Dead?

andyjohnston

Was hoping for much from this sim, but it was so incomplete that I only used it for a little while before going back to the olds standbys. Am I alone?

Spent way too much time using these sims...

FS 5.1, FS-98, FS-2000, FS-2002, FS-2004, FSX, Flight, FSW, P3Dv3, P3Dv4, MSFS

Firstly, congratulations on your 3,000th post!

Secondly, a few others have done the same as you so no, you're not alone.

This "Early Access" idea seems to be a completely alien concept to some people, maybe it's the title itself? But if Dovetail had called it "Flight Sim World - Beta version", would it have made a difference I wonder?

No matter, after 8 updates in 2 months, with another major one due this week, there is a thriving community on the Dovetail forums rather than here or at Avsim.

The avionics are now usable, we have animated passengers, trueSky weather, a multiplayer server, and people are creating their own repaints and other mods such as importing aircraft and scenery - I've done a re-size of the 2D pop-up windows for widescreen monitors and a guide on how to get the FSX default AI working in FSW. I've just got Ultimate Terrain X Europe working as well today, I'll post a guide to that at the weekend maybe.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

It's still a very incomplete, "work in progress" sim. It's not for everyone, some people prefer to wait for a finished product but it's going to be a good while before we get there. I think it's fun to track the progress and there are DTG forums for bug reports and suggestions/feedback. They also have a web form and I've submitted a dozen or so reports. Some things get fixed quickly and other issues like the G1000 are taking a while to get whipped into shape.

The "big" improvements are the interactive checklists and trueSky weather. Neither are perfect but improvements will follow. DTG has done a decent job releasing FSW in a "playable" form, ie. there are bugs but not showstoppers (for most people). The mission editor is also fun to play with and there are quite a few missions in the workshop.

People are really clamoring for a jet, maybe if DTG is listening we'll get one, but I like the GA focus for now. I would have liked a C182 and would happily trade in the DA's for one, otherwise the default aircraft are quite good.

Archived