Online Flying?

florianfsx

Hi everyone,

I have been flying on FSX for a year now. I have tried the multiplayer mode with friends before. Although this was fun, most of my friends are not flying anymore. So I was looking for a way to fly with others and with more than just a couple people.

I am sure I am not the only one wanting to fly togetther and I was wondering if anyone maybe has some tips. Are there Plugins maybe that connect me to other pilots? I am sure I am not the first one to ask this but I haven't found anything yet. Sorry if this is a dumb question. :pilot:

Florian

VATSIM and IVAO are organised and have rules regarding their use. You must obey ATC if it's online, etc. Pilot Edge is similar, but is a "paid for" service with similar rules to VATSIM/IVAO, but the rules are stricter, the pilots more mature and penalties (such a they are) more severe. All ATC on VATSIM is trained on a position before being allowed to control it, IVAO are allowed to take a position for a period of time and are then assessed and, if eligible, allowed to take the next higher position. So while ATC standards are higher on VATSIM, there is more chance that an area is controlled on IVAO.

JoinFS is free, you can create your own HUB (and therefore your own rules) and doesn't suffer from the "displacement" issues that VATSIM/IVAO do. i.e. your aircraft are almost always exactly where you think they are in comparison to other aircraft, making formation flying possible, and nearby aircraft do not "stutter" when close to you.

The question, therefore, is what do you mean/want by "realistic"?

If you want to learn how to fly in controlled airspace, with realistic ATC, then I would suggest VATSIM in preference to IVAO.

If you want to fly for fun and make new friends in an uncontrolled environment, then I would suggest JoinFS. It is a peer-2-peer service so if the "host" disconnects, the session continues with one of the other connections acting as host and has the maximum uptime of all the options presented. There are many public hubs available so you shouldn't have much problem finding a group to join.

There is another option, DafSim which works in a similar manner to JoinFS but has a nasty habit of being updated frequently, and each update tends to "break" the host connection and kick you off until both you and the servers update to the new version. If your chosen server is unattended then you could be in for quite a wait.

Archived