PMDG-737 NGX fora noob!!!

CessnaFlyer

yes that's right I called my self a noob. I bought the PMDG 737NGX a while ago and have not really flown it due to trouble programming the FMC. I thought I needed navigraph for the FMC to work. is there a way to set up just a short flight to get used to flying the thing? and do I really need navigraph for the FMC to work? I do like the complexity of the plane but the hardest thing for me is starting it and the FMC.
giving up on flight simulation for good:D

I don't have the plane, but I did consider buying. Navigraph thing held me back.

Recently I found a Navdata update (a very old one) offered as freeware in the Avsim Library.

Search term in Avsim Library: airac 0608

finds that freeware AIRAC update for various payware planes.

fdilename for the pmdg/pic one is:

pic-pmdg_0608.zip

(It's an .exe installer file. Haven't tried installing it myself.)

I do hink that without a navdata cycle you can';t use the fmc for a plan.

The navigation is not based on points in the fsx scenery. The navdata in the FMC is completely separate, and that is what the palen will use to navigate.

(It's like that in the Freeware Ifly 747 too. I fly the fsx version of that. (fly74711.zip in our library). Can't do any flightplanning in the freeware Ifly either without having the navdata installed.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

ah ok. yeah cause I remember the few times I tried flying it when I would put in a gate number or airport it would say not in data base even with Navigraph. so I am not sure I want to buy that again or try flying the plane if the FMC is not useful.

You don't need Navigraph to operate the FMC in the NGX. It comes with an older AIRAC cycle already installed, and other than reminding you that the cycle is obsolete, the FMC will work. You only need Navigraph if you insist on having the latest published AIRAC in your FMC - which is a bit pointless, because it is all virtual anway (in real life and the sim).

If it said "not in database" to every entry that you made, that sounds more like an installation error.

yes that's right I called my self a noob. I bought the PMDG 737NGX a while ago and have not really flown it due to trouble programming the FMC. I thought I needed navigraph for the FMC to work. is there a way to set up just a short flight to get used to flying the thing? and do I really need navigraph for the FMC to work? I do like the complexity of the plane but the hardest thing for me is starting it and the FMC.

The NGX comes with all the data you need to use the FMC and fly. You must: Read the introduction document that comes with the aircraft and then work through both tutorials that come with the aircraft. The PMDG support forum is on AVSIM and users there will be happy to help you.

DJ

You don't need Navigraph to operate the FMC in the NGX. It comes with an older AIRAC cycle already installed, and other than reminding you that the cycle is obsolete, the FMC will work. You only need Navigraph if you insist on having the latest published AIRAC in your FMC - which is a bit pointless, because it is all virtual anway (in real life and the sim).

If it said "not in database" to every entry that you made, that sounds more like an installation error.

so what is Navigraph? if it's not needed what does it do to the FMC that's not already there?

so what is Navigraph? if it's not needed what does it do to the FMC that's not already there?

The FMC in the NGX has an older database, not the current one. The virtual navigation data for RNAV which is used by the FMCs of this world is constantly changing - every month. So if you want to fly the NGX on real routes that are valid -today-, you have to buy an update for that data from Navigraph. If you are happy to fly with the older data, just leave it at that. The data is complete, just not current.

This is a little bit like a map update for the navigation device in your car. When you buy the car, the navigation system has a fairly current database. Over the years, things change on the road network, and unless you buy an update for the navigation data in the device, it doesn't know about those changes. But the roads won't just go away, and neither will the towns and villages. Same thing with RNAV data and Navigraph. The airports won't turn or change their locations easily, and you can fly without any problems using the default database in the NGXs FMC (which was made by Navigraph too AFAIK).

oh ok so it uses the stock jet ways and intersections in fsx then? I am just trying to decide if I want to try flying the thing again or not. cause if I remember right it does not have the passenger immersion of the A2A's captain of the ship does it?

oh ok so it uses the stock jet ways and intersections in fsx then? I am just trying to decide if I want to try flying the thing again or not. cause if I remember right it does not have the passenger immersion of the A2A's captain of the ship does it?

No, not the stock. As I said, it has a Navigraph database already, just not the latest one.

