Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Aces progress before shutdown?

1. Default Aces progress before shutdown?

Was wondering if anybody was on or knew anybody on the Aces team before Microsoft gave them the boot and if so, how was the FSX replacement looking before the shutdown? Just curious. Thanks.

FS Next was looking like P3Dv3/v4 long before its time. Remember though what some of us saw in Redmond that week was an early version. Hard to say what would have made it into the final version. Things need to balance out before a release is made.

3. Default

It's a shame things went south. I can only imagine what we would have today if they had pumped out a few more versions.

An odd question to ask more than a decade later. But I remember them saying that they would have been getting close to an Alpha. I've always thought P3D should be a lot further along than it is, although maybe their focus is not so much at creating improvements to the same degree.

5. Default

Yes, it is an odd question to be asked at this time but It's one of those things that I've always wondered. I've googled it many times with no luck. I'm sure that any NDA has long since expired. And I do agree that P3D should me much more advanced but i think they are really only focused on functionality rather than eye candy. I am keeping my eye on FSW for now. Every update makes me think more that this may be what we are looking for.

6. Default

I would have hoped that they'd focus on a multi threaded Sim and improved ATC at least. To me, those have to be the two most important components in the Sim that desperately need improvement. Imagine being able to fly using SID and STARs and the ATC not clearing you to land while a plane is on the runway or putting you and AI into a real-world holding pattern. All the while you fly happily alone in your PMDG 737 NGX with great frames thanks to the multi threaded code.

I would imagine the ATC would have a realism setting. From low, medium and high realistic. As some planes don't have an FMC capable of flying holding patters, SIDs, STARs, etc.
    Last edited by CRJ_simpilot; 08-30-2017 at 02:12 AM.
    My forum project. Click me
    OOM errors? Read this.
    Pick an Amazon wish list, help a child out
    From RLG, Fly heading 053, intercept 315 DVV, look for the orange glow of a SAM.
    !M [email protected] B5A9 =G s5FCB *CFA9GHF5B8 5B8 { <5J9 [email protected] <9F9 HC H<9 @=6F5FM

I imagine that ACES had just completed ESP and written down a project plan and a rough estimate of what the next FS version will cost. Those numbers just didn't work out for Microsoft at a time when MS had to let go of more than 5000 employees.

Quote Originally Posted by evm View Post
    I imagine that ACES had just completed ESP and written down a project plan and a rough estimate of what the next FS version will cost. Those numbers just didn't work out for Microsoft at a time when MS had to let go of more than 5000 employees.
    No, it was way farther along than that.

You need to review FSX to get an idea of what it's replacement might have been .

1. When FSX was first released it was a slow bug ridden program .

2. Over several years they fixed about 550 bugs and were still working on a list of outstanding bugs when they were sacked .

3. My local computer shop could not understand why latest technology such as multi threading and multi core were not included as programs had already been released with those attributes .

4. Microsoft Aces team was only relatively small .

5. Microsoft rely on marketing cycles , after about 3 years sales of the current Sim drop off , so does their cash income , necessitating a new and distinctively different Sim to force new sales .
    That results in hurried development and scant debugging after release .

6. The Sim was a big seller for Microsoft , so I often wonder exactly what the reason was for the sacking of the Aces team , if I had to guess it would be because of the poor quality of FSX .

7. Anyone who visits flight simulation forums cannot help but notice the constant flow of problems that people have with their FSX , my assumption here is that this might be due to the poor quality of the FSX program .

8. While modern Simmers seem to be obsessed with 'Eye Candy' there is very much more to the Flight Simulation program .
    It is a very complex program dealing with many complex aerospace concepts and functions , such as ;
    shape of the earth , Lat/Longs , Flt Planning , radios and NAVAIDS , weather , AI aircraft , aircraft , etc .
    The list of aspects goes on and on .
    If one needs convincing of the complexity just review two small aspects of the sim ,
    Bob McElrath published two PDF's that are freely available , they are ,
    #1. FS9GPS Module it runs to 191 pages .
    #2. CUSTOM DRAW fs9gps:Map it runs to 167 pages .
    The above gives a small insight into the complex nature of our Flight Simulator .
    The technology involved is beyond even hotshot programmers , here you can see the value of a large advanced aerospace company such as Lockheed Martin being involved , they have access and knowledge of the relevant aerospace technology , so they can progressively apply that knowledge to future improvements to the sim platform .

My own view is that future advances to the sim were beyond Microsoft capabilities and resources .

Cheers
    Karol

I will just say that Karol's post misses the mark with every single point he makes, especially the very last sentence.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast