Thread: Basic scenery install question

Question Basic scenery install question

It's been a few years since I've added any scenery to FSX, but I thought I would remember once I looked at downloaded files.

Not so. I just DLed One WTC, the new World Trade Center tower. The DL has a Scenery file, which contains one .bgl file, and a Texture file with a whole bunch of .dds files. There is no installation wizard or even a ReadMe file. Where do I put these 2 folders? Or do I copy the files in each of them and paste them somewhere else?

Thanks everyone.

Mac6737

The 1WTC folder containing the scenery and texture folder should be placed into your FSX/AddonScenery folder and the start FSX and add the area using your Scenery Library.
    Mr Zippy Sent from my keyboard using "Whackamole", NudgeAKey + 2 Fingers

Emachines T3418 AMD 3400+ processor 2GHZ/256KB L2 Cashe 2Gig Ram 160Gig HDD NVidia GEForce 6100 GPU Running WinXP Home Can't believe it still works! Running FSX Standard with SP1 and SP2

You might have to make 2 folders and place them under a folder called 'WTC' under 'AddOn Scenery' main folder. The folder NAMES are 'scenery' and the other is 'texture'. You place *.bgl files in 'scenery' folder and *.dds files in 'texture' folder. This will allow you to delete it later without effecting any other scenery you have installed.

So: 'AddOn Scenery'
    ...........'WTC'
    ...............'scenery'
    ...............'texture'

That's it. You then go to main menu by going to 'World' then 'Scenery Library' and then 'Add Area', browse to 'WTC', dbl click on 'WTC' and then 'ok' plus click anywhere on white area of window. Restart FSX so sim can rebuild the scenery cfg.
    Chuck B
    Napamule
    i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D. FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Never a need to restart FSX. It will rebuild the .cfg on the spot AND the scenery will show up IMMEDIATLY.

You are right Jim. (My bad-brain fart-sorry).
    Chuck B
    Napamule
    i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D. FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Thanks.

I just put the WTC folder (containing the Scenery and Texture sub-folders) into Addon Scenery, started FSX; scenery library, add scenery; click.

Problem: The tower isn't finished! There's a construction crane on top.

7. Default

No restart needed after a scenery change. Not after a panel-gauges edit either, just reload aircraft.
    You do need to restart fsx after a texture edit. Sometimes to get a full clean result even that doesn't do, so to make sure, test the result after a system reboot too.
    Another similar one: don't edit scenery.cfg file by hand or with an editor while fsx is running. And same for fsx.cfg file.

This sounds like the scenery I made for 1 WTC some years ago.

At the time, the tower wasn't finished. I probably figured everyone knew how to install scenery by that time, but there is likely a link to my old site giving a tutorial.