Airport / object placement programs.

JSMR

I've dabbled around with enhancing a default airport using ADE and while it looked a little raw and basic with a few hangers and apron objects, it was much better then nothing.

I was looking at some programs like Instant Object Studio, Airport Studio, Ez Scenery, Instant scenery etc. Is there any benefit over ADE which is of course freeware? Most of those mentioned seem to have the ability for you to instantly see what you've done unlike ADE.

I'm not wanting to design payware quality. Just some enhancement to some default airports for own use. And if it's a little easier to see as I go, I'd spend the money.

Just not sure which of those I listed is perhaps the best with the most options for the price. Any help greatly appreciated. :)

The RWY12 program is a very simple freeware program with quite some addon and default library objects but my all-time favorite is the payware Abacus EZ-Scenery program with an extensive default object library and many more to be found on this and other Flightsim sites.

The main advantage of the EZ-program is, unlike RWY12, that you can actually see the 3D object you are placing while you are positioning it in your scenery. At that moment you can also directly tweak it's size, heading and elevation.

Another advantage is one of the program's options, which if selected, will scan your whole system for already existing default and addon library objects, so that even those can be used (again) in other sceneries, e.g. the non-specific trees, cars, buildings, etc. etc.

Hans

You can add the EZ scenery, RW12, and many other object libraries to FSX and ADE. ANd you can then place those objects with ADE.

the ez scenery object libraries are available i the library, and to make it easy a file is available that has all of them combined into one, so you don't need to install them all separately.

I think the filename is ez_1.zip

Also, a large collection of images is available for these (and more) objects, they are shown as previews in ADE when selecting an object to place in the scenery.

I think it's on the ADE site. It's called: "Big Thumbnail Pack"

There's a lot more to discover in ADE. Stick with it for a while, it will just get more and more fun as you use it more.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

For other libraries, search: "Sidney Schwartz" in the file library.

He made many object libraries with fun objects,

and , most importantly, very complete downloads.

Clear install instructions, and Thumbnail images for the previews included.

Installing a his addons will teach you how to install additional libraries in ADE, how to install the Thumbnails. It's a great way to learn the basics.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i do have ADE and all the libraries installed. It seemed though I couldn't select much from the libraries of anything. Only the default fs9 objects seemed to be available.

I think the idea of ez-scenery/instant scenery was seeing the result straight away I guess. But maybe I'll mess around with ADE a little more.

'm not saying those other programs aren't good. Just that ADE can add a lot more objects then just default objects. (btw, it can also edit taxiways, runways, signs, taxiway names, etc.).

Use whichever tool you prefer of course.:);)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi,

In ADE you must first add the addon library objects to the program by going to Tools/Library Object Manager and adding the relevant BGL files. Then they will be available when you use Add.../Library Object. But keep in mind that unless you download or create thumbnail images for them you won't be able to see them visually.

I use ADE to create my airports and Instant Scenery to place library objects. It's so much easier than in ADE (or RWY12, which is actually worse than ADE) that I can get twice as much placed in a given time than if using ADE. That's my recommendation.

Tom Gibson

CalClassic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.com

Hi,

In ADE you must first add the addon library objects to the program by going to Tools/Library Object Manager and adding the relevant BGL files. Then they will be available when you use Add.../Library Object. But keep in mind that unless you download or create thumbnail images for them you won't be able to see them visually.

I use ADE to create my airports and Instant Scenery to place library objects. It's so much easier than in ADE (or RWY12, which is actually worse than ADE) that I can get twice as much placed in a given time than if using ADE. That's my recommendation.

Thank you also. Yes I remember now I used ADE the RWY 12 to enhance a default airport. I got a little confused what I wsss using.

And I've been trying out the demo of Instant Scenery which seems pretty easy to place objects.

So I'll probably get that and use it in conjunction with ADE and see what happens. :D

Thank you both for the replies and help.

Just to add to leuen's response:

1) I am using EZ Scenery in FS2004 on Win 7 64 bit. It's OK, but it keeps forgetting the registration key which then has to be re entered. Minor, but annoying.

2) I believe there are issues that EZ Scenery will not work in FSX. As Instant Scenery is a similar (same author?) but improved beast, and will work in both FS2004 and FSX, then yes, Instant Scenery would be the better choice. (Could be wrong - I'm open to correction on EZ Scenery not working in FSX)

Cheers

Archived