Assigning Tasks To Specific Processor Cores ?

A recent thread reminded me that you could buy a utility so that

you could monopolize one core for your flight sim,

and push all of the miscellaneous windows stuff onto other cores.

I could have sworn that about three years ago I saw utilities for sale that did this core-assignment trick.

Were these utilities really around a few years ago? I do not see them now.

Did they work as advertised?

Were they obsoleted by Windows-10?

Could-you /can-you, run your add-on scenery on a separate core or is it part of what FSX is doing?

Please set me straight and/or bring me up to date.

Thanks

JD

You may be thinking of "Multicore Next", by FSPS. It has been around for a year or so and is the updated version of Multicore Environment, which was around for a number of years. I've only tried it for FSX (apparently it also works for FS9 and P3D) and it did work for me, although the product gets mixed reviews. I don't think it matters much whether you use Windows 7, 8 or 10, FSX still operates the same way, so in theory anything that helps to allocate cores will be useful. Multicore Next is sold on most webstores such as FSPilotShop for around $8, but it goes on sale quite often.
i5-10600K @ 5.0 GHz, Gigabyte Z490M motherboard, RTX 2080 Super 8GB, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p monitor, CH Products Fighterstick, Pro Throttle and Pro Pedals, Track IR 5, Oculus Quest 2, Windows 10 64-bit

Snake oil if you ask me. FS already uses just 1 core. Migrating other stuff to other cores just hurts their affinity capabilities.

For me personally, I don't run a whole lot of stuff while I play FS. Just ASE.

I had a program on my other PC called 'Game Booster 3' I think there is upgrades by now but when you run that you can tell it to shut down whatever programs you don't need while you run the sim, some addon programs that you may need to tun you can tell it to leave those if you wish.

It seemed to work OK, after you finish with FS if my memory serves me right it asks if you want to go back to normal mode.

It doesn't only work with FS, you can tell it to close whatever programs you wish and leave whatever game you are using at the time, but it's just another option so I'm sure others will come up with other programs that do similar.

Game booster can shut down too much. I had it installed and it caused bluescreen crashes. My advice: don't use programs with "booster" in their name. Another horrible program for example is "driver booster". Doesn't fix a thing, and easily messes up perfectly good drivers you already had installed.
[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

A couple questions remain:

After your flight sim (FSX) is assigned to a core (affinity),

Can your Scenery, AutoGen, Special-Instruments, also be assigned to different cores (affinity)?

Would you see any improvements by changing priorities? (instead of affinities)?

Thanks everybody. So far I heard the following:

"Process Lasso" .... +1vote

"Multicore Next" ... +1vote

"Snake Oil" ........ -1vote

"Game Booster 3" ... +1vote

"Game Booster" ..... -1vote

Reminded me that "MultiCore_Next" was the one I was thinking about. I found that "Process_Lasso" has a free version. During my reading I also found references to session_only settings for windows_task_manager.

Thanks for helping me to drill down into the details

JD

No you cannot designate sub systems to different cores.

Besides MAYBE moving FSX off of core 0, (which is really core 1), using the affinity line value, there is no reason to mess with anything else. All the rest is pure snake oil and a waste of your time/money.

http://www.air-source.us/images/sigs/000219_195_jimskorna.png

pic.png

sorry i disagree, i have an 8 core cpu and cores 6 and 7 run everything not related to fsx. cores 0 through 7 run fsx. i have zero problems with windows, as you can see in the picture the circled portion is the cpu affinity, that 6 and 7 affinity goes all the way down the list with all windows threads. plus there is plenty of cpu activity throughout all the cores

sorry i disagree,

The question was asking about FSX sub systems, not other Windows tasks. FSX itself can use additional cores for scenery and terrain loading, but the main simulation tasks can only be handled in the primary FSX process. To break things out further would require access to the source code.

Thanks everybody, I am learning a lot, and it is time to experiment, this weekend I will try the free task manager settings to see if I can tell any difference. (Let windows manage Core-0 and I will set FSX affinity for Core-1 (on an i3)).

Thanks for the education,

JD

solved good enough for now

Archived