Happy with new Browser and a few Very Cool Addons!!

il88pp

It won't interest anyone I gess, but I got much faser loading the last few days.

Also maybe a post for the Software Forum, but I thought it deserved little exposure.

I switched to Comodo Ice Dragon. (I ddn't install the included Anti-Virus, as that clashed with the payware AV I already have installed.)

Page loading's a little faster. And the "Google translate bar" at the top of the page doesn''t appear as often.

Install was super easy. I was already mainly using Firefox.

When Comodo first started it asked me if I wanted to import all bookmarks and such, and from where. I answered "Yes", and chose to import from Firefox.

Got all my bookmarks, the bookmarks bar, passwords, etc.

In Firefox I was using a fantastic Addon called "Session Manager".

This has to options to load and store sessions. (There is also an option "Open Sessions Folder" so you can viesw your session filename(s) or store a session file elsewhere.)

After installing Icedragon an Importing Settings, the addons were not installed in it yet. So I installed those in Comodo Ice Dragon as well.

Session Manager in Comodo had no sessions yet. It had created a new sessions folder in a different location. (makes sense).

I Started Firefox, and opened it's sessions folder. I right clicked the current session file and selected "Copy".

I opened Comodo, opened its sessions folder, and "Pasted" the session in there.

Then loaded that.

All the browser tabs that I had been using in Firefox now opened in Comodo Ice Dragon. I could really continue where I left off. Fantastic!!!

Session manager is great. All your open tabs are stored. (Including their tab history I believe.)

You can:

Search for a new SSD/HDD online. (have many tabs open after a while, all about Drives.)

Then you may want to do something different. (Check on a return, and access your online banking. You don't want 20 tabs about SSD Drives cluttering things up.)

You click "Tools-Session Manager-Save session" and save the session. Give it a name such as: "Searching for SSD august 2017"

Then close the current tabs, (right-click on first tab and select "close all tabs to the right". Clears the clutter.).

Then start new tabs about the Product Retrun and the online banking.

Done?

Log out from online banking and: "Tools--Session Manager--Load session" will show a list of saved sessions.

Open session: "Searching for SSD august 2017" and your tabs open so you can continue where you left off. Even can go "Back" in tabs I think.

Anoither Addon I found wonderful to use is "Tab Mix Plus".

Offers many options to add to the contect manu's. (the right-click menu's). Things like "reload tab when tab double-clicked" "close all tabs to the left" and many many more. Oh yes: "open link in duplicate tab"!! that opens the link in the tab to the right, while "open in new tab" opens it as the last tab. (Both options are in my context menu together now, giving me options.

(So many options to choose from/add it wa s a little overwhelming at first, but I figured it out after a couple of days and sinc then it's been extremely useful.

I didn't even mention the main benifit (asset?) of "Tab Mix Plus" It makes it possible to have tabs at specific minimum and maximum widths. And to have tabs on multiple rows!!!!

(I'll add a pic, so you understand the tabs are not fighting (row, tiff) but neatly organised (rows)).:D:D:D:D:;

Notice you can see the title of each tab.

You can allow as many rows as yo want visible. I have it set to show three rows. If you open additional tabs they show on a fourth, fifth, etc, row, but you only see three rows. You cna then scroll up and down on the rows to sow the top/bottom one.

Enjoy!

il88pp.

Cool Addons.jpg

--

options menu.

menu.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

More worth mentioning:

In tab-mix-plus

the context menu for tabs has an otio to add "Reload Tab Every"

if you add that, you can right click a tab, and select "reload tab every-1 min-5minutes-10mins-15-mins-etc-custom time.

You can also select "enable all tabs".

That way your tabs are reloaded every couple of minutes When you view a page by clickuing on the tab, the page is already up to date. (All new posts showing if the tab is the FSX main forum page for example.)

Another nice bit of trickery is "Closed Tabs List".

This in the context menu, when clicked, shows a list of the laft tabs you closed. You can then click the one you want to make it reopen. (In the same location on the tab bar it originally was.)

Worth a mention: "Copy Tab Url" option in context menu when right clicking a tab.

