Airspeed Changes

louross

Turning left, ias, mach, fuel flow, all lower, right turn, they increase. Why?

lr

You ask why, we have to ask what: what aircraft, what add-ons, what weather? From the above info all I can say is that when you're turning left you have a tailwind and turning right you have a headwind (or the other way round, whichever!)

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Perhaps turning left into the wind, and right away from it.

+1 but much too easy. I think we have to factor in the square root of PIE. Pie are square...…no, cornbread are square...pie are round!

2 good

+ 2 be

–--------------

4 gotten

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Not really, there may be a transient inertia effect. As you turn into the wind your inertia (i.e. your ground speed) will make it appear that your airspeed increases for a short while, until the increased drag slows your down to your original indicated speed.

In other words, for a short while your ground speed (inertia) will remain the same, but your indicated speed (drag through the air) will increase due to the increased headwind. That will soon change to a lower ground speed and identical indicated airspeed.

AFAIK the inertial effects of your actual (ground) speed is one reason you slow down in turbulence, to avoid structural damage even though your airspeed is not excessive.

Tom Gibson

CalClassic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.com

No, that's definitely not the case but this wrong mindset about wind and its effect an airplanes comes up quite often in flightsim forums.

For an airplane it makes absolutely no difference if the air around it is: static or moving at 100kts, hence there can't be any 'transitional' or 'inertia' effect.

Sorry to interject here, it it seem like from what you are saying, wind has no, none, zero affect on aircraft speed, performance, or handling. That seems odd! Interesting topic. :D

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Sorry to interject here, it it seem like from what you are saying, wind has no, none, zero affect on aircraft speed, performance, or handling. That seems odd! Interesting topic. :D

Exactly! Tell that to the crew and passengers of Delta 191 or Eastern 66.

Boy-oh-boy! This one could go on for decades. Sir, you have taken on two of the best! Tom Gibson is no slouch and knows as much about airplanes as anyone on the forum. He is also quite expert on MSfS. The Zipster, on the other hand, is a caustic piranha, given the slightest opportunity, he'll eat you alive. Me? I just read and enjoy the back and forth. As for IAS? I agree with Gibson.

Then you are plain and simple wrong as well.

Don't know if Tom is a pilot IRL but such basic faulty assumptions normally happen only to non-pilots.

bbrz why are you being so argumentative? I think Tom made it very clear he is talking about what happens in FS9, not real life. Since this is the FS2004 forum and not the Real Life forum we must assume that the OP was referencing something that he sees happening in FS9 and not real life, so the responses he has been receiving may not be accurate to real life, but they may be accurate to FS9.

- bernie

p.s. no need to call me Capt folks, Capt Flappers is just a name my wife teases me with because of my flight sim obsession. :o

So inertia makes no difference at all in a fluid environment? Since you used the goldfish analogy, what do you think would happen if you accelerated your (unbreakable and sealed) goldfish bowl to 900 knots and then stopped it instantly? Those goldfish will just be happily swimming around in their bowl?

Tom Gibson

It seems only odd because you are talking about something different.

Wind has no effect on the above mentioned items if we are talking about a still or steady moving airmass.

For a goldfish is makes zero difference if his fish bowl is standing on a table or if you carry it around (at a steady speed). Same applies to an airplane moving in an airmass.

No sir you are wrong. We were talking about the effects of wind on an aircraft and airspeed. The microbursts that hit both Delta 191 as well as Eastern 66 did have swift wind changes as well as up and down drafts. It affected the aircraft (both) that they were pushed into the ground after having the winds increase and decrease their airspeed. So yes what I said is relevant. With all due respect I have read many of your posts. You are just wrong in almost all of them. This is the last I will say to you. I won't get into an argument in these forums with you.

I am a pilot, sir, with many hours and various types to my credit. The MSFS does not operate or function quite the same as reality. Be careful who you pick fights with on these pages, there are quite a few with far more knowledge than most. I learned several years ago to tread lightly; you would be wise to temper your argumentative attitude with a little research. Find out who Tom Gibson is before you argue so boldly. As for me, I'm giving up on your sophmoric approach, I've better things to do with my time.

