Managing views

Tiga1050

Hi,

I am a newcomer and am enjoying Microsoft FX Steam edition with a Thrustmaster HOTAS set up with separate throttle and stick. One of my big challenges currently is effectively managing all of the different view options and I wonder how others solve this effectively? In review videos etc. I see the view point being changed and moved smoothly and rapidly and I wonder how this is achieved so seamlessly? I have a couple of functions such as look right and left programmed to buttons on the stick but it would be impractical to cover all options this way, especially when all of the external view options are included. Do people use the keyboard and / or mouse in addition to the throttle and stick as part of the regular control set or am I missing something fundamental?

Thanks for your suggestions.

I think I'm tending towards the 3D views but each time I return to, for example, the standard 3D forward view which I have programmed on a button, it seems to be reset to a standard viewpoint and not where I left it. I guess I have to do a lot more reading of the manual.

Get a copy of FSX Key Commands so you can map view changes. There are about 40 different views. Download from the library here at FSCom (menu='File Library>Search'). File name is 'fsxcmnds.zip', 1.98 Mb. It prints out landscape on 1 letter (8x11.5 in) size page. View changes is best done by using the combination of: 'A' key (cycles thru views) and 'S' key (cycles thru category). Plus you can get a window by use of '[' key. Right click and choose view you want, and drag size to reduce size, then move to place on window. I use 'Outside>Top Down' view to find runway or grass strips when it's cloudy (you can see 'thru' clouds!) or am in mountainous terrain.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Thanks for the info, it's very helpful.

I have downloaded the file that you suggested Chuck and it answers my original question. I can see that it is definitely necessary to use the keyboard as well as any throttle / stick set up! I think some experimentation is needed now to better understand the various options.

Thanks again.

Hi Tiga,

I was looking for your post with the intention of responding when it occurred to me that the title of this forum is misleading. It should be something like "General Flight Simulator Questions".

The subject of the different views available in FSX can be very confusing. Different terms such as Windows and Panels can refer to the exact same thing. "Views" can be used for completely different things.

To keep it simple as possible, and avoiding discussion of Panels or Pop up windows, there are view categories and different views within each category. I highly recommend assigning the command ""Look forward (3-D cockpit)" to the trigger button on your controller. This command is not assigned to any key by default. The result of this is that by pressing the trigger you'll be returned to the Virtual cockpit looking straight forward regardless of what the current view is. I also recommend setting another controller key to "View (next category)" which is keyboard "S" by default and yet another controller key to "View (next view in category)" which is "A" by default. This works well for me.

Jim F

Quote: 'I think some experimentation is needed now to better understand the various options.'

I hate to be a show-off but here is a 'suggestion' that will cut down on 'experimentation' (hehe). It's already been figured out. All that is needed is for you (others) to try it. I use a USB 10 Keypad (Targus - $15) and map a bunch of key commands to it. Save your trigger key for brakes.

Chuck B

Napamule

Edit: Not saying you need throttle on keypad. But any of the key command WILL be utilized if mapped to keypad. Including certain views. Can't hurt. FSX will accept multiple assignments of same 'action' to different keys. So there you go. Improvement? I hope.

10 Key Assign_FS9 & FSX.jpg

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Quote: '...couple of functions such as look right and left programmed to buttons on the stick'.

When in 2D view you can use your joystick 'hat switch' to 'look around'. No need to use up buttons on your stick. Plus you don't take eyes off of screen to look for keys either. That's the beauty of 10-Keypad. You 'feel' for dot on '5' key and can operate all those keys also without looking away from screen! Joy on right hand, Keypad to left of keyboard and operated with left hand. Yeah, you occasionally have to 'look' for key (like 'G' key for gear) but it make things easier.

Chuck B

Napamule

I see the view point being changed and moved smoothly and rapidly and I wonder how this is achieved so seamlessly?

You might be referring to videos made by people using TrackIR, a device that allows your head movement to change the views much as you do in real life. It allows me to have the S and Shift-S programmed on my stick for changing from cockpit to outside, etc., and pretty much all else controlled by moving my head, including moving forward, back, left, right, etc.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

...each time I return to, for example, the standard 3D forward view which I have programmed on a button, it seems to be reset to a standard viewpoint and not where I left it. I guess I have to do a lot more reading of the manual.

Though you can change your viewpoint while in the cockpit, it will reset to the default if you go to another view and return. The default can be edited in the aircraft.cfg file:

[Views]

eyepoint= 5.548, -1.135, 2.58

"This value specifies, in feet, the longitudinal, lateral, and vertical position of the pilot’s eyepoint from the aircraft’s datum point."

If you use the default keys only, you are probably using + to look forward.

But if you moved the seating position around, that command will also move your position in the chair back to the starting position.

The default command assigned to +

There's another command that will work better.

"Look Forward (3D Cockpit)"

It will not move the seating position. Only look forward.

You can assign it to a free key on the keyboard. I assigned that to a key on my Joystick.

(Logitech 3D Pro. I used button 12 for it.)

I used keyboard/mouse only about 6 months. Then found this forum and and quickly after bought a Joystick. (The 3D pro).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived