Jerky images in FS9 Windows 10

michaeljulian

I have at long last loaded FS9 into Windows 10 and everything is ok except the images are hopelessly jerky. I have played around with the frame rates but to no good. I have cut scenery back so that there is none with a little success but it looks ghastly. I have 6gb of memory so it cannot be in that area. Do I need to update drivers and if so which ones? Any help appreciated.

Sounds like there's some other program or process constantly writing to the HD while FS2004 is running. A few suggestions to get you started:

Have you switched off File Indexing for your HD?

Have you made an exception for FS2004 in your Antivirus settings?

Have you searched the forums for Windows 10 issues like this?

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Haha! It's a steep learning curve but you'll get there - we've all been through it too.

You did ask about updating drivers and that will help a great deal - the quick and simple method I use is Driver Booster. This freeware program scans your system for all outdated or missing drivers and replaces them with the latest versions automatically. You can download it here: http://download.cnet.com/Driver-Booster/3000-18513_4-75992725.html

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Tiger 1962

I took your advice and updated three drivers that needed it through Driver Boost. Unfortunately no change.

The default aircraft in the review panel rotate smoothly and all instrument dials etc move smoothly BUT the background is jerky. For example taking off the runway passes beneath the aircraft in a jerky fashion and once airborne the scenery moves jerkily. All added aircraft - and I have only added two- rotate jerkily in the preview panel and the background is very jerky. The frame rate is set at 70 and the background density at medium. Any other ideas?

This issue is known as stuttering or 'the stutters'. I have my frame rate set at 25fps and don't get any stuttering, you might give that a try. Also check that your FS2004 screen resolution is the same as your monitor's recommended setting - mine is set at 1360x768 for both.

If you have any of the Settings sliders set to full right, move them back to say halfway for now and check again for stuttering. If it's cured by that, move them gradually back up one at a time and check again until you find the culprit.

Tiger1962. I did as you suggested and used the Driver Booster with disastrous results. It did not affect FS9 but upset other porgrammes and has turned Google Earth black only. I have emailed them and will ask for my $9.99 back if it is not cured. The system works best with the frame rate at max but it is still stuttering on all ground images. Instruments are OK. If I look at the aircraft from outside on landing it is about 1 frame per second!

Sorry to hear about Driver Booster - it is Windows 10 compatible, I checked. I use the free version with Windows 7 x64 bit and it's been great so far.

I think we're going to need some more detail about your exact system specs, including your Internet Security and Antivirus programs, the FS add-ons you have installed and the FS utilities you are using, before we can help you further with this issue.

Tiger62

The DRIVER BOOSTER said I needed 4 updates and duly completed these. Apart from there being the problems that I mentioned it effectively removed Google Earth. I contacted them and they gave me directions to do a RESTORE to before the downloading of the booster. However their instruction did not match the Windows 10 instructions so I am going to try that this weekend. However, alarmingly and after having paid my $9.99 the Booster window came up saying i need 17 updates! I have ignored it. FS9 is working now with the default aircraft and one CalClassic. The stuttering occurs near the ground with only limited detail selected and if watching the aircraft from the outside on replay about 1 frame per second! The security I have is just that which comes with Windows 10 and Norton 365.

I think the best thing you could do would be to start again from scratch:

Back up your important files and folders, then re-install Windows 10 and let it install all the updates before re-installing FS2004.

This seems to be a perennial problem with FS2004 and modern hardware. A common problem is that FS2004 was written without consideration for multi-core CPUs. I assume that, given you are running Win10, you have a multi-core processor. Try this:

With FS running go to Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del). In Processes find Microsoft Flight simulator and right click then select Go to Details. Then select fs9.exe and again right click. Now select Set Affinity (ie choose processor cores that the program will use). Deselect All Processors and select just one of the available ones (probably not CPU 0 (Leave that for the system) and click OK. Now go back to FlightSim 2004 and in my experience you will find that the problem disappears.

If that does solve the problem then you have another, in that this is not a permanent solution, you will have to go through the same procedure every time you load FS. There must be a registry hack but I haven't found it (as yet). However Processor Lasso (free download) will enable you to permanently set a program to run on only one CPU core. Run the program and right click on FS9.exe and select CPU Affinity (Limit CPU Use) – select Always and then choose just one CPU.

Worked for me.

