTEMPTING fraffic patterns and unable to visualize runway bot crosswind and downwind. at 1000 ft AGL. What is the expected procedure.

Any and all help greatly appreciated.

You have 2 cockpit views- when do you use VC and when do you use 2D. It seems to me that VC view gives better angular view (northwest), but sevearly limits the side view. I am using the default Cessna and the ceiling/top of the window on pilot's side obstructs the left side view.

Which you choose is entirely up to you. The 2D presents the entire instrument panel without having the "look down" like you do in the VC. Having said that, I personally prefer the VC. Why? I can "Look" around at the environment more easily, using the "hat" switch. I can look left to see where the runway is, then back forward quickly and easily. Or back over my shoulder to see if it's at the 45° it should be to make the turn onto the next leg of a pattern. The obstruction of the world you see by the roof and so on is "realistic". That's what it looks like to you in the real world.

If it bothers you too much, try going to the minipanel. From the 2D panel, hit W once. It puts the basic instruments you need up, and removes everything else. Much greater view, less information available. No engine instruments and so on.

To do a pattern, you have to look out of the cockpit, generally to the left. Hi wing planes, like the default C172, the wing can block the view in turns. Low wings have better visibility in a turn, much less when straight and level.

On Upwind, the runway should be just off your left wing-tip. When it's 45° behind you, make a standard rate turn left for 90°. Proceed for about 1 minute, or until the runway is, you guessed it, 45° behind the plane. Look out the window. You'll see it. Now turn downwind, standard rate turn again, slow to flaps speed, etc etc. I'm sure the lessons have explained how to run a left-hand pattern.

That's a pattern.

Does that explain anything adequately?

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

With 2d you can look in 8 directions. (forward back left right and the 4 inbetween those). With 3d you can look around by degree.

When looking with 2d view in Planes that have a vc as well will show the vc in 7 of the 8 directions too.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Because you can also pan up and pan down in vc you get a feel for where the aircraft is behind you. It feels more like you are in a plane. Also when zooming out things in the distance get small and so does the dashboard. That combined means it is much easier to estimate distance to airport, and, when landing, your pitch in relation to the ground below, by looking out the windows.

In 2d you have very little idea of that. When zooming out you quickly forget how far you are zoomed out. You just can't make out your pitch from looking outside. Also, the panel always looks the same. That gets boring quick.

You end up staring at the gauges for hours to try and make out what the plane is doing. Flying on autopilot works of course, but without full awareness of pitch, zoom, and distances, control when for hand-flying is significantly lacking.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thank you for the excellent answers and the insight. I started using VC more and note the difference from 2D.

I have yet another stupid question. I am having trouble visualizing the 45° marker point. You are either flying parallel or perpendicular to the runway What are the reference points or landmarks to estimate 45°. Can someone explain this to me.

The landmarks will depend on where you are, but 45º is half of 90º, therefore you look back over your "shoulder" to spot the runway, guessing when you are looking roughly at a 45º angle back at the runway. It doesn't have to be precise, but do try to be consistent.

Even then Landing is still a problem.

I'm going to first suggest that you look down below at the "Real Aviation Tutorials and FAQS" section, at the Takeoff and Landing and at the Basic Aircraft Control segments (there's lots of other good info there, too). These are answers I've compiled from many years of answers given on this forum about various things related to real world aviation, but much of it also applies to the sim. But I'll give you some suggestions here, as well.

I'll address only the landing here, starting on final approach. The first thing is to get lined up with the runway (practice in no-wind conditions until you master it) on final approach, at 70 knots descending, probably holding around 1500-1700 RPM, and maybe 500-700 feet AGL (be consistent). If you are in a steady descent, there will be some spot out your windshield that is not moving either up or down, just remaining at the same spot on that windshield. That spot is your current "aim point," that is, it is where your nose will hit the ground if you don't change anything (power, pitch, etc.). Once you've discovered where that spot is, you can adjust power (very small power changes) until the aim point becomes just beyond the numbers of the runway, maintaining that 70 knots.

As you get near to the ground (perhaps 50-100 feet or so) start gently adding back pressure to your stick (or yoke), allowing the nose to come up a bit until it stops the descent (but doesn't start a climb). This will, of course, start reducing your airspeed without touching the throttle. You'll find that you'll need to continue adding some back pressure to keep the descent stopped. As you get to that point, gently bring the throttle to idle while maintaining about a foot or so off the ground -- DON'T LET THE AIRPLANE TOUCH! (but leave the throttle at idle). This is a key point. You don't "land" the airplane, rather you get it a foot off the ground and hold it there, continually adding just enough back pressure to maintain that one foot height. Of course as your speed bleeds off you'll have to add more and more back pressure, faster and faster, to maintain that one foot. Soon it will touch in spite of trying to hold it off.

After the main gear touches, continue holding the nose off for a few seconds, then gently relax your back pressure until the nose touches. At this point you can start braking.

Now, back to that initial descent: Your pitch angle will vary, at 70 kts, depending on how much flaps you have deployed. For each "notch" (each 10º of flaps), your nose will have to be lower to maintain that 70 kts. You'll also have a steeper descent with each added notch. I'd suggest that, until you get the hang of it, you use 20º flaps for your final approach. Once you have several successful, repeatable landings then you can vary the flaps to see what variations are possible.

Another note: As you start the flare (that is, start rounding out or raising the nose as you get next to the ground), you should be looking well down the runway, NOT just in front of the nose, such that as your nose levels you want to be looking at least at the far end of the runway, if not a bit further.

Yet another note: Perhaps you noticed that I kept talking about "back pressure" rather than about pulling back on the stick (yoke). It's important that you think of the pressure on the stick, rather than the movement of the stick. Training your muscles to do these tasks is as much mental (probably more so) as it is physical, so you need to put yourself in the right mental state.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

As always, an excellent post on How-To, Larry.

Having said that, with stronger, more advanced aircraft, there is an alternate method taught by the Navy/Marine Corps. Same basics, right up to the point you start the flare. With the Navy/Marine Corps way, you simply don't flare. You fly the plane all the way down to the runway. No flare.

Also, they have a different pattern method. Fly the upwind, as normal, then as you pass the end of the runway, you chop the throttle to idle, and make a 180°, level (no ascent or descent), turn to the downwind, slowing the aircraft to it's pattern speed, dropping the flaps and landing gear. Fly the downwind to the other end of the runway, descending to about 600' AGL, make another 180° turn, and fly your final leg.

This is known as an "overhead" recovery. Very handy for uncontrolled (no tower) airports, as it lets you examine the entire runway and it's environs (entrances to it), to ensure it's clear to land on. No other aircraft taking off or landing, no obstructions, like some idiots drag racing down the runway, etc.

I've gotten so used to flying overhead landings, it's all I do any more. No matter what plane I'm in. But like i say, it's kind of a specialized, for a very small population of flyers out of all of the flyers out there. I was just offering it as an alternative method.

If I were you, though, I would follow Larry's advice first and foremost. He's a much better pilot than I could ever hope to be.

By the way, the references for the 45° angle is the end of the runway you're passing, and your aircraft, where you're sitting. It's a guess. You won't get 45° precisely every time, no more then than you will make a perfect turn every time. It's a guesstimate of your relative position to the runway.

Good luck!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Nice info, Pat, but I'd not recommend that in a 172, especially with someone just trying to get the hang of it -- that curved path, for example, can be tougher to judge.

As you say, "it's kind of a specialized, for a very small population of flyers out of all of the flyers out there." I totally agree.

He's a much better pilot than I could ever hope to be.

I don't know about that, Pat, but I did teach flying for a lot of years. You learn a LOT from your students.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Practice flights at a semi-large airport. One that has a VOR beacon at the airport. (look on the map.).

Tune the frequency of the VOR on the radio on NAV-2 (active, (left hand side.)).

You will see an arrow on your panel move as soon as you switch the frequency to active. On the navigation display on the panel. (The one with the compass rose.)

The arrow points to the VOR. (and therefore to the airport.). That should help you navigate.

There is a small button next to that display that rotates the large arrow in the middle. Set that arrow so it points to the runway heading. That will help even more.

Lastly, fly a bit higher. Between 2000 and 3000ft. That wil make it easier to spot the airport visually from a distance.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thank you. Advice and insight from so many experts....

I am going out of the country for about a month. As this would be my first real airplane ride since starting on FSim, I'm sure will be watching, 'commenting' on pilots' actions and aircraft response (not that I am any kind of expert); deciphering airport markings.....just having fun.

Archived