Is it possible to shift an airfields position?

autosetup

With the program ADE you can make a new airport in the new location.

If you also buy a licence for ADE, you can move the existing airport.

Save the result as a new file and install that like you would do with an addon

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Seriously??

Do you have any idea the logistics involved with moving an entire airport?? :eek:

The number of jacks, the size of the unified jacking system, the incredible size and number of wheel truks you'd need?

All that's AFTER you manage to burrow under it deeply enough to place the jacks??

The very idea boggles the mind!!

At least my mind, for what that's worth :rolleyes: :cool: :p :D

Sorry, I just couldn't resist. :)

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Seriously??

The very idea boggles the mind!!

At least my mind, for what that's worth :rolleyes: :cool: :p :D

Sorry, I just couldn't resist. :)

Pat☺

You ought to be sorry! :pilot::rolleyes::cool:

To the OP: As il88pp says, ADE (with the license, not expensive) will do the job. I've both moved airports and reoriented runways with it, though with all the taxiways, etc, that can be more involved, but those are often not right either. It's a great program, but takes some time to learn (fun, though, to see the results), given all it will do.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

You ought to be sorry! :pilot::rolleyes::cool:

To the OP: As il88pp says, ADE (with the license, not expensive) will do the job. I've both moved airports and reoriented runways with it, though with all the taxiways, etc, that can be more involved, but those are often not right either. It's a great program, but takes some time to learn (fun, though, to see the results), given all it will do.

It's just a grass airfield, that needs to be moved about 5,000', so the choice seems to be, either a couple of diggers and a tipper truck, or learning how to use ADE, neither of which I fancy at the moment. I'll just have to put up with what I've got.

On second thoughts, I've had a closer look at ADE and the pro version is just what I need to do the job.

Thanks.

...is about 1 runway east of where it should be...

A runway? Probably some imperial unit I'm not aware of.

How many furlongs is that?

My general experience says that, if an airport afcad is off by position, the rest mostly isn't worth moving either. Better restart from scratch.

Moving/rotating an airport is probably one of the most eye-catching features of ADE's Prokey, and also one of the most useless for me. BTW ADE Prokey is worth every cent of it.

Wim

b727fcaptain.jpgx701captain5.jpg

I believe the Iranians shifted the airfield when they caused a

US stealth UAV to land on one of their runways last year. :cool:

Can't you just picture a whole ton of Iranian guys holding onto the runway, and running back and forth to position it JUST right to get the UAV to land on it? Fun, fun, fun!! :rolleyes:

Happy Flyin & don't spill your coffee!!!

NEVER! A cardinal sin! :p

I took a page out of Bob Hoover's book, and learned how to do all sorts of maneuvers while holding onto my coffee. Like when he pours iced tea into a glass while doing a barrel roll? I just expanded on it! My coffee is as safe as if it were still in it's beans on the tree :D :pilot:

Just out of curiosity, I wonder how many fathoms in a furlong? Or even a furshort?

I bethcha if it's a grass runway you'll see a burrow munching away contentedly whenever you want to land. Probably a furshort type of critter... ;) :rolleyes:

Have fun all, I sure am :D

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

A runway? Probably some imperial unit I'm not aware of.

How many furlongs is that?

A runway is 6 furlongs, (240 rods) and as you probably already know, is the distance a team of Oxen could haul a plough with 5 rest periods in between.

The airport in question is CYHE, (Hope) and is a simple patch of grass, so dragging it into place with ADE, (or teams of Oxen), should be a straight forward task.

OK, I get it.

ADE is the biz.

After about an hour floundering around , without using the manual, I managed to move the runway to where it should be. The flat bit it sits on, (the airfield), stays where it is and can't be moved.

This is where the Prokey comes in.

A $10 investment is required, or about 7 quid in real money, to move it, so it should open up a whole new world of shoving airports about.

OK, I get it.

The flat bit it sits on, (the airfield), stays where it is and can't be moved.

You can remove the original "airport background" and create a new one with flattening to move that "flat spot."

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

This is where the Prokey comes in.

A $10 investment is required, or about 7 quid in real money, to move it, so it should open up a whole new world of shoving airports about.

Not really, if you move an airport piece by piece (runways, aprons, taxiways,... ) you don’t need the Prokey. Only if you plan to move an airfield in its entirety.

The default airport backgrounds can’t be moved otoh, they’re part of another file.

In ADE you can just overrule the defaults and create new ones.

Wim

Not moved, but REmoved (or maybe it's EXCLUDED -- it's been a while). I've done many.

So did I. And you're right, it's called EXCLUDED btw.

What I wanted to make clear is that, Prokey or no Prokey, the airport background will never move with the airport with just one instruction.

Wim

So did I. And you're right, it's called EXCLUDED btw.

What I wanted to make clear is that, Prokey or no Prokey, the airport background will never move with the airport with just one instruction.

Wim

True enough...

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

So, for anybody whose interested in the OP original question.

Today I managed to recreate the Hope Airpark, in its correct position and obliterate the original incorrect airfield position. I didn't use the manual as it it is written in the wrong language for me, but video tutorials were very helpful. A few touch and goes with the 737, showed this to be a more realistic approach to the airport than the default version, to comply with historic fact.

Archived