The Mojave Desert

The Mojave Desert...The LAX Area to the Mojave Northeast (Los Angeles County) to Hwy 58 in (San Bernadino County)

http://i.imgur.com/pL0oauC.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/BmItEIT.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/MfWp8KX.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/B4RVQGr.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/yvJoMrS.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/6sGEwmF.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/EFSqm1J.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/EpodVKI.jpg

(Continued on Page 2)

I mean no disrespect, or insult here. I'm sure those are great pics in and of themselves.

My problem is I was born and raised in the redwood trees in the San Francisco Bay Area, but when I joined the Corps, they stuck me in Yuma, AZ. I wound up being there for 30 years. Less than a quarter mile from both California and Mexico. I could literally throw a rock from my property into either one.

I HATE the desert. It's the antithesis (big word, huh?) of what I grew up used to. I thought it was a miserable place. Dry, dessicated, everything has spines, thorns, is venomous, poisonous, bites, stings, or any combination of the above. I've seen it 110°F on Christmas. CHRISTMAS for heaven sake.

I have never been able to get my head around the whole "It has a beauty all it's own". No, it doesn't! Blech...

/rant off/

Sorry. Those are great pictures of a nice looking aircraft in flight, no question. I just can't "get" any beauty of the scenery. It's all on me. Like I say, I really mean no insult, or anything, I truly don't...

I'm going to go get a crowbar to pry my foot out of my mouth now...

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Impressive looking shots of the desert!

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz Cpu, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB Videocard, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360 Water Cooler, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI Motherboard, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W Power Supply, G.SKILL 48Gb Ram @76000 MHz DDR5 Ram, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB Drive, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

I get your hate of the desert especially the "arm pit of Arizona, Yuma".

I live outside of Las Vegas and I love the desert. I am currently driving across country and all I see is green trees and more green trees. I spent a few summers in Seattle and after about three months, I started missing the desert. Things I like about it:

No snow

No cold winter days

No mosquitoes

I've only seen 2 scorpions and three snakes in 5 years

No hurricanes

No tornadoes

Only small earthquakes

Beautiful sunsets

That gorgeous desert blue sky

EVERYTHING IS AIR CONDITIONED

Bob

I don't hate the desert since I'm basically there (Northern LA County).

I get your hate of the desert especially the "armpit of Arizona, Yuma".

I live outside of Las Vegas and I love the desert. I am currently driving across country and all I see is green trees and more green trees. I spent a few summers in Seattle and after about three months, I started missing the desert. Things I like about it:

No snow

No cold winter days

No mosquitoes

No hurricanes

No tornadoes

Only small earthquakes

Beautiful sunsets

Bob

I get your hate of the desert especially the "arm pit of Arizona, Yuma".

No snow

No cold winter days

No mosquitoes

No hurricanes

No tornadoes

Only small earthquakes

Beautiful sunsets

Bob

Oh, like I say, each to their own!

BUT: I'll agree, no snow, and no cold winter days...oh wait, I saw days where I had to scrape the frost off my bike's wind screen. I would drive it out to work, an hour each way, and I would have to wear so many layers I looked like the Michelin Man. Waddled out, got on and pray it started. No snow though, except 1 Christmas we did get a few flakes. Didn't stick. Then again, I've seen it 110° F too...

No mosquitoes, no...Just wasps, hornets and killer bees. No skeeters though! Except the thick clouds of them anywhere near what was left of the Colorado River, before it petered out completely down in what was once the delta.

Earthquakes, smaller than where I grew up, no doubt. My parent's house was 35' from the western edge of the San Andreas.

I saw snakes nearly every night I went to work. Rattlers, Coral snakes, stuff like that. Scorpions and tarantulas every night too. Solifugids too. UGLY things /shudder/

I've seen both Hurricanes, and tornadoes. I grant, just one hurricane came up out of the Gulf of California, but it was still cat 1. I've seen I don't know how many tornadoes. We wound up digging an underground shelter for them. Thank goodness we had plenty of heavy equipment and operators for it! Tons of lightning and flooding too. Monsoon season was always an adventure!

And always, illegals sneaking in, camping on my property. 2.5 acres. Plenty of room. Caught one speaking some dialect from the Mideast, too. Lotsa practise holding people at gun-point. Caught a bunch on the Marine Rifle Range, and out at the Aerostat Site, too.

My neighbors were one of the worst chop-shops in Arizona. They fought dogs, one lady killed her infant daughter by putting her into a bed with 6 other kids while she did crack in the front room.

But they only set fire to my property 3 times. We did find a burning car with 4 bodies in it on our access road.

It got to where I didn't set foot out my front door without a side-arm, at the least. Long-arms some nights too.

All this fun stuff may have just been Yuma, though. And the sunsets were very nice.

Have fun all!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Great shots of Mojave! Now for @Pat....I always had a great rule to live by....I worked where I lived rather than lived where I worked. Seems like you made a conscious decision to stay in the Yuma area even though you disliked it so much. ;)

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

I did, Zippy, but I felt that it was best for my children to grow up in a relatively stable environment, even if it was miserable for me. I had a good paying job, the kids had decent schools (although they closed one for a bit due to fire ants), I had a large piece of property for them to play on, once I had cleared it before they went out to play.

All in all, I did it for the kids. Maybe not the best reasons, maybe I made a big mistake not going deep into debt fresh out of the Corps to move my family, maybe...

I can maybe forever. As soon as the last children were out, I moved. Took a year to find the place I am now, but well worth it to me. I am more than happy and content here. It is as close as I could, and can, afford to where I grew up. I'm sure you, of all people, know how expensive Woodside is now. 12 years ago, I saw a bare, 1/4 acre lot, no services, no nothing, $1 million dollars. I'll stay here, thanks...

Have fun all!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived