Interested in getting started in Flight Sim FSX...best starting computer???

CJS

I am looking for the best way to get started in flight simming. A good fun experience that allows me to learn flying with a mid-level cost system that I can continue to learn and build on. I am an absolute beginnner to computer hardware and software but want to understand that part of it as well.

Thank you in advance for any advice you can offer!

Chris S.

Hi chris

While I am by no means an expert I can offer a little advice.

If you have a pc at the moment check the specs and see if it will run Fsx.(If not go from there)

I personally use FSx SE (steam edition ) as I am a Novice but I get a lot of enjoyment from it.

There are alot of freeware Aircraft available so don't rush out and fork out on Payware.

As far as flying is concerned I would follow the tutorials in the fsx sim.

At some time if you do get fsx you will no doubt want to improve the scenary etc.

Again don't rush into it do some research as to what works with what and which is going to be best for you.

These forums hold a wealth of knowledge and youtube is a good place to find imformation but a lot are old videos and might not be relevant to you.

Start slow and build your flight sim up ,if you have any particular concerns I'm sure its been asked and answered in the forums .

Sorry I cant be more help

Thanks Apollo212...I am not sure what FSX SE is, but would i go to Best Buy...pick up FSX and get the computer built from the recs on the game??? As a family we can use a good PC any way

Thanks Apollo212...I am not sure what FSX SE is, but would i go to Best Buy...pick up FSX and get the computer built from the recs on the game??? As a family we can use a good PC any way

FSX SE is FSX Steam Edition and is available through the Steam online store. Distribution of the boxed edition ended a couple of years ago.

As for the hardware specs, the requirements on the box were very much on the low side. For the best performance an Intel i7 processor at 4+ GHz is the best you can get. Get at least a 3.5 GHz CPU as a minimum. AMD's latest Ryzen processors are a good option for price vs performance.

On the GPU side a GeForce 1060 is a good for resolutions up to 1920x1080. Resolutions above that and you should look at the 1070 and the 1080 if you're looking at a 4k monitor.

8 GB of RAM combined with a 64 bit Windows OS is plenty for FSX. The newer 64 bit sims can easily use more RAM though.

No FSX at Best Buy. Don't go by the requirements of the Sim as far as building the computer. Get the fastest, clockable Intel processor, best Nvidea graphics, power supply, and processor cooling that you can afford.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Should also mention single core CPU performance is what FSX needs. It does have limited multi-core support, but more cores won't make a significant difference to the sim. So a fast quad core CPU is better than a slower 8+ core processor. There are other applications that benefit from lots of cores, but not FSX.

Look at my specs below. I hate to brag but 4 yrs ago I went to a small computer shop, 40 miles away, and got very good advice. The parts 'matched' and haven't had any problems at all. And it stays on 24/7 (unless I shut down to clean insides). It runs FSX at 30 fps. I am very pleased with my system. It cost $1,200. Should be the same, maybe less, now a days. I could add more ram. Add a better video card. But upgrades or not I still plan to keep this rig for another 4 yrs. No telling what will be coming out by then. Don't just throw money at the 'problem' (they will take advantage of you - and you don't get what you NEED but what they WANT). Do some research. Or, get a rig like mine and you will be surprised but happy. You can thank me later.

Chuck B

Napamule

Edit: Get 'Dual Channel' ram of low latency! Get 1 TB, 7200 rpm, HDrives (Western Digital is best) and NOT 5400 rpm drives. SSD is 'ok' but expensive. I only use fans for cooling but you could get passive (not liquid) cooling and that helps a lot. Pay someone trustworthy to put the rig together if you get the parts seperate (saves you money). A pre-built reg is not ideal due to quality (bad?) of parts on the motherboard (won't last, etc). Be wise. Read up. Google.

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Out of curiosity went Amazon and priced my rig. Result below. Oh, the motherboard is '-M' which is a better MB than mine.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz) $ 279.99 ($149 used) Amazon

Asus P8H67 Pro -or- (P8h67-M Pro) $ 340.00 Amazon

Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel $ 88.00 Amazon

XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5 $ 115.00 Amazon

Corsair 650 W PSU $ 100.00 Amazon

Dell 23 in (2048x1152) $ 169.00 Amazon

Windows7 Pro 64 bit -or- (Windows 10 Pro 64 bit) $ 140.00 Amazon

MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy $ 50.00 Amazon

Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse $ 25.00 Amazon

Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad $ 18.00 Amazon

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total: $ 1,324.99 Amazon

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Basic advice:

Get a desktop, not a laptop. Desktops are better at keeping pc parts cool while playing.

Get the best processor you can reasonably afford.

Get a decent amount of RAM, for fsx 8 gb will do. 16 is also a good option.

Get a mainbard, one that has all the inside and outside connectors you need. Look on the Mainboard producers sites to compare models. (make sure of what revision of a mainboard the store sells, and look up that revision on the mainboard manufacturers site. The info in online stores is not always correct, so go by the info from the manufacturer.)

