Scenery Addons

nikksie

Hi All

I have installed FSX Steam edition and I'm very pleased with it overall but I'd like to enhance the scenery a bit more.

Iv'e looked around and there doesn't seem to be any general scenery packs available. Can anyone recommend an addon

that will work with Steam. I'm thinking southern England or Great Britain in general

Thanks nikksie

PS After originally posting this I visited the Just Flight website and they have FSX VFR scenery packs, has anyone added these and are they any good, theres no mention of Steam in the system requirements

Hi,

I use Orbx England to upgrade the land textures and uk2000 vfr airfields. I assume these will work ok with the steam edition but you may need to check. There are also photoreal sceneries available for the uk but when i last tried one of these they disable autogen which would be out of place.

I personally prefer the autogen look.

Cheers

Stinger

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Generally speaking, even though I was just a Sergeant, if a scenery works in FSX, it'll work in FSX:SE (Steam Edition).

Only difference is the location. Steam sort of buries it's FSX deeper in it's folder structure than MS does. But with scenery, it doesn't really matter, other than to payware with auto-installers. Some have trouble finding FSX, since it's not where expected to be, or is in the same place as MS FSX. You just have to direct them correctly, or tell them to install to a temp folder, and copy it into FSX manually.

Nice thing about scenery: You can install it nearly anywhere, as long as you can point the Scenery Library to it.

Does that help?

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

When it comes to managing scenery, the FSX Scenery Config editor comes in handy. It allows me to choose what scenery to load (depending on where I want to fly), as well as has integrity checks to make sure everything is in order.

If you plan on installing scenery, I highly recommend this utility.

Hi All

I have installed FSX Steam edition and I'm very pleased with it overall but I'd like to enhance the scenery a bit more. Iv'e looked around and there doesn't seem to be any general scenery packs available. Can anyone recommend an addon that will work with Steam. I'm thinking southern England or Great Britain in general

Thanks nikksie

PS After originally posting this I visited the Just Flight website and they have FSX VFR scenery packs, has anyone added these and are they any good, theres no mention of Steam in the system requirements

Hi nikksie, I have been using FSX Steam and boxed now for a few years. In fact, it was the Steam Edition which brought me back to the peaceful side of flight-simming, before that I just flew combat sims like DCS World.

Those exact JustFlight VFR packages that you refer to are also available in Steam itself and in my case (local currency) it is a lot cheaper than on the JustFlight website. Just go to the store page of Steam FSX and look a bit further down until you get "Downloadable Content for this Game". Click to "See All" and a list with a ton of add-ons will open up. You have to go almost to the bottom to find "VFR Real Scenery Vol 1 to 4". Those are the ones for England that you're looking for. If you wait a bit, they may be substantially discounted in Steam's anticipated Autumn Sale, which is expected to start around Halloween-time near the end of October.

As to how good they are, you can read the user reviews for each add-on package by clicking on it. They sort of get mixed reviews, but I really liked them. I knew what I was getting into when I purchased them, so wasn't too unhappy with the lack of autogen. If you want to spice up your enjoyment of those sceneries and you like smaller (low and slow) aircraft, I can highly recommend "Farm Strips Vol 1 to 3" by Neil Birch, also available in Steam. They are made to integrate with the JustFlight England VFR sceneries and are very affordable and enjoyable.

i5-10600K @ 5.0 GHz, Gigabyte Z490M motherboard, RTX 2080 Super 8GB, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p monitor, CH Products Fighterstick, Pro Throttle and Pro Pedals, Track IR 5, Oculus Quest 2, Windows 10 64-bit

Thanks everyone for some great answers, I've been offline for a bit with computer issues now fixed which is the reason for my delayed reply, " farm strips" sounds interesting as I do enjoy flying low and slow as well as airliner flights, I will also look at the steam Just flight packages which sound ideal, thanks again, nikksie

The generation X scenery is better than the Justflight scenery in my opinion and I have used both. Then buy some addon airports or packs from UK2000 which are very good, though expensive if you want a few.

Alternatively use ORBX which is also very good, but is not photoscenery, so doesn't have the detail you may want for real sightseeing and VFR flight.

IAN

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

Archived