And no, it has nothing like COTS. It is a pure, in-depth simulation of the aircraft, nothing more and nothing less. Being able to use the actual Boeing FCOM (FlightCrewOperationsManual) in a simulated aircraft is no minor feat. But as an airliner was never meant to be flown alone, it is a bit beside the point to drive around in it. At the very least (IMHO) you need an addon like FS2Crew or MCE to really enjoy it - and to keep all this halfway realistic.

I've done a video tutorial recently on starting the PMDG NGX from cold and dark to ready to taxi. Feel free to give it a watch and see if it helps you in any way.

oh ok I will sir thanks. but I am still trying to decide because it's not as in depth as the A2A cots stuff is.

oh ok I will sir thanks. but I am still trying to decide because it's not as in depth as the A2A cots stuff is.
The PMDG 737 NGX is meant to match up to 95% of the real flight systems and dynamics, so when it comes to depth it's generally one of the best.

Likewise from the honest point of view, your issue with the NGX is that you don't understand the flight systems and how they work, and you want to go onto something more advanced? Slow down dude! [emoji14]

Check out my YouTube Channel for FSX, X-Plane and other simulator content!

https://www.youtube.com/c/Drawyah/

The PMDG 737 NGX is meant to match up to 95% of the real flight systems and dynamics, so when it comes to depth it's generally one of the best.

Likewise from the honest point of view, your issue with the NGX is that you don't understand the flight systems and how they work, and you want to go onto something more advanced? Slow down dude! [emoji14]

well I could get the thing in the air once before when I was playing with it. but if I understand right flying this thing from point a to point b is all done with sids and stars correct? that's how it's navigation system works?

well I could get the thing in the air once before when I was playing with it. but if I understand right flying this thing from point a to point b is all done with sids and stars correct? that's how it's navigation system works?
The SID and STAR only applies at each airport. The SID (Standard Instrument Departure) is a defined flight path out of the airspace, the STAR (Standard Approach Route) is a defined path towards the airport. The flight itself is done on VNAV and LNAV.

Check out my YouTube Channel for FSX, X-Plane and other simulator content!

https://www.youtube.com/c/Drawyah/

The SID and STAR only applies at each airport. The SID (Standard Instrument Departure) is a defined flight path out of the airspace, the STAR (Standard Approach Route) is a defined path towards the airport. The flight itself is done on VNAV and LNAV.

oh ok thank you

I think what he means is, that the NGX doesn't have an automated flight crew like A2As Captain of the ship offerings. It is the bare bones simulation, and unless you have Fs2Crew or MCE to go with it, flying the NGX as a solo pilot is not realistic and it can be boring.

Programming the navigation system:

I start with entering startup data into the FMC. SUch as Gross weight (that also sets the fuel on board correctly).

I also have to choose departure and destination airport.

Choose a SID route from the departure airport. Several to select from in FMC. Same as SID in real world if navdata updated.

(SID= standard instrument departure).

Guides you to a point away from airport. Often several SID that lead to one point. Several that lead to another point, etc.

SID starts as soon as you take off.

(So there asre SIDS for rw 10, and different ones for RW28)

From that point:

program the FMC to follow several points along the route.

I don't know real-world charts with points.

The FSX default points (on your FS map) do not match with the ones in the FMC database. The Map in fsx does not change when you install an FMC. It stays as it was. THat means you can't look up the route on the default map.

YOu will need to find the points somhow using a real world map I think.

Another way is to use airwais.

Instead of points you enter the airways you want the plane to follow.

(U358--U445--M353) That kind of thing.

(In the freeware Ifly 747 FMC I just enter the ICAO codes of airports. I know thier approx location. So I plan a Route for example: EGLL-EHRD-EDDF-EDDM-LGAV---> destination egypt.)

At the end I choose maybe one or two airports in Egypt, to set up for a nce approch, and add those to the plan. For example HEAX (alexandria)

That also helps to get the FMC to descend automatically in time. Points in the FMC have a position, but also a speed and altitude planned in. He Autopilot follows those speeds and starts the descent automatically.

In the Ifly I then get the option to select the STAR for the arrival airport. I choose a star for HECA.

The nav database of the Ifly is out of date. Looking up Stars for HECA online those do not match with what the Ifly FMC plans for me. (Often only a few STAR names are still the same, routes are different.). Because of that, when selecting a STAR, I have no idea what I'm planning. Fortunately it shows the route in the Nav display in the MFD in the cockpit. With some zooming out of the display I can make out where we're heading.

For a STAR and SID the FMC adds the altitudes and speeds foor the points. (you could change those though.)

For the other points you need to enter speed and altitude yourself.

------------------------------------------------

THe logic in the FMC of the PMDG is described as better then that of the Freeware Ifly 747. (not that surprising)

One thing that is very difficult in the Ifly FMC is going back and changing info that was previously entered.

And if you make mistakes entering info, the FMC can occasionally 'freeze'\. (It doesn't really freeze, it slows to a crawl. You can get out of that sometimes too though.)

Anyway, the PMDG FMC would probably just not accept wrong input.

Another difference, the PMDG FMC has control over many aircraft functions that 'regular' aircraft would use separate 2D popups for.

It also controls the startup state. (cold and dark, engines running, etc), and other such things.

THe ifly fmc has some of that, and also has the option on a FMC page to save the current FMC plan. (Or to open a saved one)

I assume the PMDG FMC has that option as well.

Time to squeeze a squid, almost out of ink now.;)

Have fun!!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It can be overwhelming. I've only flown the FS2004 version. But I learned mostly by watching a ton of YouTube videos and using a little common sense. Go to the library here and search for the file ngxtutorialv1.zip. There is an App as well called, pmdgsim. That will have checklists to go through from start to finish.

thanks for the information. I have heard of FS2Crew. but what is the MCE one? and you are correct about the single pilot flying. that is difficult and boring. I might look into FS2crew.

MCE is the "Multi Crew Experience" addon. It basically does the same thing as Fs2Crew, but it is less detailed by default. The big plus is, that MCE works with all your aircraft, whereas each Fs2Crew product is specific for only one single addon. MCE is speech recognition only, and you have to like doing that - talking to your computer. Fs2Crew usually has a button controlled version too (make sure to check that it really does). I have both apps, for variety. Plus, MCE allows me to talk to ATC, and that I really like.

MCE is the "Multi Crew Experience" addon. It basically does the same thing as Fs2Crew, but it is less detailed by default. The big plus is, that MCE works with all your aircraft, whereas each Fs2Crew product is specific for only one single addon. MCE is speech recognition only, and you have to like doing that - talking to your computer. Fs2Crew usually has a button controlled version too (make sure to check that it really does). I have both apps, for variety. Plus, MCE allows me to talk to ATC, and that I really like.

you mean the default ATC? that you don't need to push the keys on the keyboard? does it work for Unicom as well?

you mean the default ATC? that you don't need to push the keys on the keyboard? does it work for Unicom as well?

Default ATC, RadarContact and PFE.

MCE is basically a voice controlled keyboard and sim event handler. If it doesn't recognize a certain phrase in the ATC process, you just say "Select three" and it will trigger the third option in the ATC window. But the best part is, that you have a virtual first officer too, whom you can talk to. He/she does things for you as well, even down to complex procedures (MCE is script based, you can even make your own). And you can tell him/her to handle ATC for you.

But I admit that I don't have experience with Unicom.

Search on YouTube for videos made by David Herky. A few years back he did a lot of MCE stuff. And for more information about the NGX with Fs3Crew watch the old frooglesim videos.

Default ATC, RadarContact and PFE.

MCE is basically a voice controlled keyboard and sim event handler. If it doesn't recognize a certain phrase in the ATC process, you just say "Select three" and it will trigger the third option in the ATC window. But the best part is, that you have a virtual first officer too, whom you can talk to. He/she does things for you as well, even down to complex procedures (MCE is script based, you can even make your own). And you can tell him/her to handle ATC for you.

But I admit that I don't have experience with Unicom.

Search on YouTube for videos made by David Herky. A few years back he did a lot of MCE stuff. And for more information about the NGX with Fs3Crew watch the old frooglesim videos.

ah ok I will have to have a look at those. and see if it works for the CTAF is what I meant not Unicom. lol if it would work with that would be really awesome.

Archived