Thinking Of Buying X-Plane 11

Youcanusespam

Hi, I was recently thinking about making the transition from FSX to X-Plane 11. The game is quite expensive for me at £55. I can fly almost any aircraft fine in FSX, and I was wondering if anyone who has any experience of making the transition from FSX to X-Plane 11 to please give me some advice such as: Is it worth it?

Thanks.

I bought XP 11 on the Steam summer sale for the equivalent of around US$39 in my local currency. You may want to wait for the next big Steam sale and see if it is on offer again. I've never been a fan of XP 10, but XP 11 blew me away. I still keep FSX for nostalgia and because of all the add-ons, but XP 11 is in a different league. The only part I don't like is the ATC, but I'm not a big user of that anyway. There are lots of very good free add-ons for XP 11 already. Many XP 10 ones work fine too.
i5-10600K @ 5.0 GHz, Gigabyte Z490M motherboard, RTX 2080 Super 8GB, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p monitor, CH Products Fighterstick, Pro Throttle and Pro Pedals, Track IR 5, Oculus Quest 2, Windows 10 64-bit

Hi, I was recently thinking about making the transition from FSX to X-Plane 11. The game is quite expensive for me at £55. I can fly almost any aircraft fine in FSX, and I was wondering if anyone who has any experience of making the transition from FSX to X-Plane 11 to please give me some advice such as: Is it worth it?

Thanks.

Is it worth it?

That depends on how much money you have invested into FSX. Are you a default out of the box flyer or have you spent x amount on scenery, aircraft, utilities, etc.

If you're a default out of the box flyer then the transition will be the cost of the programme, assuming your computer can run the sim at a level you are comfortable with, and some time to navigate the new UI.

If you have invested a large amount into FSX then the transition will be more expensive as you would have to reinvest more money to bring x-plane it to a comparable level you experienced in FSX.

So what is wrong with your current FSX experience?

Cheers

Well I'll repeat my above post, I have 3 flight sims installed, I switch about to whatever mood takes me, plus I have 2 train sims and 4 submarine sims installed, and again I switch about.

So from what you are saying we should only have one sim installed and stick with it.

Nothing needs to be wrong with FSX, it's just that x-plane 11 is finally the version that outclasses FSX/P3D in basically every area.

1. What's the ATC system like in XP 11?

2. How is the AI plane system with their 19 AI planes circling you as you fly along in XP 11 compared to FSX?

3. What is it like always flying with summer textures in XP 11 knowing full well it is snowing outside?

4. How is the default flight planner in XP 11?

Pretty sure those things do not outclass FSX/P3D.

http://www.air-source.us/images/sigs/000219_195_jimskorna.png

You will never transition, you will just have another option. Like ColR1948 I bounce back and forth from X-plane 11, FSX, FS9 and FSW. It really all depends on what I'm doing. If I am flying to experience the real weather with windshield rain effects then it's FS9. If I want to fly and see cars on the roads and really good clouds and jsut set the autopilot and chill, it's FSX. If I want really good raindrop effects but not real weather then it's FSW and if I want to see actual runway lights (not dots above the ground) and the best night lighting then it's X-plane. IMO I think as soon as X-planes weather is up to par, FSX will be done but that's just an opinion.

My advice would be to hold off until X-plane is at about version 11.20 or so. There's just not that big of a difference.

1. What's the ATC system like in XP 11?

2. How is the AI plane system with their 19 AI planes circling you as you fly along in XP 11 compared to FSX?

3. What is it like always flying with summer textures in XP 11 knowing full well it is snowing outside?

4. How is the default flight planner in XP 11?

Pretty sure those things do not outclass FSX/P3D.

Jim...if all you can do is bash X-Plane in your now rather tiresome posts, then I'd rather you didn't actually voice your opinion.

There are plenty of areas where X-Plane far exceeds FSX and P3D and vice versa...but to keep going on like you do is getting...quite frankly...boring.

? Didn't see this as x-plane bashing and the points he mentioned are correct:

Like Dominic said, no flight simulator is perfect. But repetitively bashing another flight sim for its faults without ever mentioning its merits just isn't very constructive.

Like Dominic said, no flight simulator is perfect. But repetitively bashing another flight sim for its faults without ever mentioning its merits just isn't very constructive.

+1

X-Plane 11, P3D. 32GB RAM, i7 8700k, 1080Ti, Oculus Rift, 1TB SSD

Regarding X-Plane's ATC, Austin talks about it here (15.40 mark):

https://www.facebook.com/XPlaneOfficial/videos/10154294667361283/

AI aircraft? Yeah...compared to the freeware and payware offerings for MSFS/P3D, X-Plane has (of yet) nothing which really comes close.

Snow?

Download the textures/plugin and get going!

Flight planner? If one has to use the default flight planner in either FSX/X-Plane, then I'd have to give it to FSX. In saying that, online and third party offerings are available for both and are a massive improvement.

But why stop here...

Global shadows?

Sloped runways?

Blurries?

So there you go...neither X-Plane or FSX make for the perfect flight simulator and is why when I read the FSX post 'How do you keep FSX interesting?', I replied:

How do I keep FSX interesting? I don't play it all the time.

Deviating between sims, such as FSX, X-Plane and FlightGear, ensures that my interest never wanes.

Oh...and then there is mountain biking, photography and dare I say it...the PS4:D

If nothing is 'wrong' with FSX then there is no need to change. Therefore something must be 'wrong' for the OP to consider a change.

There is nothing wrong with FS98 either...but it's old and antiquated and nobody wants to fly a sim with old graphics. Technology moves on and we all want the latest and greatest. That's just the way it is.

There is nothing wrong with FS98 either...but it's old and antiquated and nobody wants to fly a sim with old graphics. Technology moves on and we all want the latest and greatest. That's just the way it is.

Correct.

As I have said before. If the OP finds what is 'wrong' with HIS current setup then he should be able to answer the question. Should I buy X-Plane 11.

Archived