flyingheavymetal

Utterly fantastic Freeware work from SimShed has earned them full marks and in my humble opinion a mention in the forums. A recent fellow thread praised the work of UKMIL and MAIW and if you are a preserved aviation fanatic these two must trys come from SimShed for the very same reason. Both of these aircraft are available for download on Flightsim.com:

SimShed Westland Wessex - FS2004 Helicopters: Features simple or realistic helicopter flying dynamics and about four different RAF liveries including 72 Sq RAF Aldergrove and RAF Valley Rescue. Fly from the right hand seat in a fully equipped (incl. GPS) Westland Wessex of outstanding quality and detail. IIRC a Royal Navy version is also available with different liveries. Sound and panel included.

SimShed Folland Gnat TR1 - FS2004 Modern Military: Includes sound and panel plus realistic flight dynamics - including the tendency not to be able to trim this aircraft to 'dead level' flight. Versions with and without wing tanks fitted included. At least four different operational trainer liveries included along with the Red Arrows and Yellowjacks colour schemes. Very well studied and accurate rendition of a true RAF workhorse but no single-seater versions included.

I have just come away from 90 minutes of SimShed Folland Gnat and am this impressed with my findings. Don't underestimate this small single-engined jet trainer two of which are preserved in an airworthy status at North Weald airfield in Essex UK. Plenty of fun to be had flying one of these and then trying one's hand at flying a Wessex (license built Sikorsky S-51 in the UK) for a change of scenery! :)

'On the day you finally think you have nothing more to learn in aviation ... Either leave or retire!'

Archived