Freeware download Boeing 787-800 trouble with maintaining altitude close to airport

Downwind66

I downloaded a freeware Boeing 787-800. Aircraft is easy to fly, very controllable, that is, until you get close to the airport, in my case an attempt for ILS landing! When turning from downwind to base (assigned altitude of 2,000'), aircraft drops 180', which is okay, but, when aircraft tries to regain the 180', the aircraft climbs to 2,680' and then drops quickly searching for that assigned altitude of 2000'! When turning from base to final it's not as bad but still a drop in altitude and a try to recover that drop! My question is, is there something in the aircraft CFG file that might be able to be tweaked? I hate to just scrap the whole download, as I do enjoy flying it! Just hoping that maybe someone else has had problem with this particular aircraft and might be able to suggest a fix?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated! Thanks - Rick

747s aren't supposed to fly traffic patterns prior to landing.

You're manoeuvring way too close to the airport for that type of aircraft.

The normal "ILS acquire" heading is about 30° off ILS heading.

My suggestion is to fly an IFR plan and follow ATC instructions on how to position your aircraft.

Wim

b727fcaptain.jpgx701captain5.jpg

747s aren't supposed to fly traffic patterns prior to landing.

You're manoeuvring way too close to the airport for that type of aircraft.

The normal "ILS acquire" heading is about 30° off ILS heading.

My suggestion is to fly an IFR plan and follow ATC instructions on how to position your aircraft.

Wim

+1 always good advice! Thought he was flying a 787-800 (whatever the hell that is!):confused: 787-8? Maybe a TDS model? I think I'll standby till he says the lights don't work!

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Sorry about the 800. Nobody told me you were supposed to drop the 2 zero's making it

a 787-8, not a 787-800. When I downloaded the aircraft, the listing said 800 and when it shows up in my list of aircraft it shows 800! I surely won't let that happen again! Or maybe I will just to see if you guys are paying attention!

Sorry about that, FlyAway site, fslightman was the author, WestJet 787-800 Dreamliner

wjb788fsx.zip

Oh, this one! It's in our Library!

FSX - FSX Jetliners FSX WestJet Boeing 787-800

[ Download | View ]

Name: wjb788fsx.zip

Size: 21,107,962 Date: 09-05-2014 Downloads: 264

wjb788fsx.gif

FSX WestJet Boeing 787-800 Dreamliner. This flight Model was created by Camil Valiquette. All other updates were added by David Grindele.

Definitely 787-8. FSlightman just named the folder 787-800. I tried a test flight KFAT-KSFO and found flying IFR with ATC, A/P, and A/T is was a little dippsy-doodle in the ILS 28R approach turns but leveled out nicely for the approach and landing.

REALLY!:confused:

787-8.JPG

As others gave you, Normal positioning to land is from about 100 miles out, not doing GA-style pattern approaches. And certainly not close-in to the airport. Nobody does those in dense traffic environments with airborne passengers milling about.

Airport and airway holds are positioned tens of miles from the the airport and the approach vectors. A stack approach means flying a hold usually in a descending spiral around a fixed point until vectored to land by ATC. Its very poor form to do so as its a complete waste of fuel, so your landing time is programmed to the flight plan so you don't do any of this and land to the nearest 10-20 seconds.

If you want to fly close-in approaches representing a test flight or somesuch random nonsense then you won't want any passengers, zero or v. little baggage, and fuel sufficient for a few circuits and bumps.

If you are simulating airline flying then you will want to gen-up on practices and procedures as what you were doing there was more Beechcraft than Boeing...

Mr Zippy - That's it, "787-8", Dippsy-doodle I can't do. I downloaded a Boeing 787-9 (get that, not 900) this morning from your site, flies without issue! I have deleted the "dippsy-doodle!" Thanks for getting back to me!

Have a nice day! - Rick

OK, good luck with the 787-9. Sure hope the wings aren't giving you the "PSA Grinning bird";)

You know what, Mallcott, I don't fly with any passengers, no baggage and I don't make C172 traffic patterns either! You can fly the flight sim big boys with downwind legs about 8 miles away from the airport and a base which will put you some 10-12 miles from the airport. Some on here are suggesting I fly too close in to the airport, I don't think so! When flying the flight sim, I only have myself to satisfy! I am 69 years old, too old to be wanting to fly commercially. I have had my PPL for 51 years now, haven't used it in over 24 years, as the real cost of flying has gotten out of my reach. Flying the sim helps me keep my brain working, trying to avoid Alzheimers/dementia, at any cost! Some people read books, not for me!

And that my friend is what my flying today is all about!

Have a nice day! - Rick

• 2 weeks later...
Hello Downwind66. I have to agree with you. I am 61 and I have learned so much from the sim and do every time I set up to fly. sometimes its the planning of a flight, the weather settings or just a fun short flight around one of the many fantastic airports in ORBX NA. just enjoy your hobby and don't get to hung up on being perfect every time..PS. i still use a windows XP computer, but I'm able to use medium settings to get a smooth flight..makes me happy...

Windows10 64bit

GeForce GTX 1060

Seagate Hard Drive 1 TB, 750 W Powersply

CPU I7-7700 3.6 GHZ 8 GB RAM

My Kudos to you sagamol! Funny how the older we get, our expectations get a lot less than what they were years ago. I do enjoy the flight simming, and I do try to push the mind as much as I can, but I certainly will not leave this world being an "airline pilot!"

Have a nice day! Rick

[ATTACH=CONFIG]199881[/ATTACH]

I'm sorry, but that wingflex is incorrect for that position on the runway!

I initially downloaded Cam's 787s when I first got into FSX, then TDS came out with theirs. Difference is night and day, literally.

Once I saw how good TDS' planes were, I removed all of CamSim's planes.

And the reason for the "800" nomenclature? That was the original designation of the plane. So at the time the WestJet livery was released, it was accurate. But it was later shortened to just "8" I believe sometime after its flight trials.

Archived