PSA: CCleaner Virus Infection

loki

The popular CCleaner utility was recently the victim of a hacking attack that infected the 32 bit version 5.33. It doesn't look like the 64 bit version was affected.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/how-to/security/ccleaner-malware-incident-what-you-need-to-know-and-how-to-remove/

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/09/ccleaner-malware-outbreak-is-much-worse-than-it-first-appeared/

If you were infected it appears that the only sure way to recover is by wiping and reinstalling Windows.

Thank you for the warning.

I use Win7-x64-Home Premium.

CCleaner installed is also x64. [ I double-checked, and it is in "Program Files", and not in "Program Files (x86) ].

Also, no Agomo reg key under 'Piriform'. Only the two regular CCleaner and Speccy keys.

From what I read that means I'm safe.

(I updated to 5.34 a few days ago, but had 5.33 before that.)

One thing I wonder is, in

C:/program Files/CCleaner

are both versions:

CCleaner.exe

and CCleaner64.exe

(Same goes for Speccy)

I think that means that even on a x64 system, the 32bit version gets installed as well anyway. In the "Program Files" folder. (reiterating, it's NOT in the "Program Files (x86)" folder.)

I read here that this may be because the installer doesn't select one file, and just installs both for simplicity. But I'm not sure the 32 bit ever runs or does anything in that location.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-why-two-versions-of-the-same-program.1059413/

At the moment I have the new 5.34 version. I tested running CCleaner, and only had the x64 version was running in task manager. But I don't know if the compromised version was the same. Or if that somehow forced the "CCleaner.exe" to run.

Could you share your thoughts on that please?

Thanks very much loki. Scary this could go unnoticed that long.

I'll inform people I know that they may need to take action.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

And how many users would know what they're looking at when reading those logs? It is a good thing to do for those who understand it, but the reality is most wouldn't know a valid request from a malicious one.

I wasn't talking about users of Ccleaner. I said server logs. A little reading comprehension is needed on your part. Sever logs are the logs from the servers that host the Ccleaner executable. Hackers were able to gain entry and replace the executable with one that is laced with malware. Plus, Ccleaner should be signed.

I wasn't talking about users of Ccleaner. I said server logs. A little reading comprehension is needed on your part. Sever logs are the logs from the servers that host the Ccleaner executable. Hackers were able to gain entry and replace the executable with one that is laced with malware. Plus, Ccleaner should be signed.

Sorry, I misread your post. No need to be rude.

• 1 month later...

Archived