RAF LYNEHAM 1970 tribute

Hi, nearing the final stages my 1970 tribute to the recently closed airbase of RAF Lyneham,UK in producing this scenery of a bygone era when the base was bustling with activity hosting the C130, Bristol Britannia and De Havilland Comet 4 squadrons in it's role of Air Support Command. Painstaking work has gone into modelling all the main buildings including the aircraft with textures hand drawn & weathered as it was in 1970. I have many fond memories of flying on the Britannia, Comet 4 and C130 and as part of the ATC flew on them with over 800 hours in the air and have superb memories to share. Little did I dream back then while using the flight sims "the real thing" that one day I would be able to fly "at home" on my own home built sim replicating Lyneham as I remember it.

The scenery is complete with actual flight plans & routes used for "circuit & bumps" touch n go's over the local towns of Chippenham and Swindon that were used then. An accurate rendition of the approach to runway 24 has been modelled over the local B4069 road including the actual group of houses. Also included is a "diary" of my time there which makes for exciting reading and also a section on the then "flight" simulators before digital displays and high end computers.

This is a work in progress and have yet to finalise when and how I will release it. I am happy for PM's If interested or have a vested interest in Lyneham especially from that period.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg9.jpg21.jpg23.jpg16.jpg12.jpg

That is one amazingly detailed and well done scenery!

One question, if I may be so bold, though: How bad is the frame-rate hit?

Often, with that detailed scenery it can reall load one's system up...

Still, fantastic looking scenery! Well done to you sir!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Hi and thanks for your kind comments. Regards the framerate they are running around 45 with all scenery at maximum resolution of 3860x2160 at maximum texture size with HDR enabled too. Frame rates were a prime concern and to minimise draw calls I used large 4096 bitmaps and very clever use of sharing the textures in model which considerably helps frame rates. I have a video to follow showing the system running maxed out. If it helps, here is my system;- Intel i5 3.6Ghz. 16Gb Ram. SSD drives. GTX980 graphics card. 4k monitor.

The scenery will be scaled depending on resolution selected but for now everything is maxed out deliberately so no hidden "slide shows".

Fantastic! Thanks for the answer. That's just what I needed to know.

I appreciate the quick response, as well the hard work you put into this whole thing. Superb work.

Oh, if I may, one last question: Where can we find this wonderful work? Will it be in the library here at Flightsim?

Thanks!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

• 3 weeks later...

Due to the actual paving used on the runways at Lyneham I found it necessary to custom design both runway 24's extension and runway 18 crossover points in keeping with the scenery authenticity I am trying to achieve. I've also completed the night lighting seen in the following posts.

runway24-sm.jpgrunway18-sm.jpg

night-2-sm.jpg

hangarJ-2-sm.jpg

10.jpg

These houses are sat on the edge of runway 24 and was always a thrill to "skim" the rooftops on approach. Because of the close proximity a threshold was put in place so that the aircraft had more ground clearance but nevertheless exciting approaching the runway. In keeping with the 1970's accuracy I've had to model all the vehicles from that era too, seen with these old mini's on the drive.

• 7 months later...
Hi all, just posting that I'm taking on this project to finalise what had been started 2 years ago but never completed! :o With much better processing available this year, I aim to step up what can be achieved on the X-plane 11 platform by vastly improving what has already been designed!

Archived