Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: PMDG-737 NGX fora noob!!!

Default PMDG-737 NGX fora noob!!!

yes that's right I called my self a noob. I bought the PMDG 737NGX a while ago and have not really flown it due to trouble programming the FMC. I thought I needed navigraph for the FMC to work. is there a way to set up just a short flight to get used to flying the thing? and do I really need navigraph for the FMC to work? I do like the complexity of the plane but the hardest thing for me is starting it and the FMC.
    8 gigs of ram
    1TB HardDrive
    3.10ghz processor windows 7 64 bit.
    desktop

2. Default

I don't have the plane, but I did consider buying. Navigraph thing held me back.

Recently I found a Navdata update (a very old one) offered as freeware in the Avsim Library.
    Search term in Avsim Library: airac 0608
    finds that freeware AIRAC update for various payware planes.

fdilename for the pmdg/pic one is:
    pic-pmdg_0608.zip

(It's an .exe installer file. Haven't tried installing it myself.)

I do hink that without a navdata cycle you can';t use the fmc for a plan.
    The navigation is not based on points in the fsx scenery. The navdata in the FMC is completely separate, and that is what the palen will use to navigate.
    (It's like that in the Freeware Ifly 747 too. I fly the fsx version of that. (fly74711.zip in our library). Can't do any flightplanning in the freeware Ifly either without having the navdata installed.
    Last edited by il88pp; 08-09-2017 at 03:12 AM.

Default PMDG-737 NGX for a noob!!!

ah ok. yeah cause I remember the few times I tried flying it when I would put in a gate number or airport it would say not in data base even with Navigraph. so I am not sure I want to buy that again or try flying the plane if the FMC is not useful.
    8 gigs of ram
    1TB HardDrive
    desktop

You don't need Navigraph to operate the FMC in the NGX. It comes with an older AIRAC cycle already installed, and other than reminding you that the cycle is obsolete, the FMC will work. You only need Navigraph if you insist on having the latest published AIRAC in your FMC - which is a bit pointless, because it is all virtual anway (in real life and the sim).

If it said "not in database" to every entry that you made, that sounds more like an installation error.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by CessnaFlyer View Post
    yes that's right I called my self a noob. I bought the PMDG 737NGX a while ago and have not really flown it due to trouble programming the FMC. I thought I needed navigraph for the FMC to work. is there a way to set up just a short flight to get used to flying the thing? and do I really need navigraph for the FMC to work? I do like the complexity of the plane but the hardest thing for me is starting it and the FMC.
    The NGX comes with all the data you need to use the FMC and fly. You must: Read the introduction document that comes with the aircraft and then work through both tutorials that come with the aircraft. The PMDG support forum is on AVSIM and users there will be happy to help you.

DJ

ah oh. thanks guys I will see f I can find the cd I made for it and try the tutorials instead of jumping in and trying to go. lol
    8 gigs of ram
    1TB HardDrive
    desktop

Quote Originally Posted by evm View Post
    You don't need Navigraph to operate the FMC in the NGX. It comes with an older AIRAC cycle already installed, and other than reminding you that the cycle is obsolete, the FMC will work. You only need Navigraph if you insist on having the latest published AIRAC in your FMC - which is a bit pointless, because it is all virtual anway (in real life and the sim).

If it said "not in database" to every entry that you made, that sounds more like an installation error.
    so what is Navigraph? if it's not needed what does it do to the FMC that's not already there?
    8 gigs of ram
    1TB HardDrive
    desktop

so what is Navigraph? if it's not needed what does it do to the FMC that's not already there?
    The FMC in the NGX has an older database, not the current one. The virtual navigation data for RNAV which is used by the FMCs of this world is constantly changing - every month. So if you want to fly the NGX on real routes that are valid -today-, you have to buy an update for that data from Navigraph. If you are happy to fly with the older data, just leave it at that. The data is complete, just not current.

This is a little bit like a map update for the navigation device in your car. When you buy the car, the navigation system has a fairly current database. Over the years, things change on the road network, and unless you buy an update for the navigation data in the device, it doesn't know about those changes. But the roads won't just go away, and neither will the towns and villages. Same thing with RNAV data and Navigraph. The airports won't turn or change their locations easily, and you can fly without any problems using the default database in the NGXs FMC (which was made by Navigraph too AFAIK).
    Last edited by evm; 08-10-2017 at 05:50 AM.

oh ok so it uses the stock jet ways and intersections in fsx then? I am just trying to decide if I want to try flying the thing again or not. cause if I remember right it does not have the passenger immersion of the A2A's captain of the ship does it?
    8 gigs of ram
    1TB HardDrive
    desktop

oh ok so it uses the stock jet ways and intersections in fsx then? I am just trying to decide if I want to try flying the thing again or not. cause if I remember right it does not have the passenger immersion of the A2A's captain of the ship does it?
    No, not the stock. As I said, it has a Navigraph database already, just not the latest one.

And no, it has nothing like COTS. It is a pure, in-depth simulation of the aircraft, nothing more and nothing less. Being able to use the actual Boeing FCOM (FlightCrewOperationsManual) in a simulated aircraft is no minor feat. But as an airliner was never meant to be flown alone, it is a bit beside the point to drive around in it. At the very least (IMHO) you need an addon like FS2Crew or MCE to really enjoy it - and to keep all this halfway realistic.
    Last edited by evm; 08-09-2017 at 02:36 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast