I have Very Interesting and Mysterious "LOW FPS PERFORMANCE problem"

damlays

I have Very Interesting and Mysterious "LOW FPS PERFORMANCE problem" in FSX Acceleration.

Interesting, because my system doesn't have a low configuration, and I tried many different performance tweaks.

BUT in my all tries I always got a terrible performance as "My Average FPS: 6.150 - Min: 4 - Max: 8" (measured by FRAPS)!

I’ve never reached an average FPS even 8 or above until now!

MY SYSTEM :

- Intel Core i7-2600K CPU 3.40GHz

- Mainboard Big-Bang Marshal (MS-7670)

- RAM 20 GB 1333 MHx

- NVIDIA Geforce GTX 950

- Windows 7 x64

WHAT I TRIED :

- HIGHMEMFIX , [bUFFERPOOLS], [JOBSCHEDULER] AffinityMask, WideViewAspect=True, [TERRAIN] LOD_RADIU, , [MAIN] FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION, TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT …. I tried them (and more tweaks which didn’t write here) one by one or in different combinations…by playing with different values… BUT THE RESULT of FPS was NEVER AFFECTED!

- “NVIDIA Inspector” settings for FSX

- UIAutomationCore.dll placed in program folder for x64 system

- Changed FSX quality settings from “Ultra High” to “High” or “Medium”

- I closed other time and CPU consuming software like Antivirus, Dropbox etc before FSX starts

BUT NONE of THEM GAVE ANY LITTLE INCREASE in FPS… It was still around only 6 or 7 per second!

So I could not solve this mystery. I don’t know what makes my FSX performance terrible!

I feel like something in computer is decreasing the performance very much before everything, so any other tweak settings cannot make any effect after that. But what can it be? I don't see any CPU consuming application in process list.

Anybody have an idea what to try after this point?

Look at my specs. Identical (almost) to yours. I build it myself by buying parts seperate and assembling it myself. It is 5+ yrs old.

Only 2 things come to mind. (1). MB Chip Set Drivers. (2). Direct X version installed. Of course you would go into BIOS and see that things were set for high speed operation of your CPU, etc. Also did you replace memory sticks? To what slots? How can my 8 Gb Ram outperform your 20 Gb? By you putting 8+8 in 2 slots and 4 in the other slot, that's how. Sticks get installed in pairs. (This coud be it?). And what is your power supply wattage and rating?

Not all of the fsx cfg tweaks will work to your advantage. Try delete of fsx cfg to build a new one (just for kicks). Back up fsx cfg first. Also what Anti Virus are you running and WHY would you disable that? Ever! I use Avast Free and it don't impact FSX. I get 30 fps (locked) and 45 unlimited. FS2004 I get 300 fps. I also use FRAPS a lot (daily almost).

Chuck B

Napamule

Edit: Where you plug your hard drives SATA connection) is important. And I hope HDrives are 7200 rpm and up - makes a HUGE difference.

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Indeed, something is running along side FSX and, whatever it is, it's eating up all the CPU cycles. Two things I'd do next.....download and run the free Process Explorer from here: https://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/process-explorer-portable. Process Explorer will let you see exactly what's running and how much CPU each application is using. Then delete your FSX.cfg file to get rid of the tweaks (FSX will build a new one the next time it's started). Come back and let us know what happens after that..........Doug
Intel 10700K @ 5.0 Ghz, Asus Maxumus XII Hero MB, Noctua NH-U12A Cooler, Corsair Vengence Pro 32GB 3200Mhz, Geforce RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, and other good stuff.

Only 2 things come to mind. (1). MB Chip Set Drivers. (2). Direct X version installed. Of course you would go into BIOS and see that things were set for high speed operation of your CPU, etc. Also did you replace memory sticks?....

Thanks for your detailed reply,

If it can give an additional clue, I can add that "Grand Thief Auto 5" is installed on the same machine. And playing that game is very smooth, never get slow down, and average FPS never goes below 27/sec even in most loaded scenes.

Besides, all other applications run smooth and CPU performance was always good enough for them. But when it comes to FSX I faced with that problem (only in FSX). So I never thought that this can be CPU problem of machine's configuration, and I always focused on solutions regarding FSX settings and tweaks. But I could not reach to any solution, or even any little idea until now...

Regarding the reason I told above, I didn't play with BIOS settings yet. But if you have some advises about which settings of BIOS can be more critical (regarding fsx), I can try those.

About DirectX, actually initially DirectX 11 was installed on computer. Normally FSX will not run under v11, but I installed GTA5 before FSX, and GTA5 installed DirectX 9 automatically, so FSX could run without any prompt.

Memory sticks are as Slot0 & Slot1 : 2GB, Slot 3, and Slot 4 : 8GB

I am not very sure about power supply technical details (if it is critical I can investigate)

I already tried deleteng fsx.cgf but no result.

I closed antivirus just for trying a new way after I tried all the things and could not succeed (it is Kaspersky Internet Security).

System is running on SSD 6GB/s..And FSX is installed on this drive..There is no problem about Harddrive performance.

Indeed, something is running along side FSX and, whatever it is, it's eating up all the CPU cycles. Two things I'd do next.....download and run the free Process Explorer from here: https://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/process-explorer-portable. Process Explorer will let you see exactly what's running and how much CPU each application is using. Then delete your FSX.cfg file to get rid of the tweaks (FSX will build a new one the next time it's started). Come back and let us know what happens after that..........Doug

Thanks, I already have that tool installed , and nothing special seen, no other applications is consuming CPU when FSX is running.

System Idle Process is usually between 60%-90%

FSX is between 10%-35%

Others are usually 1% or less

PS.Using or not using tweaks (Deleting fsx.cfg) is not changing much thing. I am not very sure, but maybe deleting fsx.cfg is decreasing fps very little from average 6-7/sec to average 5-6/sec)

Copy of Capture.JPG

What percentage is AI Road Traffic set to? You can see it FSX.CFG.

I guess the info you asked is this section as seen below

[TrafficManager]

AirlineDensity=15

GADensity=15

FreewayDensity=15

ShipsAndFerriesDensity=35

LeisureBoatsDensity=35

IFROnly=0

AIRPORT_SCENERY_DENSITY=3

- UIAutomationCore.dll placed in program folder for x64 system

Whilst it might not be directly related to the FSX FPS problem can you verify what you mean by this statement.......

Which version of the UIAutomationCore.dll are you talking about and its exact location?

If you are referring to a copy of the XP or Vista version of the file it should only be placed in the ROOT directory of FSX (i.e. at C;\FSX for example).

WRT to the problem - what is the screen resolution you are using. Have you changed the resolution to a different value to see if it improve things. Also check that FSX is using the 950 card and not the onboard graphics device built into the motherboard

Regards

Brian

Whilst it might not be directly related to the FSX FPS problem can you verify what you mean by this statement.......

Which version of the UIAutomationCore.dll are you talking about and its exact location?

There is a tweak which is defined as "UIAutomationCore.dll – dll library file that improves 32-application performance in 64-bit systems. You need to download it an place in your main FSX folder to prevent OOM errors (among others). "

I just tried this, and after I see no solution cancelled it.

I am using the minimum resolution available fsx in order to increase FPS, but it is not giving any result too.

I realized one thing, when I continue flying and go out of the cities FPS can increase up to 14-15/s

Can it be about scenery/texture settings?

Also sometimes I see some flashes and spikes in scenery..And sometimes fast camera impacts happens (like something hits camera) in the view.

Remove all of your memory.

Then put back only

8gb in slot 1

8gb in slot 3

leave the 2gb sticks out completely.

--

Then, reinstall your videocard driver.

Install pending Windows updates. Don't just leave them pending.

That should fix most of it.

To also get some reasonable settings:

--

shut down fsx

delete the fsx.cfg file

start fsx to have it rebuild the .cfg file.

-

set monitor to native resolution in Windows.

Adjust settings in FSX. No messing around in the .cfg file.

Leave resolution at screens native resolution.

set both boat traffic settings, and car traffic, to 5.

leave scenery detail and autogen detail to 'normal'. (or lower if it is set there already.)

--

try playing fsx just, without fraps.

---

Any addon planes you were using?

Fly a default plane instead. Your pc is not usp to running things like a FSX-PMDG777

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

- Changed FSX quality settings from “Ultra High” to “High” or “Medium”

I'd start by reducing ALL the display settings, individually, to low, then start increasing them one at a time by stages until you get to around medium, checking the results each time. It also would be interesting to know what aircraft you're using (some really chew up resources), and to know whether you're in big city areas (LA, S Fran, NY, etc.) or out in the country (desert, mountains, etc.). Also AI traffic, road and boat traffic all have their effects, too.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

There is a tweak which is defined as "UIAutomationCore.dll – dll library file that improves 32-application performance in 64-bit systems. You need to download it an place in your main FSX folder to prevent OOM errors (among others). "

I just tried this, and after I see no solution cancelled it.

I am using the minimum resolution available fsx in order to increase FPS, but it is not giving any result too.

The UIAutomationCore.dll doesn't improve performance, it only prevents a specific type of crash from happening.

Like IL88PP said:

''Remove all of your memory.

Then put back only: 8gb in slot 1, 8gb in slot 3 (leave the 2gb sticks out completely).

Then, reinstall your videocard driver. Install pending Windows updates. Don't just leave them pending. That should fix most of it.'

As far as BIOS: going in to look won't hurt anything. If you need guide go to YouTube and enter your BIOS Version (depends of Manufacturer of your MB- which is MSI) in search (plus 'how to'). You need to check if you ARE using your video card and not on-board video. You will also learn what else you can 'mess with'. Don't worry. The MB software backs up the BIOS and you can recover if you 'mess with' it and it crashes. Get familiar with your PC hardware. It isn't hard to learn. Also YTube has videos about proper care of SSD's. What NOT to do, etc.

Chuck B

Napamule

Edit: If you don't feel comfortable going into PC guts and pulling memory sticks: take it to shop you bought PC at (or, any shop, really) with one side cover removed and they will probably do it for you for $20 or maybe even free (and they may even give you advice....if you are willing to listen are not in a hurry, talk about other PC problems, etc). Tell them you are trying to make it work for Flight Simulator. You might be surprised how many techs know FS.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

I have this suspicion that you might have installed the SSD after you purchased your rig (ie: it did not come with rig you purchased). Am I right? If I am right then did you CONFIGURE it by going into the BIOS (as this is VERY important)? If I am wrong about this then I apologize. The has GOT to be a reason for the low fps. There has to be a 'mix up' somewhere.

Chuck B

Napamule

I have this suspicion that you might have installed the SSD after you purchased your rig (ie: it did not come with rig you purchased). Am I right? If I am right then did you CONFIGURE it by going into the BIOS

I didn't know that I need to make additional settings from BIOS for SSD...How can I do that?

On the other hand, I guess I've solved half of the FPS problem:

I attached a second Display Card to the system "NVIDIA Geforce GTX 580" (without detaching my first display card), and then I ran FSX from the monitor which is connected to this second card.

This time FSX ran perfect :)

It was nearly always at target FPS 20/s.

Now I can know that problem is related with my display card NVIDIA Geforce GTX 950 .

But I still don't know what is the problem with card. I re-intalled the latest Nvidia Driver for it and tried again, but FPS was stil around 7/s with this card.

I am not sure what can I try more..

GPU load is always around 99%, I don't know this is normal or not..

PS.

By the way, as I mentioned before, this first card was working perfect with Grand Thief Auto 5 without any performance problem. It seems there is something not matching with my NVIDIA Geforce GTX 950(or settings of card) & FSX...

Archived