Tiger62 - jf Carter

Thanks for your feedback. I have now managed to load default aircraft and add-ons with success. All dials and instruments work correctly but the background - sky, ground etc is desperately jerky.For example id using the S key I look at the aircraft from out side it is awful. If I should use instant replay it can be one full second before the next frame comes up. I have played around with all the settings and it seems to me as if Windows 10 as an upgrade by me cannot handle all the data as Windows 7 could. I may try the last recommendation but am away for a few weeks.

jfcarter. I have trid to complete what you suggested but when I run the program and right click on FS9.exe to select CPU Affinity I find two FS9.exe files. One is clearly running in the 150,000 plus range and the other is static at 49,000 plus. I don't know why there are two and it has not cured the stuttering. It seems to be very much related to aircraft file size. The bigger it is the greater the stutter.

• 4 weeks later...
I have now managed to get FS 2004 up and running but still find poor frame rates. The computer has 6GB of RAM and the CPU is a Pentium ® Dual Core E5300 at 2.6ghz. That surely should be amply fast enough. Any body have any ideas. I notice that I am unable to use the backspace, enter and down keys to view the aircraft from above or below so something has not loaded correctly.

Maybe delete your fs9.cfg file and let the system make a new one on next fs9 startup. As far as windows 10 goes, if I remember correctly it will not let you update drivers except through the system update function. If you did update drivers through another means I think windows 10 would ultimately update those drivers again to windows 10 specific drivers. Also, as of a few updates ago, windows 10 now has a gaming function that you can assign to specific .exe files, and resources will be automatically freed up to run the .exe files assigned to gaming mode, if you don't have that then maybe you need to check your update history and see if all updates installed correctly. good luck

- bernie

p.s. no need to call me Capt folks, Capt Flappers is just a name my wife teases me with because of my flight sim obsession. :o

Flight Simlator 2004 exe is in Application tab, not Processes tab. Being that you have a Pentium that Win XP or Win 7 would be able to 'work with' it seems that Win 10 just might not WANT to work with your 'old' CPU. Win 10 can handle all that FS9 can throw at it so THAT'S not it. It has to be you not being able to get the updates ('downgrades'?)you need. It can take a full day for Win 10 to do it's 'thing' (update drivers, etc). Especially if it can't find the files it needs for the Pentium. In which case it would revert to onboard video, which would result in you getting 5 fps. I love Pentiums. But the 3.5 Ghz ones. Not the 2.6 Ghz ones. Keep plugging - you'll figure it out. When you do you should then get 100 fps in FS9.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

• 3 weeks later...
I have now reinstalled Windows 10 and checked for all upgrades and updates on my drivers but no success. I have also been through the compatability mode change and it makes no difference. The default aircraft are acceptable but something as simple as the De Havilland Chipmunk out of Seattle, external view, gives me 1.5 frames per second. I just don't understand. Sames spec with windows 7 and it ran perfectly. Anybody any further suggestions?

About as helpful as a chocolate teapot.

To the OP

I went down the upgrade route from Win7 to Win10, without uninstalling any programs. FS9 carried on running as if there was no OS change as did FSX. My fps in FS9 run between 60 and 135 depending on how complex the aircraft and scenery is. I even did a fresh install of FS9 and that runs the same as my original install. I have no idea what is causing your problem, doubtful it is the video card, I am using a 2GB GTX750Ti.

Find out what version or model of Pentium you have and go here to find out if it qualifys for Flight Simulator with Windows 10 as OS.

Link: http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=20768&canMyCpuRunIt=Windows%2010 .

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

To the OP, you have not yet told anybody what video card you are using, that would be very helpful to know. When I upgraded to windows 10 on my laptop my FS9 performance went from great under windows 7 to barely adequate with windows 10. I struggled with that for almost a year, trying everything imaginable. Then just yesterday I decided to fiddle with the settings in the AMD Catalyst Control Center changing everything about how the video adapter was controlled one at a time. Lo and behold my FS9 is now running better than it did on windows 7 with no stuttering at all and all my textures are 32 bit, looks just absolutely great!

- bernie

p.s. no need to call me Capt folks, Capt Flappers is just a name my wife teases me with because of my flight sim obsession. :o

Just today I found out that Win 10 has a 'App' that runs in the background, and uses cpu cycles. It is for recording 'Games' or instant replays. Google it. It's a Reg Edit operation (used to have it but can't find) to disable it and they say it improves your frames of Sim. Worth a shot. I don't have Win 10 so have not tried it. Good luck.

Chuck B

Napamule

Edit: Found the page with instructions: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=6239-DZCB-8600

Archived