Please Help With Win 10 Update Assistant

silverheels2

Hello all:

Well, about a week ago this new shortcut shows up on my desktop named "Windows 10 Update Assistant". If I track it back to where it resides, which is in the root directory right below the Windows folder, there are a bunch of files and folders in there totaling about 20 MB. Now every time I power up a huge screen pops up saying something like "Windows 10 wants to download 5 GB of updates", and sets off to do that. I watch a file called "Download updates", and sure enough stuff starts filling up that folder. Up to this point I have been fighting this off and purging the file. It is very persistent however.

Could someone please tell me whether this is normal and indeed Win10 trying to update or have I been invaded? 5 GB is a huge file!!

Thank you in advance

I think it could be something to do with windows 10 upgrade, I had something called CompatTelRunner.exe install on my pc which would run after every boot, I stopped this by locating it & renaming it, you could try renaming the folder or have a look online for any other solutions, if you are running win 7 then sevenforums.com or w7forums.com can be useful.

Remember Windows Service Packs? Microsoft doesn't call them that any longer. In Windows 10, they are version numbers. Windows 10 Update Assistant is trying to update your pc to the current version level, probably to version 1703, the "Creators Update" as Microsoft's marketing wonks call it. Similar to when Windows 7 updated to Windows 7 SP1 (Service Pack 1). Open a command prompt and type the command WINVER to see your current Win10 version number.

Remember Windows Service Packs? Microsoft doesn't call them that any longer. In Windows 10, they are version numbers. Windows 10 Update Assistant is trying to update your pc to the current version level, probably to version 1703, the "Creators Update" as Microsoft's marketing wonks call it. Similar to when Windows 7 updated to Windows 7 SP1 (Service Pack 1). Open a command prompt and type the command WINVER to see your current Win10 version number.

Thanks Dave. I have rev 1503. I don't want to update. It works ok for me now. Am I correct in assuming security updates proceed automatically? Also, how can I kill this Update Assistant?

Thanks again

There are registry hacks that can disable Update Assistant. But I respectfully decline, because I think you'll have more trouble ahead if you don't keep your Windows updated. If you're using Win10's built-in Defender anti-virus and malware protection, you'll miss out on important changes that come with version 1703.

I've only had one obscure problem with 1703 (so far) - legacy printer drivers that use the SNMP protocol need a registry key added, or else they can go offline after long idle periods, and lock in that state. Most printers don't use SNMP, but some big industrial copier-printer machines do.

There are registry hacks that can disable Update Assistant. But I respectfully decline, because I think you'll have more trouble ahead if you don't keep your Windows updated. If you're using Win10's built-in Defender anti-virus and malware protection, you'll miss out on important changes that come with version 1703.

I've only had one obscure problem with 1703 (so far) - legacy printer drivers that use the SNMP protocol need a registry key added, or else they can go offline after long idle periods, and lock in that state. Most printers don't use SNMP, but some big industrial copier-printer machines do.

Thanks Dave. Well, the bidding has now gone up to 8 gig from the Assistant. It now demands 8 gig for updates. Incredible.

Thanks Dave. Well, the bidding has now gone up to 8 gig from the Assistant. It now demands 8 gig for updates. Incredible.

That does seem to be an excessive amount - when I did the 'Creators' update it stated that the update would download between 1.8 to 2.3 Gb, the eventual total was 1.9Gb.

It should be noted that the 'Creators' update is essentially a new 'full' version of W10 and so will be big. Also, the amount that needs to be downloaded is very dependent on the current update status of your rig. One option to check out what the 'real' amount will be is to run a manual check for updates and see what figure it states.

Note that there a number of things that affect how W10 updates. If you use a 'metered' connection, and have set the Windows update options to reflect this, downloads will be spread over time so that you don't, in theory, occur costs for exceeding any download limits that may be set by your ISP contract. But this does mean that your rig might not be getting upgraded regularly, especially if you are not constantly connected to the internet, and this may be why the figure is so high.

I use a 'metered' internet connection but for known major win updates I have always initiated a manual update.

Regards

Brian

That does seem to be an excessive amount - when I did the 'Creators' update it stated that the update would download between 1.8 to 2.3 Gb, the eventual total was 1.9Gb.

It should be noted that the 'Creators' update is essentially a new 'full' version of W10 and so will be big. Also, the amount that needs to be downloaded is very dependent on the current update status of your rig. One option to check out what the 'real' amount will be is to run a manual check for updates and see what figure it states.

Note that there a number of things that affect how W10 updates. If you use a 'metered' connection, and have set the Windows update options to reflect this, downloads will be spread over time so that you don't, in theory, occur costs for exceeding any download limits that may be set by your ISP contract. But this does mean that your rig might not be getting upgraded regularly, especially if you are not constantly connected to the internet, and this may be why the figure is so high.

I use a 'metered' internet connection but for known major win updates I have always initiated a manual update.

Thanks Brian

Very helpful. I'd like to let it update so I'll go check that "metered connection" option.

Thanks Brian

Very helpful. I'd like to let it update so I'll go check that "metered connection" option.

I should have been a bit more specific as where to find and set the 'metered' setting. The 'metered' setting does not appear under the Update and Security settings (where you can run a manual update) but appears under the Network and Internet settings. When the page opens you will see the network status statement and below it is a 'Change Connection Properties' link. Click on this and you will see a number of options, including the 'metered' option along with a description.

Something else that might impact on how updates are delivered is a setting option called 'Choose how updates are delivered' which is found under the Update and Security settings. In the Windows Update page, under the Update Settings section is an 'Advanced Options' link. Click on this and on the new page click on the 'Choose how updates are delivered' link. The options displayed are, IMO, aimed at (and more suited to) enhancing how updates are processed on an internal network within companies etc. However, one of the options, the 'PCs on my local network and PCs on the internet' MAY help you get the updates quicker but, again IMO, can also hinder the process and, if selected, can have a detrimental impact both on your network bandwidth speeds and data usage. Change the settings according to your personal requirements.

Regards

Brian

Archived