What are the chances??

mrzippy

Since no one else has brought this topic up yet.......What are the chances that FSX or any of the "other" Sims will give a faithful representation of the total Solar Eclipse on Aug. 21st?

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

No need. You can watch it 'live' (hehe). The 'Great American Eclipse'. The hype starts now (11 day's to go) but the actual viewing time (start to finish) is 3 hrs with 3 mins of total darkness. Lots of fuss over nothing. Schools in the path states are closing for that day. They expect 2/3 of the country is within 3 hour drive of shadow so they are expecting massive (YES! MASSIVE!!) traffic jams. ''Stores will run out of supplys'' so gas up, stock up, charge your batteries for cells and ipads (videos). And, adding to the 'mess', Aug 21 falls on a Monday. Too much monkey business for me!

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Not everyone thinks rare astronomical events are "nothing", Chuck. The media will hype, of course, because it's good copy, but it's still a very real reminder that we live on "This Island Earth", or as Jimi Hendrix called it, "Third Stone From The Sun".

total-solar-elipse-diamondring-beads.jpg

Not faithful in FS9. I created a flight in the default Cessna at KBNA Aug 21 18:30 UT and looked up (CTRL+5) in 'no panel' view. Seems the moon is at the sun, but sun must take precedence over moon in the sim. There is, I think, a little rim of white moon at the edge of the sun. Haven't tried FSX.

Dan

2 min 40 seconds of total darkness near KHOP. That's where the biggest gathering is expected to be. Less than that time frame other places along the path. Here in my town (KMQY SE of KBNA) I'm getting 1 min 30 seconds of total darkness. KBNA is getting about 1 min 55 seconds of total darkness.

Zippy, there's cm addon that adds the planets (replaces) and puts them in the correct positions. Possibly moon and sun also, not sure.

I don't know the (file)name. It was mentioned in a thread on celestial navigating using the sextant. Thread was in the "multiplayer adventures forum". I posted in it too. That could help you find the thread using advanced search.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Found it. The addon I meant is "Autostar X v1.0.1 for FSX" available on flyawaysimulation. (find using google, is faster).

Again, don't know if it adds eclipses.

Installing is not straightforward. Read this for example:

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?236107-Stars-in-FSX

----

searching "Stars fsx" (google), I also found an Fsdeveloper thread on a new stars addon. Only read the cut bits that google showed, from that it seemed unfinished, but who knows.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well at San Francisco YOU KNOW the fog will be thick all day that day. Happens all the time. We (Salinas) also could have fog, or more correct, 'marine layer' clouds all day. I don't plan to do anything 'special' Aug 21 other than to take 3 hour nap. Wake me when it's over (ha).

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

The big solar eclipse here in Europe was back in August 1999.

Having learned about it in school back in the 50's, I waited literally 40 years for the big day.

I even crossed the English Channel to Northern France to be in the middle of the path of totality.

Guess what?

It was cloudy and the eclipse was cancelled!

My Wife, back in Southern England had a better view from our front garden.

Being a TG, I tried to get a refund on the travel insurance, but they refused, saying it was an Act of God!

Hope you have better luck than me...

That stars add-on sounds nice, but ever since I started using Active Sky Evolution there's always a thin cloud layer 99% of the time in the sky and I can't even see my stars. LOL I plan on buying Active sky 16, because little did I know, Active sky cloud art requires it.

Archived