Oh, dear. This one comes up time and time again. It's a concept that sim pilots - and even some real-world pilots - have a difficult time getting their heads around. I've had a pilot's license since 1967, and been simming over thirty years, and I'm with bbrz on this. I don't think he's trying to prove anything, just trying to correct misapprehensions and misinformation. Too many pilots, in the sim world and the real world, think they have it all figured out. Me, I'm still learning.
[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

ianhr, this one hasn't come up at all. If you read the original question, louross asks why this happens in the sim, not whether this happens in real life. His question was answered in the next two or three replies, the rest of this thread has been about whether Pilots know more about Flight Sims than Flightsimmers do, and the answer is: No they don't.

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Well, just let me say this about that. I thought the implications were rather obvious. Airspeed, etc etc does not change with wind direction. The two examples sighted here are unique situations of sudden gusts (although extreme). And, I did say fs9. FS 9, despite what some people will argue, is not very real when it comes to FS9 vs RW. I usually fly, I should say- use, not fly, the older jetliners and or calclassics (tom gibson) in FS9. In the real world, I flew 732, 727, and several turbprops for various airlines.

Thanks for your responses, and I hope a few did learn something.

lr.

lou"wakemeatthemarker"ross

Certainly not me.

I know pilots are taught that inertia plays no role when turning into/away from the wind. But as a scientist, I know that is just not true. In essence you are creating your own windshear by changing your heading into/away from the wind. But what *is* true is that it probably never plays a role in real life, since other factors (i.e. the physics of turning an aircraft in the air, etc.) probably have a much greater impact on the airspeed of an aircraft, and thus inertia effects are probably never felt in that situation.

Of course, as mentioned above things like violent windshear bring inertia effects to the forefront and can bring planes down by sudden shifts in airspeed. I don't understand why people believe in windshear due to changes in wind speed/direction but not when it is caused by heading changes of your aircraft, but as I stated above it's probably not important IRL and we are discussing FS here.

Tom Gibson

So, somebody here thinks every time I turn left I get a tailwind and every time I turn right I get a headwind? ???

lr.

Since you still haven't provided us with the further details I asked you for in Post#2 of this thread, what other conclusion can you possibly expect from us?

nywingrider above has made a very good suggestion to check your controller settings and assignments, it's one of many technical issues you could be having, but there are several other possible causes I can think of.

Help us to help you sir, we're not online clairvoyants!

I was tempted to give up on this, but I decided to make a last attempt to open at least one closed mind. I tried an EXPERIMENT.

The sim: FSX:SE.

The aircraft: A2A P-51 Civ, a reasonable approximation of a real aeroplane.

The conditions: vis unlimited, no clouds, no turbulence, no gusts, wind 36 knots from 348.

I set the aircraft up at 3,000 feet, 25"MP, 2,400 RPM, in a 360 degrees/min turn. Once the airspeed stablilised, the GROUND SPEED (per the GPS) varied from 161 knots to 233 knots (huh, 72 knots difference - whaddaya know). The indicated AIR SPEED stayed constant at 190 knots.

If it can't see out, the fish in the tank can't tell if the tank is stationary, or moving at a constant velocity. An aeroplane in an air mass is the same.

The ground track looked like this:

Capture.JPG

Capture.JPG

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thank you ianhr, this conclusively and graphically eliminates wind direction from our enquiries once and for all.

We now need to know what louross's full system specs are, what aircraft he's is using when this happens, what panel he's using with it or them, does it only happen in AP or manual mode or both, which weather engine (if any) he's using at the time, what controller he's using (joystick, yoke & pedals, XBox, keyboard, mouse, or any other combination of the above), what controller configuration utility he's using, does he use FSUIPC, is it the free version or the full version - if he wants an informed reply, this is the information we need.

No I didn't say that. I said that inertia is real, that is present all the time, and that it applies in this case. I also said that due to the slow changes it may never be noticed in real life. FS9 may exaggerate the effect, thus making it noticeable in unusual situations. Please don't put words in my mouth.

Tom Gibson

Archived