Choosing a mainboard takes some time.

Pick hard drives. FSX is about 16 GB when first installed. But there's a lot of freeware addon scenery and planes available. My FSX folder is now about 50gb.

Some FSX scenery files on my system didn't fit on my main drive, those take up another 65 gb on drive E:\

A SSD to se as C drive would be nice.

Pick a Power supply, good quality.

650 to 750 Watt is probably fine. There are websites that calculate the PSU power you need when you enter the other pc parts on the site.

What else, oh yes, a videocard. For fsx you can get away with a medium quality one.

A high quality one is nice, but will only add a little.

---

Btw, be aware that the parts Chuck mentioned are 5 or more years old, and are no longer produced.

(That's probably why they are so expensive. It's because there are only a few left. It looks like those "new" prices are higher then they were 5 or more years ago.)

Look towards some newer kit.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It may be true that the prices are more, or about the same, as they were 5 yrs ago. The nice part is that these 'parts' are tried and true in that they will be dependable and will contiue to function even under harsh conditions. They are still around and perhaps only available from those 'Excess Inventory' type warehouses, and sold thru Amazon. Nothing wrong with that. You COULD pay $4000.00 for a 'newer kit' (rig) that gets you 30 fps in FSX. Or you could get mine for 1/4 the cost. Your call. Hey it's only money. The target is '30 fps' not LED lighting in case and on keyboard. Use my head (hehe).

Chuck B

Napamule

I guess I left out my main point: BUY THE PARTS and BUILD THE RIG YOURSELF. In other words don't trust buying a rig off the self. Some $700 rigs 'sound good' but may not give the service you want and need. So although I agree you can get a newer and faster (?) rig for the same price I quoted it will only happen IF you shop around. Give yourself a week (a month? a year?) of writing down prices and specs. Or, like I did, go to a reputable shop and let them advice you. It's what they do. Give them your budget and go from there. Cheers.

Chuck B

Napamule

This is all outstanding and exactly what I was looking for. Thanks everyone! Sounds like shopping on Amazon for the parts would be smart. And spending about $1,200-$1,500 is what I should expect. Great feedback! Couple more questions to add to our thread:

1. Is flight simming the best with one screen or two?

2. Can the computer still be used for other games or functions that my family would want to use it for as well? Or does FSX take up the entire computer? Just wondering if it function as a home-based family PC as well.

Thanks again!

Relax, it's just a computer program. No wizardry involved.

So you can use your everyday computer, and install FSX on it. No problem.

As you are just starting out. Get one screen for ease of setting up.

Buy a simple joystick with twist control. SO you can use it to pull up, roll right and left, but also twist the stick to control the rudder.

The simple "Logitech 3D Pro" would do nicely to start with.

Then, just install the game and start having fun.

Any questions before that are useless. Just getting to know the game a bit takes 6months to a year. Finding out all the menu options etc. And of course the 'small' part of teaching yourself to fly.

Only then will answers to questions make any sense to you.

Btw, I think FSX SE can be installed on more then one computer. Not sure, but if it can, you could just buy it now and install it on your current pc to see how you like it.

The pc you were advised is a PC to install it and actually enjoy how it looks as well. Plus one that gives you a good chance of running some heavy-load airplane and scenery addons.

But FSX without addons will run on a lower end pc as well. And even though that's not "the bees knees" it will give you a decent impression of what fsx looks and feels like, and what kind of pc you need to get it running to your satisfaction.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

1. Is flight simming the best with one screen or two?

2. Can the computer still be used for other games or functions that my family would want to use it for as well? Or does FSX take up the entire computer? Just wondering if it function as a home-based family PC as well.

Thanks again!

In reply to........

Q1. You can do everything with 1 screen - the vast majority of users do. As you get more experienced you can then go to 2 (or more) screens if you wish.

Q2. Yes. FSX is just a piece of software like any other. The essential thing here that can limit you WRT this is the size of the drive fitted. Ideally, go for the largest drive you can currently afford. Take into consideration what you mean by 'other games and functions' as this should help you determine the initial bare minimum size drive to buy BUT remember, for a drive to function at peak performance to avoid issues/errors etc, it needs some free space to do so. Also be aware that you will not get the 'full' capacity stated - this is due to the way disks are formatted and how they 'reserve' space for it to function. For example, most 512Gb drives may only give you around 470-480Gb or less of usable space.

For example, the OS can take anywhere between 20-40Gb depending on what apps you have installed. MS Office, for example, usually uses 1-3Gb in the main MS Office folder but will also add some components into the Windows/Systems folders - the size depends on the version (Office 2010, 2013, 2016, 360 etc) and office apps installed (Word, Excel, Powerpoint etc). A default FSX install is usually be around 16-18GB depending on version. whilst some of the more modern 'games' out there which can easily top 30-40Gb or more.

Regards

Brian

Archived