And perhaps: "Pin Tab" and "Bookmark this Tab" worth a mention too.

Well, those are the ones I like, you will probably want to set up our menus very differently. All possible, just check the ones you want and uncheck the ones you don't want to see in the tab-mix options screen.

Btw, most changes applied in Tab-Mix-Plus take effect right away. No restarts of Browser needed.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Be aware that Tab-Mix-Plus for some reason does take over the "what to do when Firefox starts" option in Firefox or Comodo Ice Dragon.

Tab Mix Plus then uses its own sessions manager to handle that. I found that difficult to set up.

I installed "Session Manager" (A Separate Browser Addon) to handle session restoring and such. The options in that are far clearer, and it takes over from "Tab Mix Plus" without difficulty.

Not a problem, but something to be aware of.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Comodo Ice Dragon is essentially a different version (small footprint, etc) of Mozzila Firefox. I have used Ice Dragon for years now. I won't EVER use MS Internet Explorer (or Edge). It does 'ok' with 40 tabs open so don't need Session Mgr. Any tab can be BOOKMARKED so that is no problem either. I try to keep things simple. So it's nice to hear nice things about Ice Dragon browser from someone that knows his stuff. How is it FSX related? Well I can minimize FSX Accel and go FltSimCom to look for a file or ck forums. Does that count?

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Extremely happy with Firefox, page load times very quick, probably depends on broadband speed, I have 100Mbps so speed isn't an issue. Firefox also has a lot of useful free addons available.

You won't be very happy with Firefox when they finally change the approved way add-ons are made. They are about to alienate hundreds of add-ons.

I use Pale Moon myself. It's not perfect, but a lot better than the way asinine Firefox has become, i.e a Chrome rip off. Plus their politics are showing. Especially with the ousting of their CEO. I used to use Firefox since it first came out and before that I was using the Mozilla browser. Shame what they have become.

Neh, Firefox isn't some big bad company.

Firefox is a community efforst. Open Source, GNU. (And Free.)

Their CEO wasn't fired. He left that position on his own accord, for personal reasons.

No addons disappearing because of it either.

Even if standards for approved addons change, so what.

That happens with every Browser update anyway, and not only on Firefox.

It will just mean that the Addon producers will have to update their addons. Or maybe rewrite them.

It won't even slow you down.

Nothing to do with the topic of this thread at all.

None of this has anything to do with the fabulous addons TabMixPlus and Sessionmanager. Nor with Comodo IceDragon.

No need to always assume the worst.

The world really isn't such a dreary place as you sometimes make it out to be.

Enjoy it a bit more!!!

il.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Firefox is going to lose a large user base. You can bet on that. And with George Soros getting his nose in Firefox now by having Firefox block so-called "fake news." The censorship is happening. People aren't going to put up with that. I stay abreast of technology and all things hacker and computer related. I see how this roll coaster is going.

First why this thread was even started I do not know. Doesn't even belong on this site. Second, the CEO was forced to resign by pressure from others within Mozilla and outside pressure from lunatics. I immediately uninstalled Firefox when it happened and will never ever use any of their products again. it is a company run by low life's. I get as many people as possible to move away from it. I even got my whole company to move away from it. Use chrome.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, this thread IS called PC Software Tech, so it is valid.

Why the aversion to Edge?

I have a 5 year old i5 4GB RAM laptop, running Windows 10 Home, & I've tried a whole bunch of browsers, including Opera Neon, Vivaldi Actually a VERY nice browser, Maxthon, Slimbrowser, & even Blackhawk browser, as well as the usual Firefox & Chrome.

Basically, most of all browsers are either based on IE, Mozilla or Chromium, with tweaks here & there.

I found, with my hardware, I end up with Edge. I have found that Firefox & Chrome tend to lag, as compared with Edge. Yes, it is nice to have the add-ons/extensions, but these, for me, tend to bloat. I actually like the tab facility on Edge as well. I also find it quicker to start up from cold as well.

I'm using Chrome on my Android devices, with my Edge history automatically ported over.

Happy browsing,

Robin

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

Archived