Replacing default 747-400 VC gauges with steam guages...How to?

RichardFS

I recently found a wonderful 747-100 freeware, but it has no virtual cockpit. I want to merge the default 747-400 virtual cockpit with it but it would still be fairly unrealistic. I was wondering if I could replace the gauges in the default 747-400 virtual cockpit with gauges from another virtual cockpit (a freeware 707). I do NOT want to merge a different virtual cockpit; only the gauges. I guess this would be a two-step process, first replacing the gauges and then merging the cockpit. Is this possible?

First merge.

By coping the VC section from the 747_400 panel.cfg to the 747_100 panel.cfg

And then copying the required files to the required folders.

Do not use "alias" lines.

Before you start, open the 747_100 .mdl file (in the model folder) with Notepad.

See if it starts with MDLXMDLH in the first line.

If it does it is an fsx model and you can add (merge) a VC with it.

If it has MDL8MDLH in the first line, it's an fs2004 model, and you can't add a VC.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

First merge.

By coping the VC section from the 747_400 panel.cfg to the 747_100 panel.cfg

And then copying the required files to the required folders.

Do not use "alias" lines.

Before you start, open the 747_100 .mdl file (in the model folder) with Notepad.

See if it starts with MDLXMDLH in the first line.

If it does it is an fsx model and you can add (merge) a VC with it.

If it has MDL8MDLH in the first line, it's an fs2004 model, and you can't add a VC.

Is it possible to replace the 747-400 VC gauges with analog / tape gauges? I've read that it isn't.

Is it possible to replace the 747-400 VC gauges with analog / tape gauges? I've read that it isn't.

You have read correctly.

In this picture...

Capture.JPG

...the red/black checkerboard areas are all the can be changed.

Short of repainting the textures, there is no way to change anything else.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

A VC is different from a 2D panel. On a 2D panel you cna place the gauges anywhere. (except overtop of another gauge, although in some cases even that is possible.)

In the 747 VC, things like 2D screens, and also the buttons on the autopilot, can be swapped for other screens/buttons.

The VC is a 3D object.

I think of it like this:

"it's a 3d object, with holes cut out. The gauges are only visible if they are placed 'behind' the holes. Showing through."

This means you can only place a gauge somewhere where you first removed another gauge.

If you place it somewhere else, it will be hidden 'behind' the dashboard.

----------------------

Things like 3D switches, like the switches on the overhead in the VC, or the throttle handle and flap handle, are part of the VC. They can not be changed.

---------------------

Maybe just say what exactly you want to add/remove. Instead of asking very generic questions. It will be possible to give more direct, helpful answers.

----------------

If you are looking to add some functionality to the autopilot, like adding a AP-Master button in the 747-400 VC, have a look at this:

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?291525-How-do-I-get-all-buttons-to-work-in-the-boeing-747

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

A VC is different from a 2D panel. On a 2D panel you cna place the gauges anywhere. (except overtop of another gauge, although in some cases even that is possible.)

In the 747 VC, things like 2D screens, and also the buttons on the autopilot, can be swapped for other screens/buttons.

The VC is a 3D object.

I think of it like this:

"it's a 3d object, with holes cut out. The gauges are only visible if they are placed 'behind' the holes. Showing through."

This means you can only place a gauge somewhere where you first removed another gauge.

If you place it somewhere else, it will be hidden 'behind' the dashboard.

----------------------

Things like 3D switches, like the switches on the overhead in the VC, or the throttle handle and flap handle, are part of the VC. They can not be changed.

---------------------

Maybe just say what exactly you want to add/remove. Instead of asking very generic questions. It will be possible to give more direct, helpful answers.

----------------

If you are looking to add some functionality to the autopilot, like adding a AP-Master button in the 747-400 VC, have a look at this:

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?291525-How-do-I-get-all-buttons-to-work-in-the-boeing-747

I wasn't generic at all. I specifically said I wanted to replace the default gauges in the default 747-400 virtual cockpit with steam/analog gauges from a freeware 707 virtual cockpit. How much more specific did you want me to get?

You have read correctly.

In this picture...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]199903[/ATTACH]

...the red/black checkerboard areas are all the can be changed.

Short of repainting the textures, there is no way to change anything else.

peace,

the Bean

So you're saying it Can technically be done by repainting the texture?

So you're saying it Can technically be done by repainting the texture?

That is not at all what I said.

Again, with the exception of the red/black checkerboard areas, the only changes you can make to the VC is to repaint the textures. If you want a purple cockpit, you can have it.

As far as changing gauges, the only real estate you can work with is the checkerboard areas.

So technically you could replace the existing gauges with steam gauges, as long as you can make them fit in the checkerboard areas. Will it look anything like an old 74? No.

Again, in terms of working with gauges, the only real estate we have any control over is those checkerboard areas.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

"Is it possible to replace X gauges with Y gauges" is a very generic question.

"I have the following gauge (+image, description, filename, file location so we can also have a look at it), and I would like to use this gauge in the following plane (fsx default, or not, and if not, what then, .zip name, location where you found it) and put it in this position in the VC (+ screenshot image of vc, aqrrow indicating location, maybe even outline of location)." is a specific question, that can be more easily answered with "yes" or "no".

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Is it possible to replace X gauges with Y gauges" is a very generic question.

"I have the following gauge (+image, description, filename, file location so we can also have a look at it), and I would like to use this gauge in the following plane (fsx default, or not, and if not, what then, .zip name, location where you found it) and put it in this position in the VC (+ screenshot image of vc, aqrrow indicating location, maybe even outline of location)." is a specific question, that can be more easily answered with "yes" or "no".

Don't waste everybody's time if you aren't going to be helpful.

That is not at all what I said.

Again, with the exception of the red/black checkerboard areas, the only changes you can make to the VC is to repaint the textures. If you want a purple cockpit, you can have it.

As far as changing gauges, the only real estate you can work with is the checkerboard areas.

So technically you could replace the existing gauges with steam gauges, as long as you can make them fit in the checkerboard areas. Will it look anything like an old 74? No.

Again, in terms of working with gauges, the only real estate we have any control over is those checkerboard areas.

peace,

the Bean

Alright, well, in that case I could change the color from brown to gray and pretend it's a retrofitted -100? :D

Don't waste everybody's time if you aren't going to be helpful.

Richard, please try not to be so obnoxious. What you are asking cannot be done. Accept that reality.

Bill Leaming http://smileys.sur-la-toile.com/repository/Combat/0054.gif

Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Military Visualizations

Flightsim.com Panels & Gauges Forum Moderator

Flightsim Rig: Intel Core i7-2600K - 8GB DDR3 1333 - EVGA GTX770 4GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

Development Rig1: Intel Core i7-3770k - 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD7770 SLI 1GB - Win7 64bit Professional

Development Rig2: Intel Core i7-860 - 8GB DDR3 Corsair - GeForce GTS240 1GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

NOTE: Unless explicitly stated in the post, everything written by my hand is MY opinion. I do NOT speak for any company, real or imagined...

Archived