How long for FSX

klfarley

I'm just curious how long people think FSX will hold up with X-plane 11 and P3D v4 out. I know Qualitywings is coming out with their 787. I hate to put much more money into this old sim if everything is going to moving to a new platform. What are your thoughts?

Ken

New platform? What for?

FSX will last til my cold dead fingers can no longer click 'fly now' as will FS9.1.

I have lots of room on my hard drive and if I had an interest in X-Plane or P3D I'd add them along WITH the others.

NOT replace the others.

WAAAY too many great aircraft to just chuck 'em for a 'new platform'

Look at steamspy, FSX:SE dwarfs XPlane11 in terms of the number of users and even daily usage stats. There's no data for P3Dv4 but at $200 for non-students I doubt it's user base is anywhere near FSX:SE.

When you see addon makers stop supporting FSX that will be a sign that people are not using it anymore.

FSX with DX10 fixer on a modern PC runs great and looks great and to date still has the broadest addon support. I also like to play around with Flight Sim World, DTG is adding some interesting new features and it's easy on the wallet, no SDK yet which is too bad but hopefully it will show up eventually.

Developers have already put out notifications that they will not develop for the FSX platform anymore. FSX will last forever if people won't mind not having any new addons or upgrades. Flightbeam recently had to delay release of their new KSFOHD V2 because the FSX portion of it was taking longer. How long do you think people will stay calm once we see a lot of those kinds of delays based on an archaic code?

FSX will always have a place in my heart, Just like my fs9 and other things I have enjoyed in life but.......It is time to move forward out of an out dated simulator and move in to richer detail, and a more true to life simulator. It is time to move on from the 4gb restrictions that have plagued us for more then a decade. I know some people will not move and will remain stuck in the past and that is their choice. What ever makes each individual Happy. :)

Still using FSX and SE vs but Xplane 11 blows away fsx in smoothness and beauty. No pmdg boeing but zibo mod stock 737 800 is a blast on XP. The ease of adding ortho tiles with superimposed autogen on top is unmatched though huge in file size. Carenado XP 11 planes have no match either. But like most of you I plan on using FSX for awhile with all my orbx stuff , DX fixer fsdt, FB, and soon QW 787. Its all good. Going to load orbx LC into FSW soon and see how that goes. Already done by one person.

Sent from my LG-V700 using Tapatalk

Clap, clap, clap, clap..

Once again, we DO NOT want to get into EULA & price discussions!

bdf369 & others, we WILL buy whatever we want to, we do NOT need to be policed by the likes of others!!!

FSX will last as long as there are those that enjoy using it, and also by those that also do not want to play catchup, which obviously means increased hardware costs.

Myself, I'm happy with what my 3x versions of FS2004 gives me. The only difference is the eye candy, that obviously comes with software & hardware costs. FS2004 flight models are great as well. Also, the older sims just work! Just have a look at the many forum posts on trying to get the newer sims working properly.

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

It's funny; I play PC games since 1989. Every time a game is updated or renewed we were excited about it: new graphics, new features, etc. It seems that a lot simmers are the only persons who stick to old versions of their favorite PC hobby. How come?? I mean, you don't drive a car from 1992 anymore (I might hope) or use a matrix printer etc. What's holding you back to enjoy every renewal devs make to give greater joy in Flightsimming?

Just asking....

How long is a piece of string?

I have friends who still enjoy FS98, and for good reason!

At the end end of day, if the simulator does what you want it to do, it will remain on your computer.

Don't think about the future, enjoy the Now:D

I have been using FSX since 2006 and have no plans to change. For me, FSX as been ahead of its time. I can't fly to the Moon with it, but that's okay. Now I build race tracks like Le Mans 4 FSX ( see in Forums ) and cars for FSX with exhilarating results.

I'm a hobbyist, not a trainee, not in academics professionally nor as an enrolled student, nor do I do any work professionally as a flightsim software developer, so FSX for me. My rig runs great, there's a steady stream of new freeware and third-party aircraft and scenery. And I don't have to play see-no-evil/hear-no-evil/speak-no-evil nonsense. FSX Steam Edition keeps FSX in print, available to hobbyists and recreational flyers around the globe.

While I admire X-Plane's great assortment of aircraft, its oddities and built-in scenery deficiencies have always persuaded me to stick with FSX.

Once again, we DO NOT want to get into EULA & price discussions! bdf369 & others, we WILL buy whatever we want to, we do NOT need to be policed by the likes of others!!!

Hear-No-Evil-See-No-Evil-Speak-No-Evil.jpg

You need to qualify your statement by saying that a few developers have said that. Most haven't - and that includes most of the big developers. It doesn't seem to make much financial sense to ignore the majority of your potential customers.

FSX doesn't give me any OOM errors, I have several Orbx regions, Active Sky, REX, DX10 with cloud shadows, a number of high-end payware aircraft (including A2A and RealAir - as good, if not better than anything in P3D or XP11) so why would I want to buy and invest my money in a new sim with all the expense that entails?

As an aside, I have XP11 and I must admit that it looks better ”out of the box" but not as good to me as FSX with all of the add-ons I have. Orthos look good at height but, just like any other photo-realistic scenery, not when you get close to the ground. Orbx may not be as accurate when compared to the real world but it looks very good at any height. In the end, it's all a matter of personal preference. The bottom line is that I regularly fly in FSX but rarely use XP11. Like many others, I can see no compelling reason to change from FSX.

here ya go, this is just a few of the MAJOR developers that have announced the end of FSX support. PMDG if I am not mistaken has also announced it. Give it time, you will see more and more developers move away from FSX.

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/content.php?17537-Flytampa-Flightbeam-FSDT-and-29Palms-future-products-to-be-P3D4-only

here ya go, this is just a few of the MAJOR developers that have announced the end of FSX support. PMDG if I am not mistaken has also announced it. Give it time, you will see more and more developers move away from FSX.

Wow a whole 4 companies and who is 29Palms? I'm sure all their FSX stuff will be pulled from the stores and shops too, right?

http://www.air-source.us/images/sigs/000219_195_jimskorna.png

If we all helped to support FSX in some way, I dare say it would continue for quite some time. We might not know it, but we're the life blood of FSX, its longevity...basically, is in our hands.

Maybe we should all starting thinking about what we can do to help. Why...I might even take up scenery creation (plenty of time to learn at my age).

W33

X-Plane 11, P3D. 32GB RAM, i7 8700k, 1080Ti, Oculus Rift, 1TB SSD

If we all helped to support FSX in some way, I dare say it would continue for quite some time. We might not know it, but we're the life blood of FSX, its longevity...basically, is in our hands.

Maybe we should all starting thinking about what we can do to help. Why...I might even take up scenery creation (plenty of time to learn at my age).

W33

You are correct!! I personally don't care what sim people use as long as they get the enjoyment they are looking for. We are all part of the same community no matter what simulator you use. If the major developers bail then there will always be a thriving community making freeware addons at the least. I Just wish blue sky's to everyone and long may you fly no matter which platform you use. :)

Im glad that it appears FSX will be around for a while. Knowing that new products will continue to be developed for the FSX platform is encouraging. I think it is great that new sims are coming to market. I still enjoy FSX and plan to use it for some time. I am excited about the Qualitywings 787 and the new CRJ 900/1000.

Oh, please! Come back in a year and then we'll actually know what's happened rather than just employing pessimistic speculation.

LOL, Like I said, I don't care what anyone fly's. Being someone who has first hand conversations with actual developers I know what I know. :)

Archived