elevator trim

ilovenxstage

Is it possible to add elevator trim to an aircraft that does not have it? Not the animated trim wheel itself, but just the effect when I push the trim buttons on my joystick. I have a few aircrafts that have no trim control (early WWI era planes) and they are so nose heavy, I have to apply almost full power to get them to maintain altitude. I know it is kind of cheating but I want to make thes airplanes more flyable.

Do any of those WWI era aircraft have this section in their aircraft.cfg? If not, then add it and see if there is any difference.

[flight_tuning]

cruise_lift_scalar = 1.0

parasite_drag_scalar = 1.0

induced_drag_scalar = 1.0

elevator_effectiveness = 1.0

aileron_effectiveness = 1.0

rudder_effectiveness = 1.0

pitch_stability = 1.0

roll_stability = 1.0

yaw_stability = 1.0

elevator_trim_effectiveness = 1.0

aileron_trim_effectiveness = 1.0

rudder_trim_effectiveness = 1.0

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Does pressing 1 (for up) and 7 (for down) on the numeric keypad have any effect? This si the default for elevator trim in FSX I believe. Sometimes you have to press and hold for any effect to occur and then adjust thereafter to suit. And from memory the numeric keypad needs to have the Num Lock off for this function to work correctly.

I have to apply almost full power to get them to maintain altitude...

Engine power or power on the stick? Trim will only solve the latter IMO, it can't make aircraft climb better.

Also not unthinkable these early aircraft were underpowered "by design".

Wim

Wim

b727fcaptain.jpgx701captain5.jpg

Engine power or power on the stick? Trim will only solve the latter IMO, it can't make aircraft climb better.

Also not unthinkable these early aircraft were underpowered "by design".

Wim

Wim

referring to engine power, but I do also need to apply constant back pressure on stick to hold aircraft level, unless I apply close to full power and get RPMs close to red line. I suppose it is more realistic with under powered engine on early planes.

Check that in your aircraft.cfg that in the [Airplane_geometry] listing there is an entry 'elevator_trim_limit = 20', this should then activate the trim operation. Otherwise change the [weight_and_balance] entry of 'empty_weight_CG_position' - the first figure is fore/aft, positive being forward of 25% chord.

Good luck

Keith

Check that in your aircraft.cfg that in the [Airplane_geometry] listing there is an entry 'elevator_trim_limit = 20', this should then activate the trim operation. Otherwise change the [weight_and_balance] entry of 'empty_weight_CG_position' - the first figure is fore/aft, positive being forward of 25% chord.

Good luck

Keith

I changed number in airplane_geometry and it worked. My WWI planes can now be trimmed just a bit so I do not red line the engine to hold nose high enough just to maintain a gentle climb or even straight and level flight. again, I know it is kind of cheating, but I am at least enjoying the planes now.

I recall (and use) a trim gauge for my helecoptors that works to. I added it to a couple WW1 airplanes. I know but if they had known about it back in the 1914's I bet they would have added it to the aircraft.

Mike G.

Intel Core i7-4770K, ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO Motherboard, , 8GB Memory , EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 6GB Video Card,Corsair Enthusiast 750W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply,Windows 7 64bit, Corsair Hydro Series H55 CPU Cooler

On this same topic, can the amount of trim be tempered in the Aircraft.cfg? I find with some aircraft- mostly jets- that there is no "sweet spot". Adjusting the trim on my joystick gives either a nose up or nose down situation.

Thanx in advance.

unclegreg

One trick I use is with the registered FSUIPC and check using the mouse wheel for trim. Very nice with smaller increments then button 1 ans 7 as well as the joystick assignments

Mike G.

Intel Core i7-4770K, ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO Motherboard, , 8GB Memory , EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 6GB Video Card,Corsair Enthusiast 750W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply,Windows 7 64bit, Corsair Hydro Series H55 CPU Cooler

Not that I have found, its in the .air file & can be the Cm vs AOA as well as in item 1101 Cmo Pitch moment coeff, Cm_dt pitch moment trim, to name a few.

Although I find if one uses ones wheel mouse or pointer on the trim lever it can be more precise than a joystick click.

Good luck

Keith

Archived