Dtxbmp problem

gypsymoth

DXTBmp has never saved to 1024x768 because that size is not recognized by FS.

DXTBmp will always resize to a compatible pixel count, which is one that is a power of two.

32, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024, 2048, 4096

24 bit color depth has nothing to do with pixel count.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

I've been using it for 7yrs or longer & load from FS9, edited via paint & saved it straight back to the texture folder I got it from with no problem. The bitmaps in a A320 panel are 1024x768 & have always been saved as that.....................

StringBean is right, DXTBmp will always convert a 1024x768 bmp to 1024x1024 if you open the bmp with it.

You've probably associated all bmp files with DXTBmp so that when you double-click on them, they open with DXTBmp automatically. I've done the same and it catches me out from time to time!

If you right-click on the bmp file and then select Open with/Paint, it will stay 1024x768 size.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

No, I been using dtxbmp for years to make bitmaps usable in fs9 & I do use paint a lot. I've made 25 or so WW2 airfields & have never come across this particular problem.

I've run a texture through dtxbmp 2 or 3 times to rectify the fault that cropped up & that seems to have done the trick..

Any pixel on a 2D panel bitmap that is true black (RGB 0,0,0) will be transparent in the sim. Any other value, even 0,0,1, will not be transparent and will look black in the sim.

When you process these images with BXTBmp I suspect the color palette gets shifted, eliminating some near black colors and replacing them with true black. This is the wrong way to fix the problem.

In addition to fixing your problem, I suspect you are also losing detail elsewhere in the image. You are, in effect, repeatedly compressing your images and every time you compress an image you lose detail.

The correct way to fix your problem is to paint those pixels true black (RGB 0,0,0) in your painting software.

I doubt dithering has anything to do with this as I believe DXTBmp only uses dithering when saving an image with mipmaps, and there is zero reason to use mipmaps on a 2D panel bitmap.

In fact, as has been stated, there is no reason to use DXTBmp for 2D panel bitmaps at all.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

I'm late catching up.......the tip about black being transparent is useful because it explains a problem & had some time ago go with a hut window....I must have got grey paint on it by accident & wonder why I could see through spots on both. Now I know!

Thanks.

Archived