What settings in CFG to rotate aircraft?

ColR1948

My question, I've got a few aircraft that will roll down the runway with flaps set and they lift off on their own, others need me to pull back on the joystick.

I've tweaked the default vertical speed, the lift scaler but that doesn't seem to work, I don't want them to lurch up almost vertical, just lift on their own nice and steady before they reach the end of the runway, so any help appreciated.

My question, I've got a few aircraft that will roll down the runway with flaps set and they lift off on their own, others need me to pull back on the joystick.

I've tweaked the default vertical speed, the lift scaler but that doesn't seem to work, I don't want them to lurch up almost vertical, just lift on their own nice and steady before they reach the end of the runway, so any help appreciated.

That's not how to fly an aircraft.

AoA (Angle of Attack) is the key. Trim and elevator is the solution.

That being said most birds in FSX can be trimmed to fly themselves off and you can experiment with each aircraft at every loadout or fuel setting until you get them to do what you want.

There will NEVER be a `one size fits all` solution and I caution you against messing with things in the aircraft.cfg file you don't understand.

Default vertical speed is simply the baseline setting for the autopilot.

Lift scalar has NO effect on AoA.

Put them back to what they were.

Thanks mallcott, as for messing around with things I don't understand in the cfg, I always do a backup first, I learnt that years ago lol.

That is why I asked the question, I have learned a few things already in this thread, so next time I happen to tweak the cfg I will know a bit more.

A lot does depend on how well the model creator has set up the .cfg as well as the .air file, & having a sufficiently detailed flight report in order to interpret the information. Mind you some aircraft in real life have a nose down force induced when the flaps are lowered, others can be the opposite.

Two factors come to mind, one is the C of G position, the next is a combination of the Lift & pitch moment curves & the pitch moment for flaps value in the .air file. There are other values that can affect the overall flight characteristics, so one is walking a tightrope.....& hopefully one gets it near to reality.

I know what you mean not all AC are the same, I am a little confused as well now, if I'm flying an aircraft that lifts off by itself, do I pull the stick back before it lifts?

In the post above it says that is not the way to fly, I mean why pull the stick back if the AC is lifting anyway?

I know what you mean not all AC are the same, I am a little confused as well now, if I'm flying an aircraft that lifts off by itself, do I pull the stick back before it lifts?

In the post above it says that is not the way to fly, I mean why pull the stick back if the AC is lifting anyway?

This and the post above is why you should reference AoA.

The KEY to flying: anything from the Cessnas to the Boeings is: TRIM TRIM TRIM. PERIOD!

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Just tested and with 100% fuel, neutral trim and 0 flaps the 172 unsticks at 100kts!!!!

That's basically the cruising speed!

With the first stage of flaps unstick speed is still 90kts.

Always use full throttle. Start pulling back the yoke at approx 60kts

The above hi lights an important aspect relating to flying a particular aircraft .

It is advisable to know various airspeeds applicable to the aircraft currently being flown .

Check any readme for that aircraft or do a google search , basically you are after ,

take off/rotation , approach and landing , cruise airspeeds at minimum .

It can be difficult getting that information , and it's compounded when you fly a lot of different aircraft types .

You can get a set of ball park figures that might help from the aircraft.cfg , as follows ,

[REFERENCE SPEEDS]

FLAPS_UP_STALL_SPEED= 130.000

FULL_FLAPS_STALL_SPEED=96.000

CRUISE_SPEED=570.000

MAX_INDICATED_SPEED=1687.070313

MAX_MACH=2.6

(above example taken from f-111 aircraft )

the " FLAPS_UP_STALL_SPEED= " can be used as a rough estimation of both rotation and landing airspeed , at least it's better than nothing or guessing .

If you choose to use " FULL_FLAPS_STALL_SPEED= " then multiply that speed by a factor of 1.3 to arrive at a speed to use ( ie ; 96 x 1.3 = 124.8 ) .

Cheers

Karol

I realize this is getting a little specific, but the F-14 is designed to "balloon" off the runway at take-off speed. I can provide the NATOPS quote if you want. You don't need to trim it, or pull back, it just flies off all on it's own. Dino's F-14 does this very well. In fact, the NATOPS specifies that pulling back on the stick to try and force rotation, will actually delay the take off, as the stabilators are big slabs, and can make a ton of drag if you pull the stick.

The P-38 is the same. It just...flies...:pilot:

The F/A-18 will also fly it's self off, but it uses 10° nose up pitch trim, set by pushing a button on the rudder trim knob, of all places. On the carrier, the pitch trim sets to 13.5° if the launch bar is down when the button is pressed. That's why the pilot's hands are up on the "towel racks", or hand-holds in the cockpit, when they cat off. The plane captures the correct climb angle by it's self. Then the pilot may grab the stick and throttle. Again, this is all right out of the NATOPS and I'll take it's word.

Just a couple examples of planes that do it by themselves, no pilot input at all. I realize, very specific, but a good example to check the individual plane you're flying's POH for the correct procedures. Not all planes are the same. No hard and fast "to take-off, do this every time" at all.

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Archived