Power Supply and USB Usage

I read somewhere the power supply to the USB ports might be a little over taxed and could be a possible reason my Saitek X52 Pro looses calibration in mid-flight. Either why, I have a Corsair 750W power supply but I have let's see, the wireless mouse, Saitek Rudder Peddles, Saitek Pro Yoke and Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Switch Box, Saitek Separate Throttle Quadrant, Two cables from the Logitech Key board and the Saitek X52 Pro. I believe that is it. I am running the X52 through my registered FSUIPC as well as the rudder but not the brakes. I have upgraded my Video Card the the GeForce GTX 1070. Maybe I need to get a bigger power supply? Oh, I am running three monitors as well. I added the second Throttle Quadrant since this picture.

Flight Simulator Build.jpg

Mike G.

Intel Core i7-4770K, ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO Motherboard, , 8GB Memory , EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 6GB Video Card,Corsair Enthusiast 750W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply,Windows 7 64bit, Corsair Hydro Series H55 CPU Cooler

Cool, thanks! I found a Saitek (Or similar) power supply for the Saitek Yoke at Amazon. the Yoke has three ports. Do you think that would spread the load out enough?

Mike G.

Intel Core i7-4770K, ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO Motherboard, , 8GB Memory , EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 6GB Video Card,Corsair Enthusiast 750W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply,Windows 7 64bit, Corsair Hydro Series H55 CPU Cooler

Greetings all,

Cool, thanks! I found a Saitek (Or similar) power supply for the Saitek Yoke at Amazon. the Yoke has three ports. Do you think that would spread the load out enough?

It MIGHT, but you'd need to confirm what sort of power it can actually provide. The folks from GoFlight have a list of powered hubs they recommend and have tested with their power hungry equipment. I'm running a D-Link 7 port hub from that list, DHUB-H7 (part # BUBH7LB D1) and haven't had any issues. I think I paid US$25 from New Egg.

Respectfully,

Brian

I will look into it, thanks. The issue I am having with the X52 might be something else to since it just started screwing up in flight and when it does it throughs all the other controls out of wack to except for the assignments running through the FSUIPC. I am just now learning to use it but have changed at least all the button assignments through it. Still having trouble with the brakes, hat channel, and the X52 axis assignments.

Mike G.

Since ALL of it gets the 'juice' from the wall outlet, don't forget that Coffee Machine kicking in and draining the power available at the wall jack. And some lights will burn 100 Watts and drain it some more. Is your 50 inch TV also on? Fans? Stereo? All adds up!

With more than 3 USB connections you do need a QUALITY (cheap ones don't have the amps - at 5 volts) and POWERED (own AC brick) USB Hub. USB ports don't burn up - that is why you can 'stress' them - they just 'throttle down' (reduced current=equiptment ineffective function - your 'case'). E=IxR. E=MC2 (hehe).

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Since ALL of it gets the 'juice' from the wall outlet, don't forget that Coffee Machine kicking in and draining the power available at the wall jack. And some lights will burn 100 Watts and drain it some more. Is your 50 inch TV also on? Fans? Stereo? All adds up!

With more than 3 USB connections you do need a QUALITY (cheap ones don't have the amps - at 5 volts) and POWERED (own AC brick) USB Hub. USB ports don't burn up - that is why you can 'stress' them - they just 'throttle down' (reduced current=equiptment ineffective function - your 'case'). E=IxR. E=MC2 (hehe).

Chuck B

Napamule

Thought about that as well and actually running of a circuit from my bedroom that only has an alarm clock and lamp. It was working fine until last week. Trying the X52 on the other computer and of course it work fine.

Mike G.

Chuck B

Napamule

I think I am getting the picture. The one I ordered for the Pro Yoke is 5amps.

Mike G.

Mike,

Don't be concerned with anything else plugged into that same circuit. Any home built in the last 100 years has plenty of power in every circuit to power anything on that circuit. If there is an overload for any reason the circuit breaker will trip. Sometimes you need to sift through the bs to pull out nuggets of truth.

http://www.air-source.us/images/sigs/000219_195_jimskorna.png

I don't think you understand how AC wiring works. While the USB ports may be pulling too much power, if you overload the AC plug you'll just trip the breaker.

Given that a 15 Amp circuit will pull 1800W, I'd be shocked if one was getting anywhere close to that.

Cheers!

Luke

Meanwhile, back to my thread. What the heck keeps tripping my X52 Pro like an energy surge? Flying fine everything normal, I have the same plugs, surge protectors for over two years now in my apartment. I haven't change, added anything. However, good news I finally got brave enough to learn how to use my FSUIPC and now with almost everything assigned through it except for the Saitek peddles, switch box and the Pro Yoke axis only ( all the buttons are through FSUIPC) when the thing trips and throws out the axis calibration that is the only thing I need to reset And the yoke still works so it is only the Saitek Joy Stick that goes out of wack. As for the rest of you and all the BS I was a Journeyman Carpenter, Drywaller, Metal Framer, TI superintendent, Safety Superintendent at Nellis AFB inclusive twenty years as well as a SGT Squad Leader with the 2nd Inf Div so At Ease Already! Can we get back to my issue? Other guys might be able to learn something to. I believe everybody means well but let's be cool! Take a brake get a drink on me OK? One thing I learned FSUIPC is worth the money. Though it does take patience to learn. We all know Saitek (Logitech) gear can be testy.

Mike G.

Archived