Program Compatibility Assistant msg shows up each time

oneleg

I'm getting this message each time I exit from FSX. It keeps showing up after pressing Run Program on the pop-up. How do I stop this?

I have set Compatibility Mode to Administrator in the FSX icon on my desktop.

I have FSX with Acceleration and Windows 10 Creator's Update with 8 GB of RAM and lots of disk space.

fsx-program compatibility assistant error.jpg

Win 10 Pro, MSFS Premium Deluxe Steam, i7-8700, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1070ti, hardwired 950 Mbps, wifi 5 Ghz 50+ Mbps, Gsync 27-in 2560 x 1440 Dell monitor, Logitech 3D Pro joystick, and Quest 2 VR

This message is referring to the Compatibility mode setting and not the Run in Admin mode setting - they are two separate settings.

Right click on the FSX icon and bring up the properties window. Click on the Compatibility tab. Look at the 'Compatibility mode' section of the tab located directly below the 'Run compatibility troubleshooter' button.

Place a tick in the 'run this program.......' box and then select an option from the drop down menu that becomes active - I suggest the XP SP3 option. Click the OK button to set and then test.

Regards

Brian

I run the same FS version on the same OS version, and have no compatibiltiy mode set wso.

Wim

Hi Wim,

Like you I also run FSX Accel on W10 Creators edition fine without having to set the compatibility mode and have never had to do so on other versions of the Win that I have used.

Unfortunately, there could be many reasons why the message is presented and, likewise, there are a number of ways to resolve the issue - some simple and some more complex.

Obviously, there is something causing the issue and I have offered the info in my original post so that the OP can make the easiest and most simple change and see if that resolves the issue.

Regards

Brian

Unfortunately, there could be many reasons why the message is presented and, likewise, there are a number of ways to resolve the issue - some simple and some more complex.

Obviously, there is something causing the issue and I have offered the info in my original post so that the OP can make the easiest and most simple change and see if that resolves the issue.

Correct. I was just trying to say (in a clumsy way) that the OP may have a compatibility option set that isn't needed.

Time for more detailed info (specs) from the OP?

Wim

b727fcaptain.jpgx701captain5.jpg

Yep, definitely more info/update is required from the OP..........

If, as I assume from the statement 'getting this message each time I exit (my emphasis) from FSX', FSX works correctly from startup and the error message is only displayed upon exit then the issue could be caused by something external to FSX i.e. possibly a failed attempt to write data to a system file for example.

The comment 'It keeps showing up after pressing Run Program on the pop-up. How do I stop this?' needs expansion. What would be useful is details of any other message(s) that may appear before running the program AND what info is displayed after hitting the Run program button. As it happens each time FSX is run and exited, it implies that the ''settings' applied are not holding/being saved and this itself may be the reason that the error persists. Another test that could be carried out is to simply hit the Close button and not the Run Program button to see if that 'saves' the settings and resolves the issue.

If FSX does work OK and the OP sets the compatibility mode as I have suggested and the problem remains then he/she will need to investigate further as this may point to something outside of FSX causing the issue.

One other possible solution that can be considered is to place (if the OP hasn't already done so) a copy of the XP or Vista version of the uiautomationcore_dll file into the main FSX directory then disable the compatibility mode setting I suggested in post #2. Test and see if the problem remains.

Regards

Brian

Yep, definitely more info/update is required from the OP..........

One other possible solution that can be considered is to place (if the OP hasn't already done so) a copy of the XP or Vista version of the uiautomationcore_dll file into the main FSX directory then disable the compatibility mode setting I suggested in post #2. Test and see if the problem remains.

Brian, Thank you for the detailed reply. Your suggestion using uiautomationcore_dll worked!

This is the version of the dll that worked for me:

uiautomationcore.dll.jpg

More info and context for this problem for someone else's benefit in the future:

1. FSX w/ Acceleration works great.

2. I've tried various Compatibility settings (eg. XP sp3, Vista, Win 7, etc.)

3. I always run as the Administrator

4. It only happens when I exit...and each and every time

5. I pressed Run Program and Close... no effect

This issue only came up after I upgraded to the Creator's Update and did not happen on the Anniversary version of Windows 10 But then again, ... I don't remember if I also applied this fix to the Anniversary version too. I probably did.

Win 10 Pro, MSFS Premium Deluxe Steam, i7-8700, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1070ti, hardwired 950 Mbps, wifi 5 Ghz 50+ Mbps, Gsync 27-in 2560 x 1440 Dell monitor, Logitech 3D Pro joystick, and Quest 2 VR

Glad to have been of help.

As this has resolved the issue I suspect that, as stated, on exiting FSX the OS was trying to write data regarding the compatibility changes that it had automatically made at FSX startup to a number of system files, including the W10 version of uiautomationcore.dll, and this failed.

Most people only associate the use of the XP/Vista uiautomationcore.dll file as being only required to resolve a well know issue regarding the use of the FSX menu system during flights and that it serves no other purpose. However, like any other .dll file, it has a multitude of data written to it.

EDIT

BTW if you had to apply this fix after the Anniversary update then you would not have had the issue following the Creators update.

FTR I have always automatically installed a version of the uiautomationcore.dll, in my case the 6.0.6001.18000 version, into every FSX install that I have ever done since finding out about it following crashes experienced when using the menus in my first initial install back in early 2007

EDIT END

Happy flyin'

Regards

Brian

Archived